Spent all this $$$ but still feel like my setup is lacking.... - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 106 Old 01-23-2012, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I'm sure this may be regarded as heresy, but you could try this (this is how I have mine set up now, and it rocks on music, with a VSX-1121)

Forget MCACC. I ran it and it made my system sound weak - thin and antiseptic. Go into the manual advanced settings, and set all the speakers eq curves to the classic "U" shape, with the mids maybe a hair below center, and the lows and highs up - and up the "trim" - overall level of that speaker, the setting to the right of the highest high band. Set all the speakers to "small", Sub "yes".

Select "Ext. stereo" as the sound mode - it plays stereo using all the speakers.

Turn it up.

Should sound good. Probably not "pure" or "as the artist meant it to sound", but I like it.

YMMV of course!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 106 Old 01-23-2012, 09:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
^^^

nothing wrong with "preference", but it's not a good starting location...

and... once again.... as much as i am a eq whore, it can't work miracles...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #93 of 106 Old 01-23-2012, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I read through this thread rather briefly and agree your room layout for sound is bad.
What I did not see unless I read over it was what are your room dimensions and what
db are you trying for at you're listening position?
Also what part of the sound are you unhappy with the dynamics, bass, instruments or vocals ?
post #94 of 106 Old 01-23-2012, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 226
I was in a similar situation with my wife. She hates all speakers. To be more general, she hates everything I buy.

Here's my suggestion...
1) Get rid of your fronts and buy some wall mountable speakers for the fronts. Place them next to the screen in the middle height wise.
2) Get a center that can be mounted to the ceiling. It will be in front of the top of the picture. I don't think it will block the view since you look up at the tv. Angle it down so it points at your head when you watch the TV. This will be tricky since you need to run speaker wire to it and my guess is it won't be pretty. Or wait and get a table or entertainment center to place the center on.

I have a question...
What are those round glassy looking things on the table next to your right front speaker?
post #95 of 106 Old 01-23-2012, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

I was in a similar situation with my wife. She hates all speakers. To be more general, she hates everything I buy.

Here's my suggestion...
1) Get rid of your fronts and buy some wall mountable speakers for the fronts. Place them next to the screen in the middle height wise.
2) Get a center that can be mounted to the ceiling. It will be in front of the top of the picture. I don't think it will block the view since you look up at the tv. Angle it down so it points at your head when you watch the TV. This will be tricky since you need to run speaker wire to it and my guess is it won't be pretty. Or wait and get a table or entertainment center to place the center on.

I have a question...
What are those round glassy looking things on the table next to your right front speaker?

selenite candle holders
post #96 of 106 Old 01-23-2012, 11:03 AM

Liked: 18
First off I love that screen..looks nice. Second your speaker setup blows. Does the center channel just sit on the floor like that all the time?

Quote:

2) Get a center that can be mounted to the ceiling. It will be in front of the top of the picture. I don't think it will block the view since you look up at the tv. Angle it down so it points at you

Im thinking those would be your best options right now since moving/rearranging the furniture is outta the question.

"Man, I told you we shouldn't have shot Niedermeyer"

post #97 of 106 Old 01-23-2012, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfett View Post

First off I love that screen..looks nice. Second your speaker setup blows. Does the center channel just sit on the floor like that all the time?

Im thinking those would be your best options right now since moving/rearranging the furniture is outta the question.

Living with less than perfect sound until I ditch the couch definitely beats replacing my speakers altogether, at least for me.

Yes, it just sits on the floor. I could put it on the couch since nobody sits there...
post #98 of 106 Old 01-23-2012, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkgraham33 View Post

selenite candle holders

I was hoping you were going to say, sound optimization doughnuts or moulds for something car related.

You have to give up awesome sound on a 103" display that's maybe 10' in front of you so you can display candle holders. I tip my hat to you. There are many a man on this forum who would file for divorce over less than this.
post #99 of 106 Old 01-23-2012, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

I was hoping you were going to say, sound optimization doughnuts or moulds for something car related.

You have to give up awesome sound on a 103" display that's maybe 10' in front of you so you can display candle holders. I tip my hat to you. There are many a man on this forum who would file for divorce over less than this.

For the record, it's 134 inches. =)

It's funny, at first my girlfriend HATED it and demanded I take it down. But after a few weeks and ever since, she doesn't like watching TV anywhere but downstairs on the projector.
post #100 of 106 Old 01-23-2012, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

lol... since i put that poster on ignore, i dunno if he's given up on that "advice" or not...
(

Youre missing some funny stuff. He said he has RCA cables older than me because I said there is no way he could have 45 years expericnce in audio. Its a chuckle a minute.

It looks like the OP needs smaller couches or smaller speakers. The only way the girlfriend would be happy and couch could stay would be to do inwalls for the front 3 and an AT screen. I've never been a big fan of inwalls but in this case I think they would be a good option.
post #101 of 106 Old 01-23-2012, 11:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

lol... i'm content to let you absorb his "wisdom"...

yea, in-walls would be better, no doubt...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #102 of 106 Old 01-23-2012, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

lol... i'm content to let you absorb his "wisdom"...

yea, in-walls would be better, no doubt...

Maybe later this year or early next year I'll migrate this set of speakers to my computer room and buy in-walls for the downstairs...
post #103 of 106 Old 01-23-2012, 12:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

yea, that might work out for you... there are some very good in-wall speakers available these days...

anything that gets the mains out of the corners where they are is going to be a good start towards improving things...

- chris

post #104 of 106 Old 01-23-2012, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkgraham33 View Post

For the record, it's 134 inches. =)

It's funny, at first my girlfriend HATED it and demanded I take it down. But after a few weeks and ever since, she doesn't like watching TV anywhere but downstairs on the projector.

Well if your gf would allow you to properly place the speakers she would fall in love with them just like the screen
post #105 of 106 Old 01-23-2012, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

Well if your gf would allow you to properly place the speakers she would fall in love with them just like the screen

If only. Unfortunately one of her favorite lines is, "it's so loud, turn it down!"

Woe is me...
post #106 of 106 Old 01-23-2012, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I know you are helpless now with regard to speaker placement. But when the day comes, use this diagram as a reference. You may have already seen it elsewhere.
LL

Manendra

"Some folks hate the whites who hate the blacks
who hate the Klan
Most of us hate anything that
we don't understand"

- Kris Kristofferson.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page