Crutchfield vs. Bestbuy v. financing - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 36 Old 01-19-2012, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Which merchant do you feel most comfortable with? No interest financing is a must. I'm finding that Bestbuy is extremely limited in availability of the products I want, while Crutchfield has everything in stock. But, it's nice being able to walk into your local BB and look around, rather than shopping online.

I'm leaning towards Crutchfield, but wanted others opinions on past buying experience.

I listen to everything, I just don't say anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 01-19-2012, 04:01 PM

I have purchased from crutchfield and had a very good experience. Lifetime tech support is nice and 30 day no question return. Free shipping. My .02
post #3 of 36 Old 01-19-2012, 04:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Crutchfield used to sell everything at near MSRP. So I gave up on them years ago. Have they improved?

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #4 of 36 Old 01-19-2012, 04:09 PM

From what I have seen every couple of weeks they will put different items on sale. Depends what you are looking for. I think end of model year deals are the best. I also like the better brands that crutchfield sells. I don't have a BB magnolia near me.
post #5 of 36 Old 01-19-2012, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Crutchfield is a great place to do business..
Excellent tech support..
They are now more price-competitive but if one is pushing for the absolute lowest cost, keep looking..

Just my $0.02..
post #6 of 36 Old 01-19-2012, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

I just bit the bullet and purchased from Crutchfield:
Panasonic tc-p55vt30
Denon avr-1912
Energy Take Classic 5.1

I received a call from CF immediately after the order letting me know when to expect my shipment. Awesome. Bestbuy can suckit.

post #7 of 36 Old 01-19-2012, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Amazon...best of both worlds if you can find what you want.
post #8 of 36 Old 01-19-2012, 10:19 PM

FWIW, Both Crutchfield and BB are good choices. For products like car audio where you might been assistance, Crutchfield would be my choice. The service is great. BB can be more competitive in pricing matching.

I just picked up with Klipsch speakers and Crutchfield didn't carry the ones I wanted (RF7 II).
post #9 of 36 Old 01-19-2012, 10:31 PM

BB's days are numbered. They are just a showroom for online purchases. I go there check out the equipment and then buy online. They cannot compete on price because they charge sales tax online stores do not. Crutchfield on the other hand is way overpriced.... Today I purchased the 2112ci brand new from ElectronicsExpo for $449 shipped. I noticed that someone bought the 1912 from crutchfield it's priced at $549. EE quoted me $388 for the 1912.

The trick to EEis to call and and ask "Whats the best price you can do for me on the 1912" they will only give you the price on the phone. They have to advertise denon's MSRP online. Try it out.

That being said I just ordered today and I haven't received my 2112ci yet...but it's brand new with 3 year warranty.
post #10 of 36 Old 01-20-2012, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter

I'm a price shopper, too, but on big ticket purchases, I love no interest financing. Crutchfield may be MSRP, but they offer a 10% discount on audio when you also purchase a TV, plus you get phone support if you need help with setup, which I probably will.

post #11 of 36 Old 01-20-2012, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by motodigital View Post

I'm a price shopper, too, but on big ticket purchases, I love no interest financing. Crutchfield may be MSRP, but they offer a 10% discount on audio when you also purchase a TV, plus you get phone support if you need help with setup, which I probably will.

Have you ever used billmelater? A lot of times with these online dealers you can get no interest financing (6 months payoff) + discounts. Crutchfield is one of the options. Works great for me. Also accepted on EBay with any purchase. There are many online vendors that now use this type of payment.
post #12 of 36 Old 01-20-2012, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Crutchfiled has good service and they seem to have their act together. The primary advantage Best Buy has is easy returns. Since Circuit City is no longer around, Best Buy probably won't go under. Many people are too scared to buy a 50" tv online.

I've bought a few things from Crutchfield that were on sale. I would never pay MSRP.
post #13 of 36 Old 01-20-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakerPwnd View Post

BB's days are numbered. They are just a showroom for online purchases. I go there check out the equipment and then buy online.

As an employee of best buy that hurts. Why would you do that? The sales person you deal with while not on commission is expected to sell. Buy taking up their time you are, in a way, keeping them from helping someone else who does want to buy there. I'm sorry it's just that practice seems wrong. If you're not going to entertain the notion of buying from the store why would you even go there?

Picture without sound is surveillance.
post #14 of 36 Old 01-20-2012, 06:03 PM

I have purchased from crutchfield and was very happy. I bought a computer from BB and boy do they screw you. But what about your local family owned stores. That is where I have bought my projector and in walls. Great support after sale. And who else will call to make sure you are happy?
post #15 of 36 Old 01-20-2012, 06:18 PM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-heat View Post

As an employee of best buy that hurts. Why would you do that? The sales person you deal with while not on commission is expected to sell. Buy taking up their time you are, in a way, keeping them from helping someone else who does want to buy there. I'm sorry it's just that practice seems wrong. If you're not going to entertain the notion of buying from the store why would you even go there?

People go there to price comparison and try stuff out, before buying online. Believe it or not, more buy online than your bosses at BB lead you to believe. I have not bought anything from BB in over eight years. I go elsewhere to get my stuff, or buy online.

BB is worst than Used Car salespeople and Insurance agents.
post #16 of 36 Old 01-20-2012, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

The last few times I went to BB the salespeople I talked to weren't just ignorant, they were dangerously so. It's ok if they don't know anything and have to look it up. It's not ok if they're flat out lying to their customers. The last time I went (at a Magnolia, no less), the salesperson told this elderly couple that the most bare bones receiver they had that could do two zones was $500. The potential customer spent about 15 seconds looking at the little placards and found another that did zone 2 for $300. The salesperson completely ignored that fact and continued to tout the features of the $500 receiver.

After the couple left, he told me that Denons are good for movies, and Yamahas are good for music, but if I want the best of both I needed to get a Pioneer. (I may have mixed those up. Hard to keep the BS straight.) I asked the salesperson about room equalization on a Pioneer model. He thought for a minute and said that he was pretty sure it had Marvell. At that point I held my tongue and walked out.

Don't take this the wrong way. I'll concede that perhaps my salespeople aren't representative of BB in general. Maybe I just attract the idiots. The frustrating thing is that they have a great job! They get to educate people about stereo equipment and demo it for them! If they're not at all interested in what they're doing, why do they do it?? Whatever happened to the salespeople that were hobbyists at heart?
post #17 of 36 Old 01-20-2012, 06:48 PM

No JPark, people at BB that work for them, remind me of Jeff Spicoli from Fast Times, and Keanu Reeves from Bill & Ted. We went to ours looking at stoves, and the salesperson we did talk to, had no clue what features the stove had, let alone acted like they even cared to be there, once we started to ask them to compare a couple different stoves.

Walked back to the a/v department same night to look at sound bars and amps, and both people back there were doing something on the computer, due to it was obvious that one of them appeared to have never touched a computer ever in their life, but hey they had that cool BB name tag on. Not once in the 10 minutes we stood there looking at Sound bars, did one of them even take the time to acknowledge that we were there, let alone had some local yocal country station set, for people to demo sound bars.

That is a couple of reasons why I refuse to do business with them, let alone the idiots that work in the computer department. My wife has to kick me in the shins if I go to open my mouth to correct the errors they give out when trying to upsale people, or tell people that want to buy a mac that they need A/v, or Geeksquad to tweek the mac.
post #18 of 36 Old 01-20-2012, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

Crutchfiled has good service and they seem to have their act together. The primary advantage Best Buy has is easy returns. Since Circuit City is no longer around, Best Buy probably won't go under. Many people are too scared to buy a 50" tv online.

I've bought a few things from Crutchfield that were on sale. I would never pay MSRP.

Apparently you missed this article..

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larrydow...ess-gradually/

Just my $0.02..
post #19 of 36 Old 01-20-2012, 07:21 PM

post #20 of 36 Old 01-20-2012, 08:24 PM

@gregzoll & JPark,

I'm very sorry you've had to deal with such ignorance. I know in all my years in retail I've found no matter the good/services you're hawking it comes down to three things.

1) do you know your stuff
2) are you relatable
3) are you honest

I know when I was a home theater supervisor, and even before that when I was a magnolia senior, or further back selling tube TVs and stereos; I took those things very seriously. Now as a geek squad consultant/ISF tech I still take my job seriously. Now I've been doing this for a very long time but an 18/19 kid just doesn't have that much experience.

I'm also humble enough to admit that I don't know everything and didn't always know what I know. I've learned things from all sorts of people and yes even been schooled buy customers before. And guess what I'm better for it now. I'm not saying to go over and interrupt, but if you find yourself speaking with a salesman who doesn't know or has a general misunderstanding of how something works you could help him understand. If we all as a HiFi/IT/Tech/AV community did this with the kids working at retail stores then maybe we could get some better service.

post #21 of 36 Old 01-20-2012, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:

He never said he talked to anyone there. Whether or not he buys at the store or online doesn't make much difference. the store gets the money on way or the other.
Me? I never buy from any of the big box retailers because they are always overpriced to what I can find online elsewhere.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #22 of 36 Old 01-20-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:

@gregzoll & JPark,

I'm very sorry you've had to deal with such ignorance. I know in all my years in retail I've found no matter the good/services you're hawking it comes down to three things.

1) do you know your stuff
2) are you relatable
3) are you honest

I know when I was a home theater supervisor, and even before that when I was a magnolia senior, or further back selling tube TVs and stereos; I took those things very seriously. Now as a geek squad consultant/ISF tech I still take my job seriously. Now I've been doing this for a very long time but an 18/19 kid just doesn't have that much experience.

I'm also humble enough to admit that I don't know everything and didn't always know what I know. I've learned things from all sorts of people and yes even been schooled buy customers before. And guess what I'm better for it now. I'm not saying to go over and interrupt, but if you find yourself speaking with a salesman who doesn't know or has a general misunderstanding of how something works you could help him understand. If we all as a HiFi/IT/Tech/AV community did this with the kids working at retail stores then maybe we could get some better service.

Thanks for the laugh. Sorry, but anyone with experience that still works at Best Buy does not say a lot. Most people one average last five years in retail, and with Best Buy, they are lucky to last two to three, due to those with experience are dismissed, since that is not how BB operates.
post #23 of 36 Old 01-21-2012, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 54
One thing I fell strongly about is that no one place has the best prices on everything.

Sure, Newegg has had some screamer prices on some Pioneer receivers, but Costco has had some great everyday low prices on Pioneer and Pioneer Elite receivers too. Electronics Expo has a great call in price on the Denon 2112 but Newegg had a better sale on that, plus since you could order it online you could use a cash back site and save even more.

For speakers Crutchfield has the best deals on Primus, Newegg on Polk Monitor, Best Buy on Pioneer, Paul's TV on Def Tech and Vann's on maybe Jamo and Energy.

That being said, I also think there are times when price is not the only consideration. Recently I upgraded the in-dash unit in my car. I saved about 35% buying from Crutchfield over BB, but that is only part of the story. Crutchfield has useful installation instructions and they have great technical support, which I took advantage of to help me with one minor question involving the wiring harness.

However, as much as I like Crutchfield, I will almost certainly not be buying a sub from them when I upgrade because ID subs really seem to be the best value. I may buy a new receiver from them when the time comes, we will have to see what they are offering.

I will agree I have a hard time justifying going to Best Buy. I am just not impressed with the knowledge of the staff there. BB can continue to exist, but they really need to offer far better technical advice.

One final thing about Crutchfield's pricing: in addition to buying stuff they have on sale, they have all sorts of coupons available. It is really very easy to find a new customer referral code to save $20 plus there are about three other coupon codes other there to save you $20 to $25.

Plus they participate in a variety of cash back sites.
post #24 of 36 Old 01-21-2012, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

Crutchfield used to sell everything at near MSRP. So I gave up on them years ago. Have they improved?

Yes, they have.

Not on all items, but they have some very competitive prices on many things.

Such as the Primus series of speakers, various car audio equipment, certain receivers on sale, etc.
post #25 of 36 Old 01-21-2012, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Because most if not all BB employees don't have A/V knowledge and sell to people that don't know any better. 1st example, when DVD first came out I over heard an employee tell a customer the DVD WAS HD! I corrected her and she argued with me... Recently a friend was looking at buying a shelf for his EQ (he was buying a $1800. tv as well) the BB employee said about home theater receivers that I haven't seen a receiver that weighs as much as 12lbs so this shelf unit will be excellent!!! I quickly commented that that's wrong and my receiver at the time an Integra DTR8.2 weighed in at 38lbs. His "bottom lip was flapping and not saying anything". 3rd when I had a problem with my Panny Blu Ray player that I just bought from them the first question out of their mouths was "do you have Monster Cable"?! When I said no I'm running Monoprice they said "that's your problem then, you need a Monster cable". I'm not bashing BB here, I'm just telling my experiences. They do know some of their stuff, but most do not. I will buy certain things in BB, just not audio eq.

Jeff
post #26 of 36 Old 01-21-2012, 09:13 AM

I agree as a whole there is a need for better training. I've run into the same issues before dealing with clients who were over/under sold product or those who were told that something will work in a way it's not designed to. But I've seen the same from auto shops and copy companies.

I know I try to get all the sales staff to understand how all this great tech we offer works together. It's hard sometimes because of issues like turnover and constantly evolving product lines. that doesn't mean we don't have a responsibility to our customers, i think it just means we need to better train our sales staff.

I just have a problem with going into a retailer with no plan to buy and only wanting to see the product you plan to get somewhere else.

post #27 of 36 Old 01-21-2012, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Crutchfield is overpriced, period. Best buy's selection isn't the best unless you have a magnolia. Even then, they are hit and miss.

Newegg used to be the lowest. They aren't anymore when it comes to computer parts. They automatically raise prices on hot selling items. As inventory lowers, the price increases.. Sometimes $15-45 dollars in increase. Commonly, this is found on motherboards and video cards..

They sell avr's, but you won't receive the manf warranty. That's a hard pill to swallow when you are buying a $1000+ receiver.

Amazon is a terrific retailer. Their diamond jewelry bests those found at brick/mortar locations such as zales, bailey banks, Jared's, etc. you can save 70% buying jewelry from amazon compared to the big guys... And walk away with better quality stones and gold to boot.

Bottom line is, know where youre buying from. What good is 0% interest if you are paying msrp? I'll pay cash from the lowest selling retailer and make out in the end from both sides.
post #28 of 36 Old 01-21-2012, 10:07 AM

Liked: 16
Before I bought my Yamaha receivers I checked their website to see if Newegg was authorized. Check it out yourself: http://usa.yamaha.com/dealers/ Their prices go up and down like the stock market.
post #29 of 36 Old 01-21-2012, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous View Post

Crutchfield is overpriced, period. Best buy's selection isn't the best unless you have a magnolia. Even then, they are hit and miss.

Overpriced compared to who..
What if the purchased unit is defective and needs to be returned..
Who pays the return freight of the defective unit?
After the 30 day period, who handles the warranty?

On the internet there will always be a better price..
But before confirming the purchase be sure you can answer the above basic questions..

Quote:

Amazon is a terrific retailer. Their diamond jewelry bests those found at brick/mortar locations such as zales, bailey banks, Jared's, etc. you can save 70% buying jewelry from amazon compared to the big guys... And walk away with better quality stones and gold to boot.

Bottom line is, know where youre buying from. What good is 0% interest if you are paying msrp? I'll pay cash from the lowest selling retailer and make out in the end from both sides.

In California, the cost advantage from Amazon for no sales tax will end soon.. The business model of purchasing via the internet is changing, and will continue to evolve in the future as the states try to cover their deficits.

IMHO..
Everyone likes a lower price but one needs to make sure about who they are buying from and what are their warranty, return and respective adjustment policies...
The profit margin on CE products is simply too slim to provide all of the elements and support one may expect, as these are costly..

Just my $0.02...
post #30 of 36 Old 01-21-2012, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
The old saying between quality, service and price still applies. Pick Two:-)
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page