Best stereo integrated? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 01-15-2012, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking to buy an integrated amp to use with what will most likely be a pair of Ascend Sierra-1's. My criteria are:
  • Good Amp-I will be quite near to them, but at least 40wpc-Will be used mostly for music, so must have good audio quality, detail, dynamics...etc
  • Either something that includes a dac, or a recommendation for one that will still fit my budget
  • Headphone Jack
  • Not humongous in size(not a top priority however)
I have looked at the Decco2, Nova, HK3490, NAD 326/356/725BEE, and the Onyko 8255. However, I have seen numerous complaints of both the decco2 and nova's lack of bass, people don't seem to love the HK3490, the 326 will shows its limitations when used with speakers like the Sierra's. The 356/725 seem good, maybe a bit big and pricey, but will go with it if it is the best option. If yo anyone has anything to say about these, as they all seem to almost be just what I want. Also, please reccomend anything you think would be good for me in my situation. I'd like to keep it under $1000 if possible, but will go higher if need be.
(I do like that the Peachtrees include a DAC)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 01-15-2012, 07:53 PM

The Hk 3490 imo is probably one of the best values in a stereo receiver.
I personally would not discount it.
120 wpc, digital inputs etc.....I have spotted it online for under $275.
post #3 of 23 Old 01-16-2012, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone?
post #4 of 23 Old 01-16-2012, 08:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 415
How bout this one? Only 4.5" high too.
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo...umber=CA840AV2

Afro GT
post #5 of 23 Old 01-16-2012, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

The H/K is probably not high end enough of a brand for people commenting on dedicated 2 channel integrated or separates setups. Another more logical possibility is that H/K's reputation also took a bit of a hit as the recent AVR's had some quality/firmware issues. However even considering that the 2-ch units were not part of the problem.

If you can deal with the size you are not going to find much better of a value than the H/K without considering used, and the amplifier section is certainly robust and very smooth. Of all the criticisms I have heard or offered on H/K, basic amplifier sound quality has never been one of them.

If you don't need the power there is also a 2x80w 3390 version for less cost.

H/K has offered these same two tiers (2x80 and 2x120) of stereo receivers for many, many years, just updating the styling and remote. If the remote and styling are of little consequence to you, you could save even more with the older models.

I would give a H/K a chance from a vendor who accepts returns first. Spend the other $750 later should you decide it is not OK.
post #6 of 23 Old 01-16-2012, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Have you checked out Audio Advisor for one of these. Excellent selection from different brands and models. Great people to do business with.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/products.asp?dept=9
post #7 of 23 Old 01-16-2012, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Being that you have not specified the budget for this endeavor,
May I suggest the Anthem Integrated 225.

Integrated 225

I had a chance to listen to it with a pair of Golden Ears Triton Two towers. Simply put, Remarkable combination. The Anthem is powerful and well built. It's worth a look.

"Chance favors only the prepared mind. "Louis Pasteur"

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #8 of 23 Old 01-16-2012, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldgibson76 View Post

Being that you have not specified the budget for this endeavor,
May I suggest the Anthem Integrated 225.

Integrated 225

I had a chance to listen to it with a pair of Golden Ears Triton Two towers. Simply put, Remarkable combination. The Anthem is powerful and well built. It's worth a look.

A loose budget was specified, and unfortunately this goes a bit too far over, as I would still need a DAC. Also, it's a bit big.
post #9 of 23 Old 01-16-2012, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicfan333 View Post

A loose budget was specified, and unfortunately this goes a bit too far over, as I would still need a DAC. Also, it's a bit big.

My apologies for missing the budget you stated in the original post.

A cost effective but high quality alternative to the Cambridge Audio Azur 840A is the 651A Integrated Amp which is well under the $1K threshold. Not only that, like the 840, it falls within your dimension requirements.

651A

"Chance favors only the prepared mind. "Louis Pasteur"

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #10 of 23 Old 01-16-2012, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Buy the HK 3490 for ~ $300. You're just wasting money by going with any of the others.
The 3490 is a great value.
post #11 of 23 Old 09-30-2012, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
I would go HK990 if you can afford it. $1600 at most and as cheap as $800 at jr.com Pure A/B clean brute power.
I did not catch your budget but the advantage of the peachtree is the beautiful DAC and a tube pre that will make you never feel the need to choose between solid state or tube amp. It's really quite genius. Also you can use it as just a pre-amp later down the road and buy a power amplifier which i suggest EVERYONE does. If you've ever heard high end then you know that a seperate power amplifier is pretty much a must unless you get a good integrated like the hk990 or even the mcintosh ms6500. The comment about the peachtree power being lacky in the bottom end is because it's D amplification. Doesn't sound bad but once you move onto better amplification you start to really get the audiophile qualities like superior instrument separation, imaging and life to everything. Never judge a speaker when listening through anything other than high quality components. One speaker might sound like ass through one receiver and another speaker sound good through the same receiver. put both those speakers through good amplification and a good source and that speaker that didn't sound good might open up and blow your mind while the other might have hardly changed and sounds like a typical budget speaker.

who do i talk to around here about changing my title from "advanced member" to "specialED member"
post #12 of 23 Old 09-30-2012, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

If you can get the hk990 for cheap enough then go for an idac from peachtree right now for only $600 and your system will sound great.
If not then go with a peachtree integrated and then just upgrade to a power amp later and use is as a pre-amp.

who do i talk to around here about changing my title from "advanced member" to "specialED member"
post #13 of 23 Old 09-30-2012, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Sooooo many peope are told to buy this or that on this website but i guarantee that if you listen to what i say you will have an actual AUDIOPHILE system. Alot of people that post on here don't have a system that would make me bother turning my head. That doesn't mean they didn't spend enough, just that there's so much out there and lets be honest with each other. There are a lot of people that spend a week or two reading the forums that think they know everything and give people information they read. Who's to say that what they read isn't from another poster in his same shoes. People always say you have to go to a store and try out different speakers and find what one you like. That's correct but i can tell you that if you don't go there knowing what you're doing then you'll probably leaving wanting something you can't afford and something in your hand you didn't really want. Don't EVER listen to a speaker through a receiver. Some can sound alright but if you really want to know what the speaker is capable of have a list of speakers in your range and then even if you can't afford a poweramp call and have them set up a few different sets of speakers to a good component stack. Let them know that your intentions are to see what the speakers are capable of because you will plan on upgrading in the future. You will be very very very suprised in the differences of speakers in every price range.. Some are amazing and some are a straight up rip off

post #14 of 23 Old 09-30-2012, 12:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
^^^

rolleyes.gif you necro'd a thread to post that, ummm, somewhat less than useful information...

i'll give you credit for one thing... the last sentence of your last post is true...

the rest of it is hooey... piled very deep, no less...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #15 of 23 Old 10-04-2012, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

you are a negative person and have a problem with insulting people. Atleast give me a chance by arguing with me a little. You're basically saying that power amps are useless and everything you need and more is in an av receiver and anything more than a receiver is a rip off.

post #16 of 23 Old 10-04-2012, 01:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthrb4u View Post

Quote:
Sooooo many peope are told to buy this or that on this website but i guarantee that if you listen to what i say you will have an actual AUDIOPHILE system.
Quote:
Who's to say that what they read isn't from another poster in his same shoes.

What would your credentials be so that you are not the person in "his same shoes"? wink.gif. As soon as someone posts "i guarantee that if you listen to what i say you will have an actual AUDIOPHILE system" I get the popcorn ready wink.gif. All this after 16 posts, brilliant!

To the OP have you considered used? Take a look on Audiogon and you might be able to step up in quality but stay below your budget. The suggestion of Audio Advisor is a good one as well. I have dealt with them in the past and they are great to deal with. Sometimes AA has great open box and clearance items on sale. I had the Sierra-1s for quite awhile and thought they were an excellent speaker smile.gif.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #17 of 23 Old 10-04-2012, 11:05 PM
Advanced Member

sorry i spent more time at a speaker shop than typing on this forum

post #18 of 23 Old 10-04-2012, 11:08 PM
Advanced Member

maybe i was a little drunk when i wrote the whole "if you listen to me i promise" part

post #19 of 23 Old 10-05-2012, 06:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
Quote:

you are a negative person and have a problem with insulting people. Atleast give me a chance by arguing with me a little. You're basically saying that power amps are useless and everything you need and more is in an av receiver and anything more than a receiver is a rip off.

there's nothing to "argue" about. other than the parti highlighted, you are simply wrong...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #20 of 23 Old 10-08-2012, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

No one highlighted anything that would prove that my advice was wrong. Only pointed out that what i said about how "if you listen to me i promise," was a little overboard, but hey i can admit that i was drunk and that made it sound like i was begging someone to take my advice. Sounds to me like you've been on these forums to long and have a problem with insulting people that mess up a little. Bet you're not such a king of the hill in real life and that's why you're on here all the time. But anyways, what's wrong with my suggestion of going with a good integrated with pre-out so later they could upgrade. I personally have heard a lot of speakers and know how much a good amplifier can help out a system. Go ahead, go buy some 802D's and by a marantz receiver to pair them with. Granted they can take 500w but you can drive them pretty loud being they're 90 dB at 8 ohm. You wouldn't.

post #21 of 23 Old 10-08-2012, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:

No one highlighted anything that would prove that my advice was wrong. Only pointed out that what i said about how "if you listen to me i promise," was a little overboard, but hey i can admit that i was drunk and that made it sound like i was begging someone to take my advice. Sounds to me like you've been on these forums to long and have a problem with insulting people that mess up a little. Bet you're not such a king of the hill in real life and that's why you're on here all the time. But anyways, what's wrong with my suggestion of going with a good integrated with pre-out so later they could upgrade. I personally have heard a lot of speakers and know how much a good amplifier can help out a system. Go ahead, go buy some 802D's and by a marantz receiver to pair them with. Granted they can take 500w but you can drive them pretty loud being they're 90 dB at 8 ohm. You wouldn't.

Because what you suggest has been debunked so many times on this forum, it really isn't necessary to spell it out. Particularly to someone who responds to an succinct correction with insults, which you repeat again in this post.

Spend some time here reading with an eye to unlearning what you think you "know". Or if you want to take the harder road, try and support your statements regarding the alleged inferiority of receivers with some form of valid science based explanation of why you believe that to be true. Good luck if you try that....
post #22 of 23 Old 10-08-2012, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Around $1000? Go give Yamaha A-S1000 a try. (bought one two years ago, I will keep it until A-S3000 comes out next spring)

BD-A1010/CD-S1000/PF60
HTR-6290/A-S1000/KDL46V5100
NS-555/SOAVO-900C/NS-125F

BD - 242
HD - 7
post #23 of 23 Old 10-08-2012, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

What has been debunked?

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page