Upgradeitis, thou art a cold mistress! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-16-2012, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
So, back last summer, I purchased my first AVR - a Yamaha RX-A800. At the time my decision was based largely on price (I got a fantastic deal), although I did pay some attention to features, such as pre-outs, etc.

However, I am now have buyer's remorse. I like the 800, but I feel that I didn't future-proof myself very well with features - like no phono input for my TT (I know I can purchase a phono preamp, but that's another "box" to clutter up my cabinet - I'd rather upgrade to a better "prettier" AVR)

So, I am back in the hunt for something else. My preference (for future-proofing) is a 9.2 (of which I will currently be using 7.1 - I wired in-wall for much more), and it has to be 3D capable.

My plan is to wait and watch for a good deal on something. As I am in Atlantic Canada, with only one local box store, and 1 higher end shop (selling Anthem and some Yamaha models), my local options are limited, so I'll be watching on-line. Also, ordering from some of the US sites can be problematic with delivery, Cdn credit cards, etc., but let's ignore these things for the moment.

I can probably justify something up to about $1,500 (so many of the models I'll mention would need to be on sale/clearance), but I'm kind of looking for ideas.

I've done some research on the higher end Yamaha Aventage models - 2000, 3000, 2010, 3010 - of these, I would kind of lean to maybe either the 3000 or the 2010 based on price/feature set (I would certainly go all the way to the 3010 if the price was right), but I'm not necessarily married to this brand.

Also saw today a Pio Elite SC-55 at a Canadian online dealer on sale within my budget.

Onkyo and Denon seem to be readily available online - I know nothing about their models which would be comparable to the Yammie's I've mentioned.

Again, my current goal is to "tag" certain models so that I can watch for the deal(s) over the next few months.

I love it when a [HT] plan comes together!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-16-2012, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Check your PMs.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-16-2012, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not really attempting to dissuade you - we've all had the desire to upgrade to bigger and better 'stuff'. However, keep in mind there really is no such thing as future proof. There will ALWAYS be something else coming along. Getting something you currently need - like a phono stage is a different issue.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page