best 7.1 receiver under $1000? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 01-18-2012, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm currently looking to purchase a new 7.1 receiver. Just not sure which one to get. I have two Infinity Primus P363 Floor-standing speaker and my center channel is Infinity PC350.

Any suggestions on what receiver would workout best for me?? The guy at best buy recommended Pioneer Elite- Elite 770W 7.1-Channel
Model: VSX-52
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 01-18-2012, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoexxl View Post

I'm currently looking to purchase a new 7.1 receiver. Just not sure which one to get. I have two Infinity Primus P363 Floor-standing speaker and my center channel is Infinity PC350.

Any suggestions on what receiver would workout best for me?? The guy at best buy recommended Pioneer Elite- Elite 770W 7.1-Channel

Hi,

I don't have experience with the Pioneer however my coworker just got one and he is 100% happy with it. I recently got an Onkyo TX-NR809 and I love as well. The Onkyo was much less than $1k though (got it at Amazon.com). My coworker and I have been trading tips on configuration settings and both the Pioneer and Onkyo seem to have a lot in common (except for Audyssey versus MCACC). Anyway, not sure how much I helped but I don't think you can go wrong with either receiver.

e
post #3 of 31 Old 01-18-2012, 06:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Anthem MRX 300, if you're looking for good quality with room correction, not many fancy bells and whistles though.
post #4 of 31 Old 01-18-2012, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

Any help is always good. I just get nervous before spending that much money. I'm still up in the air about what I want to do.
post #5 of 31 Old 01-18-2012, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Denon AVR-891....That's the one.

(or the AVR-2312, depending on networking options desired)

Quote:

post #6 of 31 Old 01-18-2012, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Why Denon??

When I when to best buy it was the denon-AVR1912 I was interested in. But after talking with sells guy. He said my infinity speakers require a lot of Watts. So he suggested the pioneer or the onkyo. After hearing the pioneer VSX-52. I thought the pioneer sounded way better than the denon in my opinion.
post #7 of 31 Old 01-18-2012, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Buyer beware! There might be 10 or 20 watts per channel difference advertised between the two. Which is pretty much inconsiquential. Also, who knows how they were set up at the store? Go for the features YOU want. Either one will more than likely make you happy. Those Infinities don't need a lot of watts. They are fairly efficient. A 20 watt tube amp would drive them nicely! That salesman was just trying to push something!

Sounds good!
post #8 of 31 Old 01-18-2012, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

A Denon 2312 or Pioneer VSX-53 or Yamaha A810 would be my choices for your budget.

Sounds good!
post #9 of 31 Old 01-18-2012, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks man.. but let me ask you this. In your opinion which one would you buy out of the 3 you named??
post #10 of 31 Old 01-18-2012, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

Thanks man.. but let me ask you this. In your opinion which one would you buy out of the 3 you named??

Each one has its own strength and weakness. The Yamaha 810 and Pioneer 53 don’t use Audyssey and won’t eq a subwoofer. The Denon 2312 has MultEQ XT which I preferred to MCACC but have never used YPAO. The Denon doesn’t have preamp outputs so that would be a drawback if you ever plan to add an amplifier. The Yamaha doesn’t have airplay and the Pioneer and Denon both do but Pioneers implementation is a better than Denon’s if using more than one zone. I would also look at the Oknyo 809 as it has MultEQ XT and preamp outputs. That or the 3312 would be my pick but everyone has different needs so there is no one size fits all receiver.
post #11 of 31 Old 01-18-2012, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpearce023 View Post

Each one has its own strength and weakness. The Yamaha 810 and Pioneer 53 don't use Audyssey and won't eq a subwoofer. The Denon 2312 has MultEQ XT which I preferred to MCACC but have never used YPAO. The Denon doesn't have preamp outputs so that would be a drawback if you ever plan to add an amplifier. The Yamaha doesn't have airplay and the Pioneer and Denon both do but Pioneers implementation is a better than Denon's if using more than one zone. I would also look at the Oknyo 809 as it has MultEQ XT and preamp outputs. That or the 3312 would be my pick but everyone has different needs so there is no one size fits all receiver.

I know this is a noob question. But what exactly is MultEQ XT? MCACC? YPAO?

Also what does added an amplifier to the receiver actually do to it?
post #12 of 31 Old 01-18-2012, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I know this is a noob question. But what exactly is MultEQ XT? MCACC? YPAO?

Also what does added an amplifier to the receiver actually do to it?

These are different room correction software that come on receivers. They come with a mic and will play different test tones and setup your receiver from there. Check out Audyssey's webpage for more information. I found a big improvement using Audyssey with my system. Yamaha and Pioneer have their own versions that they use on their receivers.
Adding an amplifier bypasses the receiver's amp and provides power for your speakers. You receiver may have enough power for your speakers so an amp would not make a difference but some speakers are more difficult to drive and sound better at loud levels using an amp. Your speakers right now are easy to drive so I doubt you would need an amp in your situation but its nice to have preamp outputs incase you upgrade speakers and decide your receiver is just not powerful enough for them.
post #13 of 31 Old 01-18-2012, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, thanks for your time and help. I really appreciate it.
post #14 of 31 Old 01-18-2012, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm kind of a fan of all three I mentioned. I have owned or still own all three brands. If there was a 3 sided coin, it would be a toss up! Put the names on a dart board and throw a dart. You will be happy with either one.

Sounds good!
post #15 of 31 Old 01-18-2012, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

To answer your question more specificly, probably the Denon.

Sounds good!
post #16 of 31 Old 01-18-2012, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Why the denon in your own personal opinion?
post #17 of 31 Old 01-18-2012, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Denon, Onkyo, Marantz are all good as most people belive Audessey MultiXT is superior to others. Just need to make sure buying a model with MULTIXT and with the features you want. Yamaha is also good but unless you move up to model 2xxx and above, it does not eq your sub which i think critical. I have the Denon 2312 and cannot be happier as my speakers sound better than what I had and I had separate Lexicon MC1 pre plus 7x200W amp that I paid over $5k for them. All because of Audessey does for me, i believe.
post #18 of 31 Old 01-18-2012, 12:04 PM

What about a 3312ci? you can find it at the upper end of your range.
post #19 of 31 Old 01-18-2012, 02:18 PM

I was able to pick up a Pioneer VSX-1326 (Future shop version of a VSX-53) for well within your price range, and it is an excellent receiver.
post #20 of 31 Old 01-18-2012, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I think it is funny how people get all bent out of shape about room correction! These are, more or less, crutches. I would by no means buy a AVR just because it has the latest and greatest room correction software.
I would pick the Denon over the others because they tend to spec out better in bench tests. THD+N. Just cleaner power. However, when you start getting into the $1,000+ market, things such as this seem to become less of a issue for either company. A $2,000 AVR from any company would be fine with me.

Sounds good!
post #21 of 31 Old 01-18-2012, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Wouldn't most $1,000 AVRs have sufficient power for the majority of people? I tend to the think the biggest sonic differences between them WOULD be the room correction software.

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, except not while driving a school bus.
post #22 of 31 Old 01-18-2012, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Denon 4311 if you can wait for the next big price drop, newegg
post #23 of 31 Old 01-18-2012, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 83
The Anthem 300 woud be my first choice so long as it has the features you really need.
post #24 of 31 Old 01-18-2012, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmsys View Post

Hi,

I don't have experience with the Pioneer however my coworker just got one and he is 100% happy with it. I recently got an Onkyo TX-NR809 and I love as well. The Onkyo was much less than $1k though (got it at Amazon.com). My coworker and I have been trading tips on configuration settings and both the Pioneer and Onkyo seem to have a lot in common (except for Audyssey versus MCACC). Anyway, not sure how much I helped but I don't think you can go wrong with either receiver.

e

Our son also owns the ONKYO TX-NR809 and loves it. Exceptional sound and a tremendous amount of features 1.4 HDMI, super audio and video processor (2k and 4k for video!):

http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=...s=Receiver&p=i

You can purchase it for a lot less than retail online (check New Egg and Amazon) Best "Bang for the Buck" out there. As for Pioneer... I wouldn't go that route if I were you.

FYI I am also very happy with ONKYO. I have owned the ONKYO PR-SC5507p pre-pro for several years and recently upgraded to the ONKYO PR-SC5508p pre-pro coupled with PARASOUND Halo A51 and A23 power amps... our system has never sounded better.
post #25 of 31 Old 01-18-2012, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

Wouldn't most $1,000 AVRs have sufficient power for the majority of people? I tend to the think the biggest sonic differences between them WOULD be the room correction software.

I think most $400 AVRs have enough power for most people!

Sounds good!
post #26 of 31 Old 01-18-2012, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

What's wrong with Pioneer? My second oldest reciever is a 2 channel that is 21 years old! Everything works and sounds great! I have seen some issues pop up on the realy cheap ones (VSX-521). Other than that, I wouldn't worry.

Sounds good!
post #27 of 31 Old 01-18-2012, 09:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Onkyo baby!

Build your own Concession Stand Counter for cheap! Search -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #28 of 31 Old 01-19-2012, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, so I when back to best buy last night and listed to 2 receiver's Pioneer-VSX-52, Denon- AVR3312CI and a few others but these are my top two.

Listing to both receiver's at equal volumes. I definitely think the denon was way cleaner and had a really impressive sound to it. On the downside the explosion scenes were really weak I thought. Now the Pioneer was loud as hell. Definitely not as clean sounding as the denon. It almost seems too aggressive. I hope that makes sense. But the explosion scene sounded great on the pioneer.

Does anyone else feel that the denon is lacking in the action area??
post #29 of 31 Old 01-19-2012, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Okay, so I when back to best buy last night and listed to 2 receiver's Pioneer-VSX-52, Denon- AVR3312CI and a few others but these are my top two.

Listing to both receiver's at equal volumes. I definitely think the denon was way cleaner and had a really impressive sound to it. On the downside the explosion scenes were really weak I thought. Now the Pioneer was loud as hell. Definitely not as clean sounding as the denon. It almost seems too aggressive. I hope that makes sense. But the explosion scene sounded great on the pioneer.

It looks like the denon LFE output bug is back, maybe ??
post #30 of 31 Old 01-19-2012, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You can't just put them at the same volume. You would need to use an spl meter to make sure they are level matched. The Pioneer was louder which caused the action scenes to sound louder. There are some settings in Audyssey that could cause this as well but Best Buy and places like that usually don't run the auto setup programs. It's really difficult to compare receivers in a store.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page