Onkyo TX-NR906 HDMI Issues - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 01-23-2012, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15

I've had my TX-NR906 for almost three years without ever experiencing an issue. Yesterday I turned my system on to watch TV and a picture never appeared, just a black screen. I confirmed that my TV, Sat Receiver, and 906 were all powered on. The 906 was set to the correct input, but the display on the front of the 906 said "No Signal". This had NEVER happened even once before. I turned the 906 off and back on and it worked for the rest of the night.

Today I went to watch TV and same thing as yesterday, all components on but display reads "No Signal" from the HDMI. But today turning off and on didn't correct the issue. I then switched to my OPPO Blu Ray and same thing "No Signal".

I then did some troubleshooting. I connected both the Sat Receiver and Blu Ray directly to the TV and they both worked fine.

I then focused back on the 906. I tried bringing up the Onkyo's set up menu, nothing. I switched to the second HDMI monitor out in the menu and moved the cable in back to the second HDMI out, nothing. I did a factory reset of the receiver and tried everything again, nothing.

Again I have had this receiver for three years and never had a problem. I have swapped out new source components, but have never experienced any HDMI issues in the past. The last change I made to the system was adding the OPPO Blu Ray player just after Christmas; it has worked fine since I hooked it up. But then today, the HDMI doesn't seem to work no matter what I do.

It's almost like the HDMI board just failed; unfortunately right now that's the only thing that makes any sense.

Is there anyone else that has experienced this with an Onkyo TX-NR906?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-23-2012, 11:49 PM

Liked: 10
ive heard similar problems about the nr609. i think you fried that one component in your receiver. try plugging in the hdmi cable in another place like dvd, game, or cbl on the receiver unit

i got problems with my ht rc 360 the onkyo handshake issue
post #3 of 19 Old 01-24-2012, 01:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGeek99 View Post

It's almost like the HDMI board just failed; unfortunately right now that's the only thing that makes any sense.

Is there anyone else that has experienced this with an Onkyo TX-NR906?

The onkyo's of the last several years are famous for hdmi boards failing. Expensive to fix.
Time to buy a new receiver. Tons of onkyo failure threads back up my comment.
post #4 of 19 Old 01-24-2012, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. I looked a little last night before posting but didn't find much. My searches last night were specific to the TX-NR-906. It was getting late so I figured I'd start another thread to see if I got any hits.

This morning I expanded my search to just Onkyo HDMI issues and got a lot of hits. Most threads are specific to the lower end receivers (5xx and 6xx series) but searching those threads for "906" did reveal similar issues with the higher end models. I wonder if the issue probably impacts the same percentage of all models. A lot more people have the 5xx and 6xx series so there are a lot more complaints about those models.

The issue seems to be capacitors failing on the HDMI board, probably due to extended exposure to heat. I found a thread where people are replacing capacitors themselves. I consider myself pretty technical, I have no problem fixing/building PCs but I've never attempted anything like in that thread.

If my issue is the same as others, does anyone have any experience with having their HDMI board repaired/replaced at a service center? Does anyone know the typical cost to repair or replace the HDMI board?

Thanks!

post #5 of 19 Old 01-24-2012, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Here is a link to just 1 thread from your year. Different model though.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...onkyo+problems

Has a link to diy repair. I had the Onkyo 1007. The top center back gets ultra hot directly over the hdmi board. Since bought similar yamaha and denon receivers. No heat over the hdmi area at all. About 6 months to 2 years ago tons of complaints here about onkyo/integra hdmi failures. If you can fix it yourself go for it. Out of my league.
post #6 of 19 Old 01-24-2012, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Yes I've noticed that right over the HDMI section is where it is always the warmest to the touch. I didn't check much after the first couple months. It never really was any warmer than the Harman Kardons I'd had in the past so I just thought well AB amps are going to run hot.

I did however notice that the warmest part was never over the amp heat sinks or power supply where I thought it would be it was always over the back middle and just to the right a little where the HDMI board was.

Interesting that the Yamaha and Denon HDMI boards dont seem to run as hot, I wonder why that is?

post #7 of 19 Old 01-24-2012, 02:42 PM

Liked: 42
I had the same heat issues with my 876 Onkyo. Bought a cheap computer fan for it right away and laid it down to suck air out of the hot spot. Over 3 years later no issues. Later I even added a 2nd fan. I also have a 5 yr old Onkyo 504 no issues and no fans with that one.

I don't know why only Onkyo seems to have that hot spot, but IMO they should have had higher rated caps for those boards. The current Onkyos apparently run much cooler so perhaps it's a non issue now.

That 906 is a beauty, if you can I'd swap out the offending caps, the amp section approaches the performance of a separate amp. I found a review of the 875 that bench tested the amp and found it could do rated power to 5 channels, and slightly less to 7 channels. I don't think anyone makes them like that anymore(well maybe NAD, HK and some super high end AVRs).
post #8 of 19 Old 03-02-2012, 03:14 PM

I have the same problem with the TX-NR906 HDMI outputs. When I got it 2 yrs ago. All was OK. I bout this expensive , $2,500 receiver because I was tired of massive Component Cable mess with my old Pioneer ELITE receiver.
Now, my DHMI Main output is totally DEAD, and the HDMI SUB takes 20 minutes to warm up in the morning.

It slowly got worse and worse of time.

Does anyone know which ones of the Electrolytic Capacitors must be replaced on the HDMI Board ?

My guess it is one, or more of the Voltage Regulator(s) output Decoupling Caps. Generally , the Capacitance drops when Electrolytic capacitors fail.

Each HDMI Transmitter chip has 3 Regulators.

HDMI Main chip has One is 5 Volt Regulator - Q9305 a S-812C50BUC and it has C8328 , a 22uF, 16 V Electrolytic Cap. The manufacturer of this regulator notes to pay attention to ESR for Tantalum & Electrolytic caps. And at low temperature (I am thinking like when unit has been off all night long ), they may oscillate because ESR increases. However, I scoped the output of this regulator and it looks good. This was easy since this regulator was on top of the board and easy to get to and scope under power.

Now I have to scope under the board to see health of the following:

Then there is the 1.8V Reg, Q8595 a BA18BCOFP which has a 100uF, 4V Electrolytic cap on it's output. The manufacturer of this part state to make sure the output Cap is at least 22uF with ESR between 0.05 TO 2 Ohms.

Then another 1.8V Reg, Q8404, a XC6213B182M with C8443 , 220uF, 4Volt Electrolytic cap on the output.

The same Regulators with capacitors for HDMI SUB chip.....

Reading the details of the Regulators, the manufacturers
post #9 of 19 Old 03-14-2012, 08:36 PM

this issue makes HDMI Cable gone bad, just change it and everything will be resolved

RC
post #10 of 19 Old 03-15-2012, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojadroga View Post

I have the same problem with the TX-NR906 HDMI outputs. When I got it 2 yrs ago. All was OK. I bout this expensive , $2,500 receiver because I was tired of massive Component Cable mess with my old Pioneer ELITE receiver.
Now, my DHMI Main output is totally DEAD, and the HDMI SUB takes 20 minutes to warm up in the morning.

It slowly got worse and worse of time.

Does anyone know which ones of the Electrolytic Capacitors must be replaced on the HDMI Board ?

My guess it is one, or more of the Voltage Regulator(s) output Decoupling Caps. Generally , the Capacitance drops when Electrolytic capacitors fail.

Each HDMI Transmitter chip has 3 Regulators.

HDMI Main chip has One is 5 Volt Regulator - Q9305 a S-812C50BUC and it has C8328 , a 22uF, 16 V Electrolytic Cap. The manufacturer of this regulator notes to pay attention to ESR for Tantalum & Electrolytic caps. And at low temperature (I am thinking like when unit has been off all night long ), they may oscillate because ESR increases. However, I scoped the output of this regulator and it looks good. This was easy since this regulator was on top of the board and easy to get to and scope under power.

Now I have to scope under the board to see health of the following:

Then there is the 1.8V Reg, Q8595 a BA18BCOFP which has a 100uF, 4V Electrolytic cap on it's output. The manufacturer of this part state to make sure the output Cap is at least 22uF with ESR between 0.05 TO 2 Ohms.

Then another 1.8V Reg, Q8404, a XC6213B182M with C8443 , 220uF, 4Volt Electrolytic cap on the output.

The same Regulators with capacitors for HDMI SUB chip.....

Reading the details of the Regulators, the manufacturers

There is a thread on AVS with detailed instructions how to repair Onkyo HDMI boards. I think it may be specific to the 606 but there are posts about people ding the same thing with other models including the 906. The primary difference is the 906 has more caps to replace. I think the 606 has something like 7 or 8 that should be replaced; the 906 is more like 16 if i remember correctly. I'd include the link but I'm at work. Just search "repair Onkyo HDMI board" and you shouldn't have too much trouble finding it.

The instructions are pretty detailed but it was beyond my technical capabilities. Based on your response above you may be able to try it. Good luck!

post #11 of 19 Old 03-15-2012, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Here is a link where Scotty 2 repaired his 876 HDMI board. The 906 and 876 should have the same HQV HDMI boards. If the link does not work, look for the How to DIY ; TX-SR576/TX-SR606/etc HDMI daughterboard repair (for dummies?) thread, go to page 14 and look at post #402...

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #12 of 19 Old 05-29-2012, 08:37 AM

This model of Onkyo receiver overheated with me and it seems to be a common problem. Just Google Onkyo (or this model) along with the words "hot" and "sparks" or "fire". In 2009, the first Onkyo (this receiver) I bought from Amazon worked for a week, and then in popped loudly, sparks, sizzled loudly, and then smoke started pouring out the top. It self destructed. Over the next 2 months, the replacement failed for the same reason - overheating. The third one failed within 2 years. In later 2010 and earl 2011 the HDMI was intermittently failing. The unit had always run hot like it's two predecessors. The heat caused complete failure just as the warranty was expiring. Onkyo covered the repair - failure of a large number of capacitors (and HDMIs). FOLLOW UP - 2012 - The unit still runs too hot in my opinion. I now unplug it between uses. I am concerned that this may be a design defect. If there were enough complaints to the President of Onkyo USA and the Federal Consumer safety board, maybe Onkyo would address it.
post #13 of 19 Old 05-29-2012, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 41
The high end Onkyo receivers (since the 875/905 series) all use the HQV video processor. This video processor runs hot as hell (all the video processors used by Onkyo run quite hot, so the problem is endemic throughout their models). While HQV says the processor can run without any need for a heat sink, no one realized that the heat generated would actually use the circuit board itself as a heat sink. The circuit board then transfer the heat to the caps (which are rated only for 85 degrees thermally) on the board, which dries out, causing the failure (both my 905 and 906 had to be serviced, the cost back then was about $400 to replace the caps)

To alleviate this issue, people have been placing PC fans over the HDMI board to draw out the hot air (use 120mm size fans for best effect, also it can spin at lower speeds to move the same volume of air that a smaller fan at a higher speed. lower speed=less noise). I also purchased some self adhering heat sinks and stuck them on the HQV chips to draw out the heat. If you replace the caps, use ones that are rated for 105 degrees. They will last longer. I think that is why other brands may not be having the same issues as they are using the higher rated caps.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #14 of 19 Old 12-30-2012, 04:48 PM

Mine died a slow death - degradation of HDMI resulting in increasing switching on and off (NO SIGNAL on the display panel) until in the last days it could not lock on at all. Tried the cap repair on the 100uF, 4V, qty at least 14 but ended up lifting both pads on the MAIN output CAP. So, called it quits. Unfortunately, this was the 13th to be replaced - almost got to try it out.
post #15 of 19 Old 01-13-2013, 11:10 AM

Mine going too mad.gif, had it since November 2008 so can't complain too much though but it's mighty frustrating having to switch the thing on and off to get a picture. What are you guys going to as a replacement? Looking for equivalent sound and video processor quality, but ideally something that runs a little cooler!
post #16 of 19 Old 01-15-2013, 03:00 PM

Just fixed my 806 that had previously taken roughly 25 min (and getting worse quickly) to pick up a signal through HDMI.

I had seen this youtube video for fixing a 606, but was skeptical if it could actually do the job.

Thank you for confirming the higher models could also be fixed.

I had the HDMI board replaced due to the blue dots through warranty, and was furious when the signal drop began happening. Pretty easy fix for someone with little soldering skills, and for ~$5 well worth the attempt and effort. Sure beats sending it in (hundreds of dollars) or even buying a new receiver (even more monies).

Once again thank you to whoever figured out the capacitors were the problem, and to those who posted the message on this forum. A new receiver wasn't exactly in my students budget for the term.
post #17 of 19 Old 07-05-2013, 10:08 AM

Mine died after 4 years in service. Quite a good run.
I don't have the budget to replace now so I guess I will connect HDMI directly to TV and use optical cable for return audio .. downgrade frown.gif
post #18 of 19 Old 08-21-2013, 10:53 AM

I had the exact same issue with mine. Apparently, this model has many issues associated with heat damaging the main 'output' board above the power supply. Like you I lived out my warranty with no problems then my main HDMI popped which wasn't too much of a problem as my secondary HDMI still worked. However, later the audio started to degrade (static on different channels). There is only one solution, get it to a repair shop. Onkyo does and outstanding job of controlling these replacement parts so DYI repairs are simply not an option.
post #19 of 19 Old 08-24-2013, 09:56 AM

Mine just cost 600CHF to replace the HDMI board and it blew up again within 14 days and the repair centre want, yes you guessed...600CHF to repair again. They can **** right off.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr906
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page