Onkyo Vs. Integra internal amps - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-16-2012, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I have read in another forum that AVS had a thread discussing the differences or non-differences between Onkyo & Integra.

I am starting this thread to get some ideas.

I have read that the internal parts are the same, and I read they are different with the Onkyo 5008 & Integra 80.2

I have read they the Integra has more real world power over the Onkyo, because of a better amp.

Another thing I have been told about the 9 channel amp from both Integra and Onkyo is that they are the same amps that are in the Onkyo 5008. (PA-MC550/DTA70.1)

Another subject that is on my mind is slightly different. I had an Onkyo 805, and upgraded to an Onkyo 5008.

Reviewing these two reviews, they seem to be saying that the 805 is more powerful then the 5008

http://www.hometheater.com/content/b...s-onkyo-tx-sr8

http://www.hometheater.com/content/o...-labs-measures

I have asked a few different questions, so if you don’t mind picking one and giving your thoughts on the subject.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-16-2012, 03:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 123
I do not see any questions in your post. You do make reference to a number of statements, some of which seem questionable.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #3 of 11 Old 01-16-2012, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMP568 View Post

I have read in another forum that AVS had a thread discussing the differences or non-differences between Onkyo & Integra.

I am starting this thread to get some ideas.

I have read that the internal parts are the same, and I read they are different with the Onkyo 5008 & Integra 80.2

I have read they the Integra has more real world power over the Onkyo, because of a better amp.

Another thing I have been told about the 9 channel amp from both Integra and Onkyo is that they are the same amps that are in the Onkyo 5008. (PA-MC550/DTA70.1)

Another subject that is on my mind is slightly different. I had an Onkyo 805, and upgraded to an Onkyo 5008.

Reviewing these two reviews, they seem to be saying that the 805 is more powerful then the 5008

http://www.hometheater.com/content/b...s-onkyo-tx-sr8

http://www.hometheater.com/content/o...-labs-measures

I have asked a few different questions, so if you don’t mind picking one and giving your thoughts on the subject.

Onkyo and Integra share alot of the same electrical design & features, actually their design is done outside by a team that has done Harman/Kardon for many years..
Usually the Integra will have some additional I/O ports and S/W for installer oriented features..

Also you comparing an 805 which is an earlier unit (4 years old) which had certain component over-designs compared to a later designed unit...
Note that the earlier unit may lack some of the later features but includes a bigger power supply and heat sinking...

Just my $0.02...
post #4 of 11 Old 01-16-2012, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

Onkyo and Integra share alot of the same electrical design & features, actually their design is done outside by a team that has done Harman/Kardon for many years..
Usually the Integra will have some additional I/O ports and S/W for installer oriented features..

Also you comparing an 805 which is an earlier unit (4 years old) which had certain component over-designs compared to a later designed unit...
Note that the earlier unit may lack some of the later features but includes a bigger power supply and heat sinking...

Just my $0.02...

Do you think it's odd for an older(4 years) lower lever AVR to be more powerful then the current(1 year less) flag ship by Onkyo?

If the 805 was the flagship and had more power, then it wouldn't be a thought to me.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-16-2012, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

I do not see any questions in your post. You do make reference to a number of statements, some of which seem questionable.

Which one do you feel is just not true and just a flat out misunderstanding?
post #6 of 11 Old 01-16-2012, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:

Do you think it's odd for an older(4 years) lower lever AVR to be more powerful then the current(1 year less) flag ship by Onkyo?

If the 805 was the flagship and had more power, then it wouldn't be a thought to me.

When the 805 & 605 came out 4 years back they were part of a new Onkyo line that were priced politically low to buy market share..
I have the actual material cost of both models and Onkyo lost money on every 605 & 805 unit sold..

When comparing pricing one should keep in mind that Onkyo is a Japanese corporation so they report profits in Japanese YEN..
And over the last 3 years the YEN has appreciated about 70% compared to the weakening US $. Also Onkyo Japan just reported their last year's sales of $650 million but lost about $ 4 million. Thats one reason they have taken on Gibson Pro Audio as the distributor to control the brand in North America..

Just my $0.02..
post #7 of 11 Old 01-16-2012, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

When the 805 & 605 came out 4 years back they were part of a new Onkyo line that were priced politically low to buy market share..
I have the actual material cost of both models and Onkyo lost money on every 605 & 805 unit sold..

When comparing pricing one should keep in mind that Onkyo is a Japanese corporation so they report profits in Japanese YEN..
And over the last 3 years the YEN has appreciated about 70% compared to the weakening US $. Also Onkyo Japan just reported their last year's sales of $650 million but lost about $ 4 million. Thats one reason they have taken on Gibson Pro Audio as the distributor to control the brand in North America..

Just my $0.02..

When I first heard that the 805 was sold at a lost, it didn't make sense until now. Thank you for that information.

I love mine and I doubt if I ever give it up.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-16-2012, 07:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:

Which one do you feel is just not true and just a flat out misunderstanding?

I don't know (or care) anything about the older models but the Onkyo/Integra comparisons are inaccurate. I am not much interested in such generalizations.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #9 of 11 Old 01-17-2012, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

I don't know (or care) anything about the older models but the Onkyo/Integra comparisons are inaccurate. I am not much interested in such generalizations.

When you say they are inaccurate, do you mean they are the same or they are different?
post #10 of 11 Old 01-17-2012, 10:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 94
For the most part the same. I have had a 3009, 5009, 80.3 and lately a 5509 (all being used as a pre-pro) and truth be told the differences are very minimal to say the least. There could be a greater difference between actual Receivers of both lines but I am not willing to spend the funds to find out...

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #11 of 11 Old 01-17-2012, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 30
You can't always believe what you read, but you can believe in what your amp puts out.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page