AVS Forum banner

ML Motion 12/Preface users: Your Amp(s)??

2K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  Splicer010 
#1 ·
Moderators, I assumed since this is technically an Amp question it belonged here...? I'm sorry if wrong...

I'd like to get a list from the guys running ML Motion 12's and also Preface speakers as Fronts, (NOT the ESL guys, running CLX's and wouldnt use my Motions as a doorstop...
) and what Amp(s) setup your currently running to make them come to life. A list like this might help myself (and others?) expand the choices considered for upgrade...

Please chime in!

H

See less See more
#2 ·
What do you mean by "make them come to life"?

There's already enough threads talking about the "sound signature differences" between amplifiers. Generally the result is a very long and drawn-out flame-war.

From MartinLogan, the Motion 12 and Preface are listed as 4 ohm speakers ("compatible with 4, 6, and 8 ohm rated amplifiers") - any amplifier or receiver that is suitable for that kind of load would be suitable here. There are many devices that will fit into that.

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by walbert /forum/post/21522047

What do you mean by "make them come to life"?

There's already enough threads talking about the "sound signature differences" between amplifiers. Generally the result is a very long and drawn-out flame-war.

From MartinLogan, the Motion 12 and Preface are listed as 4 ohm speakers ("compatible with 4, 6, and 8 ohm rated amplifiers") - any amplifier or receiver that is suitable for that kind of load would be suitable here. There are many devices that will fit into that.

Wow, great, 'sound signature', did I say that??

I'm sure I really wasnt looking to incite a flame war, I thought it was clear in the title, I'd just like to get info from the guys with motion 12's or Preface speakers' current Amplifier setups, to get an idea of what other guys are using, what they feel works for those speakers specifically, what they feel is enough, not enough, whathaveyou, it seems theres not always alot of love for either of these 'entry' ML's sometimes, so I just wanted one central post where users of these speakers might put up what their using. Not pros vs. cons, not a 'my amp is better than yours' just a running list in case anyone else like myself was interested. Certainly didnt wanna ruin anyone's day.
btw I'm the same gainiac that posted a review on the ML site. but I appreciate the Martin Logan quote. Thanks for the info......

H

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoellis /forum/post/21773016

I have the Preface in my system. They are driven by a Pioneer Elite VSX-59TXi. The clarity is fantastic. Some might call the setup a bit bright, but not sure if that's the Pio or the ML's.

Geez, nice receiver! I'll bet they sound great!

I've heard some claim theres a tonal differences between rcvrs, Pio vs Denon vs Onkyo vs whathaveyou, but I had about a year of annoying my local BB staff with various combinations and I found myself coming back to the ML stuff FOR that clarity and top end with any number of receivers we tried. Maybe after many years of loud guitar I've gone deaf... WHAT? Huh??

I hear alot of great things from the Preface users I've spoke to. Love to give them a head's up comparison w/ the 12's someday, see how they contrast/compare...

#11 ·
Me, Splice?

Oh yeah, ive had em a few months now and loving em! I'm thinking it's time for an amp upgrade...
I'm guessing the ML's will run cleaner with more power seeing as I'm always at the upper end of my Denon 1911's volume limits. I'm assuming under heavy load theyre being forced some distorted freq.'s at times. But I think a new sub is up first, the 100w Sony 12" is too boomy and farts out at times... Time for some more upgrades...

#12 ·

I recommend this for a sub:
http://www.parts-express.com/wizards...AT&srchCat=620

Just got one for my sister and you get MORE than your monies worth IMHO.

As for the AVR, also just got my sister a sweet 2310 off the 'bay for under $200 shipped...So for less than the price of most amps, get a great sub and step up your AVR for just a bit over $300. Even if you have to get an older AVR like the 3808, you get ALOT for usually around 400 give or take. Not bad for an AVR that was 2500 new and has everything you need/want minus 3D which, for me, is a non issue.

Didn't realize (remember?) you had the 12's. Yes, I think they sounded pretty good, but I think the Preface is better. For me that is. But then again I never heard the 12's in my environment, only BB. And vice versa with the Preface, my environment and nowhere else so I guess I'm predjudiced a lil bit.

#13 ·
I've been pondering the 4311 for some time... Its a race between that or knuckling under and adding the ESL's.... LOL

I'm going to reserve judgement till I go exploit the last known Bbuy that has the 12's still on the showroom floor and give a hard listen.

I think some esl's up front, the 12's to the rear and the 4's in the sides would be nice and insane... but... I'm not sure about the 3d for the future. I've painted myself into a corner once already with the 1911, I dont want to find myself HERE again down the road with a TV upgrade so I'm still on the fence over the xx08, xx09, xx10's... I dont know....

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 /forum/post/21827309

As long as 3D is nothing to you, the 4310 is what you want. The ONLY reason for anything more is 3D.

I Know... I'm still sitting on the ol' fence over this one... with all the new sets seemingly coming w/ 3d already, and an eventual upgrade down the road for a larger screen.... Ugh... I'd love the $ break on the '10, but I'd hate to regret it later... It's always Something, isnt it.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.