Receiver broke. Can you please suggest a replacement - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-23-2012, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looks like a surge killed HDMI ports on my Onkyo SR606 despite being connected to a surge protector. Can someone recommend a good receiver to go with my setup

Display: 52" Samsung LCD

Speakers - Polk RTi8 tower front left and right, Polk CSi5 center, Infinity Primus Tower rear left and Right

Woofer - Elemental Designs A2-300

Input Sources: PS3, Western Digital Live, Laptop thru HDMI, Direct TV.

I do a lot of movie watching and music and really like sound effects etc. So audio and video quality is very important for me.
So I guess 1080P up-scaling is good for the content I play from laptop and WD Media player. Or does it even matter?
Don't need 7.1. Four or more HDMI Inputs. Need to be able to have everything working using only HDMI cables.
Don't really need any kind of Apple related features (Airplay, Ipod dock etc.) unless the price difference is negligible.
3D is good to have, but not necessary.

Need the new receiver to be compatible with Harmony remote. Need Aux Audio inputs in front.
HDMI port in front is a good to have. Built in AM/FM also good to have. HDMI passthrough also nice to have, but not mandatory.
Lastly decent Customer Service :-)

Can someone suggest a good receiver please...I'd like to stay under $400 (worst case) or $330(ideal). Willing to wait for models that regularly go on sale etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-23-2012, 01:04 AM

Dont buy onkyo F"ing overheating issues. Denon is #1
post #3 of 9 Old 01-23-2012, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubborn View Post

Looks like a surge killed HDMI ports on my Onkyo SR606 despite being connected to a surge protector. Can someone recommend a good receiver to go with my setup

Display: 52" Samsung LCD

Speakers - Polk RTi8 tower front left and right, Polk CSi5 center, Infinity Primus Tower rear left and Right

Woofer - Elemental Designs A2-300

Input Sources: PS3, Western Digital Live, Laptop thru HDMI, Direct TV.

I do a lot of movie watching and music and really like sound effects etc. So audio and video quality is very important for me.
So I guess 1080P up-scaling is good for the content I play from laptop and WD Media player. Or does it even matter?
Don't need 7.1. 4 or more HDMI Inputs. Need to be able to have everything working using only HDMI cables.
Don't really need any kind of Apple related features (Airplay, Ipod dock etc.). 3D good to have, but not necessary.
Need the new receiver to be compatible with Harmony remote. Need Aux Audio inputs in front.
HDMI port in front is a good to have. Built in AM/FM also good to have. HDMI passthrough also nice to have, but not mandatory.
Lastly decent Customer Service :-)

Can someone suggest a good receiver please...I'd like to stay under $400 (worst case) or $330(ideal). Willing to wait for models that regularly go on sale etc.

You could try and repair the HDMI board. On my AVR as a precaution, I have 2 fans running on top of the HDMI that plug into its USB. Alternatively you could purchase a Smart Strip and use that to power the fans. So when the TV comes a live everything powers up. I am sure this will save you some money as well since the additional electrics won't draw vamp power.
post #4 of 9 Old 01-23-2012, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaty View Post

Who said anything about overheating... Sound like someone has issues

He said
Quote:

Looks like a surge killed HDMI ports

post #5 of 9 Old 01-23-2012, 05:45 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaty View Post

...Not true with the latest Onkyo '09 series (2011). Heating issues were an issue with the 2010 and earlier Onkyo's. I know, had a 2010 model 807 that burned up the HDMI board. ONKYO, Still the "best bang for the buck" brand!
post #6 of 9 Old 01-23-2012, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 81
If you can stretch, the Denon 2112 for 449 would be my pick. The 1712 is a good budget receiver as well. I would choose it over the 1912. Oddly, the 1712 uses MultEQ XT whereas the 1912 only uses MultEQ.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-23-2012, 07:42 PM

mrx 300
post #8 of 9 Old 01-23-2012, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I shopped around and came up with few choices. Of course If I can get a perceivable difference I am willing to go up in price.
All below models do 5.1 surround, support 3D, have at least 4 HDMI Inputs.

What I'm not sure is if any of these will be under powered to get the best out of my speaker system when I play 1080p with good sound effects.
And whether there is any significant quality difference in Audio/Video due to the chip used for decoding those etc.
Like for example Onkyo TX NR509 and Onkyo TX NR609 seems to have Watts/channel difference and chip differences in addition to 509 being just 5.1.

Also if Denon 1712 is good for me, then 1612 should also be good right? It only seems to be a 5.1 version of the 1712.
I honestly don't know why the Pioneer 521K is that cheap. Looking at the specs here - http://imgur.com/tx1w2 , I don't see any difference that matters to me except upscaling to 1080p.

Taking about which is Upscaling a big deal?
If I play content using Western Digital Media Player or Laptop, wouldn't those be able to upscale the content to 1080p rather than rely on the receiver to do the job?

Which of the below will you recommend and do you have any other suggestions..sorry for the looong response!

Onkyo TX NR509
Onkyo TX NR609 (has better video chip etc...has a front HDMI input which is very nice)

Pioneer VSX-921-K for $230 at Walmart
Pioneer VSX-521K for $150 at Walmart
differences between models here - http://imgur.com/tx1w2

YAMAHA RX-V571BL $250 at Frys and usually $199 on sale

Denon AVR-1612 (5.1 version of 1712)
Denon AVR-1712 ( 1712 has gone as low as 250 on newegg )

And one last question..In HDMI passthrough, how does the receiver know which connected device to accept the input from if the receiver is in switchedoff/standby mode? Or does it always take input from a specific input HDMI port among those available or we set that in the menu?
post #9 of 9 Old 01-23-2012, 10:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubborn View Post

And one last question..In HDMI passthrough, how does the receiver know which connected device to accept the input from if the receiver is in switchedoff/standby mode? Or does it always take input from a specific input HDMI port among those available or we set that in the menu?

I think that varies by manufacturer, but I don't know specifically which brand does what. I've heard that passthrough really doesn't work at all on Pioneers, so you should probably avoid them if that feature is important to you.

FWIW, the Onkyos in your price range do not have room EQ.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page