$3000 system for vinyl? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 01-17-2012, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, I am a new member and have a question to put out.

I have a $3000 budget to put together a system for vinyl (amp, turntable and speakers). I do have a relative that can get me Polk, Jbl, and Marantz at dealer prices so it would be nice if those are options. I know Marantz has great components ,but not sure of the quality of Jbl and Polk speakers these days. I live in a condo so I will not be blasting music soon but want to be able to in the future when I have a house.

Question: What are your opinions on how much to spend on each part of the system?

I would like floor standing speakers.

Marantz has the Pm 8004 integrated amp with a phono stage- 100watts at 4 oms. $999 without discount. Would that be enough power for good speakers?

or Marantz MM7025 power amp coupled with Pm 5004 as a pre amp for more power?

Polk Lsi or Jbl Studio speakers seem to be the better options for these companies.

Project debut 3 or Project Expression turntables...thoughts. I understand the cartridge is only decent for the Expression.

I listen to every kind of music so no preference there.

Hope this is enough info and appreciate any help you guys can give me.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-17-2012, 03:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I love it. We don't get much serious 2 channel in these sections anymore.

I'd put the vast majority of your cash into the speakers. The Marantz with the built in phono pre-amp sounds interesting. I have not seen anybody using it on here though for impressions. A pre-amp does not add power to the speakers.

Speakers are really tough, because they are so subjective to each listener.

Have some patience with this thread and it may blossom.
post #3 of 19 Old 01-17-2012, 03:58 PM

How significant is the discount on the Marantz equipment? They offer a turntable which is a rebranded Clearaudio Emotion. They also have a couple of entry level decks, but I don't know anything about them other than they exist.
post #4 of 19 Old 01-17-2012, 04:47 PM

My home audio system is built around my turntable and speakers moreso than my cd player, so I think I understand what you're trying to do. I found a set of speakers that I love (in this case, Meadowlark Kestral II's) and built my system around them. Having demo'd them I found that tubes really made them sing, so that's the route I went for amplification. My turntable cartridge - same thing. I went for a cartridge that would integrate into the system based on the arm and table (in this case, a Denon MC). For your budget, you have a lot of options. Don't rule out a nice piece of used gear that you couldn't otherwise afford.

Have you heard any speakers that you're partial to?

Keep in mind that with the turntable, you're not stuck with the stock cartridge; you could always negotiate an upgrade for an upcharge that nicely discounts retail.
post #5 of 19 Old 01-17-2012, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

I have not listened to any speakers as of yet, since I have the discount available on the Polk or Jbl, I thought I would direct my attention that way first so as I could get more for my money...but only if they are quality speakers. I would rather spend the money on a good speaker without the discount than get a discounted speaker that isn't any good. Problem is that I don't have a store here that carries the Jbl or upper level Polks.
I have one Hifi store and a Best Buy here

And on the Marantz 2 channel amp coupled with the preamp ---the preamp is actually an integrated amp that would be used as a preamp. Marantz does not seem to offer a dedicated preamp to match that 2 channel amp...

Also, this is going to be for music only...not an AV system.

Thanks guys!!
Thomas
post #6 of 19 Old 01-18-2012, 07:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I love JBL speakers. Their upper lines are just lovely these days.

You can't go wrong with....

Studio 190 / 180's, ES80 / 90, L880 / L890

These are seriously nice speakers for 2 channel. A loooong time ago I purchased eight JBL S38's? I have been using them ever since. In that time many an amp / avr has come and gone, but I still love the speakers.
post #7 of 19 Old 01-18-2012, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Nightvet, my discount seems to be around 35% across the board and now I have learned that Martin Logans are available as well. The Electromotions ESLs look pretty nice and I think I can demo them at Best Buy.

Would the Project 3 be a goo match here? My friend has one and likes it and I like the sleek look as well, my equipment will be sitting on top of a nice cabinet/console.

Thomas
post #8 of 19 Old 01-18-2012, 06:05 PM

The Pro-ject tables are quite capable. Don't think that discount would bring the Marantz price low enough to warrant it instead.
post #9 of 19 Old 01-18-2012, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 80
You may want to check out the gear available from the place below. Lot of quality electronics from the list you are making.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/default.asp
post #10 of 19 Old 01-18-2012, 06:46 PM

Check out the new Rega Brio-r ($900), Rega RP1 turntable ($500) and a pair of Totem Acoustic Arro speakers. That Trio should come in at about $3k.
post #11 of 19 Old 01-21-2012, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

So I just got back from my local hifi store. I listened to a Rotel RC1550 stereo preamp and RB1562 Amplifier through Revel Concerta F12s. It sounded pretty sweet.
The salesman quoted me $1250 for the amp package and $900 for the pair of speakers. Totaling $2150.

I tried the Revels as well as 2 Klipsch models that were priced a little higher...the Revels seemed better to me.

I listened to the Martin Logan Electromotion ESL at Best Buy and even though I can get the pair discounted to $720 each, I felt like the Revels sounded better.

If I go with a Project or Rega turntable this would fit my $3000 budget. I know someone said to spend the $ on speakers mainly, but the Rotel at $1250 seems to be a good deal to me and the Revels seem to get good reviews and are considered a great speaker for the price.

This is the only hifi store in town so I don't have any other listening options here really.

Any thoughts or opinions out there?

Thanks again guys
post #12 of 19 Old 01-22-2012, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Below is a couple of reviews of those speakers. I would get those and be very happy. Tough to beat for the price.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...rs-8-2005.html

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/706revel/

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/r...ncerta_f12.htm
post #13 of 19 Old 01-22-2012, 08:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I think I would call that as good as anything you are going to find in your price ranges here.

I'm jealous, I listen to music on HT systems these days. Nice HT systems but nothing like a dedictaed 2 channel setup. Happy for you for sure
post #14 of 19 Old 01-22-2012, 09:30 AM

I suspect that the best buy set up for the martin logan electromotion ESL are not properly set up! These speakers can offer astounding detail.

I have had these speakers for almost a year now and for 2 channel listening they are awesome in a small space. They do need 75 hours at least for break in. My set up is the ESL as fronts, Kef 3001 for surrounds and the RX-A2000 for the receiver. 90% of use is for 2 channel. Dispersion, detail and speed of these speakers are very revealing.

http://www.avguide.com/review/martin...system-tpv-109

Here is a review of the ESL's and the reviewer was impressed.
post #15 of 19 Old 01-22-2012, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTre View Post

I suspect that the best buy set up for the martin logan electromotion ESL are not properly set up! These speakers can offer astounding detail.

I have had these speakers for almost a year now and for 2 channel listening they are awesome in a small space. They do need 75 hours at least for break in. My set up is the ESL as fronts, Kef 3001 for surrounds and the RX-A2000 for the receiver. 90% of use is for 2 channel. Dispersion, detail and speed of these speakers are very revealing.

http://www.avguide.com/review/martin...system-tpv-109

Here is a review of the ESL's and the reviewer was impressed.

that was probably the case...the girl actually suggested they sound better if you "prop" them up-leaning them back. I am a newbie here but that is obviously ridiculous!
post #16 of 19 Old 01-22-2012, 11:40 AM

You have the makings of a great rig. See if the store will let you demo the speakers in your own home if you're still undecided. That's how you'll make up your mind. Both of the turntables you mentioned are solid tables. Again, a home audition would be useful unless you're planning to buy online. That's how I've bought my equipment, by home demos.
post #17 of 19 Old 01-22-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash407 View Post

that was probably the case...the girl actually suggested they sound better if you "prop" them up-leaning them back. I am a newbie here but that is obviously ridiculous!

The feet on the ML ESL`s allow you to position the speakers either up or down depending on the outlay of the room. You do not need to `prop` them up - you need to set them up by adjusting the hight of the back and front spikes. BB needs better sales reps and someone who really knows how to set up different speakers.
post #18 of 19 Old 01-22-2012, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER View Post

I think I would call that as good as anything you are going to find in your price ranges here.

I'm jealous, I listen to music on HT systems these days. Nice HT systems but nothing like a dedictaed 2 channel setup. Happy for you for sure

Have to agree with you researching carefully for a 2 ch system. You will likely not go wrong with the Rega integrated and TT. Speakers are very personal and can make/break your rig. Trust your ears.

Reject Passivity, Accept Responsibility,
Lead Courageously, Live for the Greater Reward

Rick
post #19 of 19 Old 01-24-2012, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I chose the Rotel RC1550 preamp and Rb 1562 power amp. The Revel Concerta F12 speakers and the Project Debut III. I think I did pretty well, maybe could have done better but I don't think bad with my resources and for being a newbie.

Now I need cables and a power source. Opinions?

Have heard the Panamax M4300 pm is good, is that too much for my system or should I go with a strip? Either way it will be a Panamax. Salesman said I should plug power amp directly to the wall instead of strip, you guys agree?

Cable options? Interconnect? Stock speaker wire from store seems pretty good, 16 gauge I believe.

Thanks
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page