Onkyo TX-SR606 replacement - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-20-2012, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I have an Onkyo TX-SR606 receiver who recently caught the dreaded HDMI problem so now I'm faced with a upgrade situation. I currently have a Bose Acoustimass 6 speaker set which I'm not planing on upgrading just yet, to my unexperienced ears it sounds good enough(which means great).

Anyway, I was hoping to find a replacement for the 606 in Onkyo or Denon, since they are really feature rich as far as I can see. I'd like to have 3D support for a future screen, networking support and the best audio codecs available (really a fan of DTS HD MA in movies).

I like the Denon AVR2112 but seems a little pricey at $650 compared to Onkyo's TX-NR609 at around $400 (which is THX certified).

Can you please share your thoughts as to what might be a better replacement. Does THX certification add a great deal of audio quality? Will it be compatible with by Bose system (can't find much on Bose specs).

Thanks for your help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2012, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I was in a similar situation.

I ended up with a Denon 1712 and the sq beats the 606 all day long. I did not want all the networking stuff, and the 1712 has the better Audyssey system, which made a significant difference in my room.

I did call Onkyo about my 606's HDMI problems and they are doing a one time out of warranty fix on these units. I sent them the requested info and am waiting for an RMA to send it to them for repair. Will cost me the shipping fee, but that will be worth it for a functional unit in my second system.

Denon's manuals and user interface are pretty bad, compared to Onkyo, but the sound quality is tons better. It's probably the improved Audyssey system that eq's the sub where Onkyo's did not.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply! Denon 1712 does look like a sweet deal.

What I don't get is why its on par with the Onkyo's 609 in terms of $. They are both under $400 but Onkyo's 609 is THX certified (not sure how much of a deal that is for a small room, and even if my speakers support it?), networking support, 3D support, and even 4k support.

Can anyone with a 609 comment on their experience so far?

Thanks to all.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alerod98 View Post

Thanks for your reply! Denon 1712 does look like a sweet deal.

What I don't get is why its on par with the Onkyo's 609 in terms of $. They are both under $400 but Onkyo's 609 is THX certified (not sure how much of a deal that is for a small room, and even if my speakers support it?), networking support, 3D support, and even 4k support.

Can anyone with a 609 comment on their experience so far?

Thanks to all.

Onkyo's MO is to pack in a ton a features at a lower price, while some other companies spend their budget in SQ and focus on features at a higher price point.

The THX certification just means that Onkyo paid THX to test their receiver and it came back as passing whatever level. I can't really tell you much more than that because the tests they run and what criteria is required to pass is secret. It is safe to say however, that it is almost largely meaningless unless you listen to stuff at "reference" volume (0 on your volume knob), and is another example of Onkyo spending money to check a box on the spec sheet instead of making better sound.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, so if I would want networking, 3D support, great sound quality and all that stuff, a more accurate comparison should be Onky's TX-NR709 vs Denon's AVR2112CI, which after going through reviews online Onkyo sounds like a better deal overall.

The question I have right now is, does Denon have better overall sound quality? I really like the Onkyo but I am also worried about the quality of the components, since my current one has the dreaded HDMI issue.

Thanks for your help.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:21 PM

So I'm guessing the dreaded HDMI problem has something to do with the handshaking with devices and the receiver, correct? There is anyway to fix it?
Old 11-01-2012, 08:43 PM

Can you really expect Onkyo sound quality to go up with higher end models? I have been dealing with Onkyo in my home environment for a few years now and my reasonably solid impression is that Onkyo is just budget all the way.

Like, they have two kinds of bluray-disc-players, a really really really really REALLY budget one that can't even compare to Sony or Philips, and an expensive one that costs 4x as much and would have the appearance of being "high end" but as far as I expect it, that is just farce, it may be twice as good but will still break, it is just a thing with good features and other than that in the end you might find that it is still crap.

Naturally, my experience is extremely limited. I just had a dvd player (DV-SP506) break on me after a year, and instead of repairing it they gave me my money back, hoping I will buy the expensive BD player. If they had any inkling of reasonability they would introduce mid-range models and just drop the lower end ones. People buy the lower end ones not knowing what they'll get and then having to upgrade after the fact anyway, now owning a Onkyo receiver that will only look good with that Onkyo BD player, the BD-SP809 at €400. My local dealer plays into it by pretending he doesn't know and keeping silent about these issues unless you come back to him and express yourself and then he's like "oh yes, yes, that's right." Onkyo just plays a nasty business in that regard.

Is just my opinion.

Onkyo also creates CD players with digital outputs that you can't use on their receivers because the CD player switches to PCM mode on the digital channel at the same moment the CD starts playing, causing you to miss the first second of playback, rendering the feature completely useless. Of course they know this, but they are hoping to sell to unsuspecting customers.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:37 AM

Liked: 45
I think that Onkyo is not really a major player in the blu ray market, and therefore I'd stay away from them altogether for those players. On the other hand, I have 2 Onkyo receivers, a 5 yr old TX SR504 and a TX SR876, a near flagship model. My experience with these two is that sound quality is better in the higher end models, but it's certainly not a night and day difference, and I have easy to drive speakers.

I had a Denon 3803 before I bought the 876, and found the Onkyo sound to be more open and forward. But current models from both companies are probably pretty close these days, and like others have said Onkyo tends to have more features for the price. But if you've had a bad experience with Onkyo, no one would blame you for wanting to try Denon.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:23 PM

Alright so that coincides with my impression. I would expect that, higher end model to be better but not night and day difference. Thanks.

Tags
Onkyo Tx Sr606 Receiver