upgrade or no? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-17-2012, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all. I currently have an onkyo sr606. Had it for a few years. Sounds good, but suffers from the notorious HDMI switch issue so I'm only using it for sound at the moment.

I would like to be able to run everything through the receiver. I currently have cable, brd player, and occasionaly a ps3 plugged into the receiver.

Currently have a 5.1 set up with infinity promise p363/351 lcr and old pioneer surrounds. I will be purchasing a rythmik f15hp in a couple weeks.

I need the receiver to do hdmi passthrough to the tv well. Not interested in 3d support. Would like the next room was I can get, and something that has the latest sound codecs. Not worried about networked.

I would like to keep the budget around 500 but I can up to about 750 if needed. I would like thx ultra 2 cert as well if possible.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-17-2012, 09:39 AM

IMO, Iv never liked Onkyo for that reason. I would recommend the Denon 1712
http://usa.denon.com/US/Product/Page...VR1712(DenonNA)
Its under $500 and is a kick ass budget receiver.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-17-2012, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked: 552
I love upgrading and I say upgrade! But I would hold off just a bit and see what is new on the market. I jumped on my receiver a little to quick. I just bought the Onkyo TX-NR609 and I love it, I just wish it had a few more options, but I found it for a great price and jumped on it. I wanted a Pioneer Elite and should have just got one! The Pioneer Elites are sweet, I would suggest looking in that direction or as lilditty said, the Denon's are nice!
post #4 of 7 Old 01-17-2012, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo-3 View Post

IMO, Iv never liked Onkyo for that reason. I would recommend the Denon 1712
http://usa.denon.com/US/Product/Page...VR1712(DenonNA)
Its under $500 and is a kick ass budget receiver.

Just don't pay retail for it. I got the 1712 for $249 and the 2112 for $399 from Newegg.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-17-2012, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I am feeling the upgradeitis ;-) with the denon and the pioneer mentioned, what would be the big draw/reasoning for making the upgrade. Aside from working hdmi of.course ;-)
post #6 of 7 Old 01-17-2012, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilditty View Post

Thanks for the info. I am feeling the upgradeitis ;-) with the denon and the pioneer mentioned, what would be the big draw/reasoning for making the upgrade. Aside from working hdmi of.course ;-)

A better Audyssey program if you go up to the 709 or above for the Onkyo's. Also a better Eq program with the Denon's. With the Pioneer's its MCACC and they do not eq the sub. There is also Marantz and Yamaha to consider. The Marantz AVR's are like the Denon's with their use of Audyssey. The Yamaha's are like the Pioneer's until you get into their highest priced AVR's in that YPAO does not Eq the sub either. The one's from them that do are the A2000 and up. You may want to see if you can find a Denon 3311/12. That would seem to be the best of both worlds for your budget. If not one of those look for the Marantz 5006/6006. Onkyo 709/809 are also choices. Just read the Onkyo threads before making that leap. Have not been following them for their new 09 series.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-17-2012, 03:00 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked: 1702
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post

Just don't pay retail for it. I got the 1712 for $249 and the 2112 for $399 from Newegg.

Agreed, however, as has been mentioned in the Denon threads, Newegg is NOT an authorized Denon reseller (ie no valid warranty), so best to get an authorized reseller to match Newegg's price to ensure the Denon warranty remains valid.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page