Upgrade Onkyo nr609 or ... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-20-2012, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I bought an Onkyo TX-NR609 about 8 months ago and since then have been getting more into home audio and have already replaced 3 speaker sets and a few subs. At the time that I bought the 609 I really was ignorant to what I needed besides having an old Onkyo TX-SR601 that served me well for years.

Now I am at the dilemma that I want/need something to EQ my sub as the 609 only has 2EQ. I have ATT Uverse and my Onkyo suffers from the Audio drop outs that A LOT of customers complain about so I was thinking of switching to a Denon just for a change and see if that will make a difference as I have read not all receivers react to the audio drop outs. On the other hand I was thinking of getting the Onkyo TX-NR709 which has Auddyssey MutEQ XT and putting the 609 in the bedroom as I have a 5.1 Energy Take classic set that I could use in there, but I`m not sure its needed as I only watch tv in there to go to sleep, plus I plan to have dual subs in the future so MultEQ XT may not meet my future needs.

I have thought about just getting a DSpeaker 8033 to EQ my sub and keep the 609, but for the money I kind of think getting a new AVR would be better unless I could find an 8033 used (which seems pretty hard to do). I could also sell the Energy take classics and the 609 and get a Denon 4311 with MultEQ XT32, but how noticeable would that be in sound quality? I know the sound quality would improve as far as having MultEQ XT32, but besides that what about the amps/ processors etc.. compared to the 609 with an 8033?

I have read about the SMS-1, Omnimic, REW etc.. but honestly I dont have the knowledge or patience to get that far in right now, but would like to in the future. Thats kind of why I was considering a new AVR or 8033 as they are pretty painless to set up.

I dont know, I`m just having a few beers, kicking back some ideas on what I want/need to do for as little money as I can. I`m not scared to spend the cash, but if I can get away with a good compromise for less, than all the better. Any input or opinions are very welcome.

Life is hard, be harder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-20-2012, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints View Post

Now I am at the dilemma that I want/need something to EQ my sub as the 609 only has 2EQ. I have ATT Uverse and my Onkyo suffers from the Audio drop outs that A LOT of customers complain about so I was thinking of switching to a Denon just for a change and see if that will make a difference as I have read not all receivers react to the audio drop outs. .

The audio drop outs are a ATT Uverse problem, thus all AVRs will be about the same. Onkyos due "click", the denons won't, but the audio will still be muted. Having both AVRs I can tell you with the ATT Uverse problem the denon is alittle less annoying but it won't fix it.
I also had a 608 with only 2EQ. I found that 2eq, MultEQ and MultEQ XT, you most likely won't hear any real improvements, but maybe you will, I didn't.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page