DTS-HD Master Audio - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-26-2012, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter
jzw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A quick question regarding DTS-HD Master Audio format played back on my old receiver which only supports the older DTS and Dolby Digital format. My blue ray player can support the newer DTS and DD formats. I connect the player to the receiver via optical connection. The thing is I could hardly feel the sourround sound effect. Yes, I did hear sound from all 5 speakers, but it just sounded flat. It felt like the same sound track was played back thru all 5 speakers as opposed to each speaker (channel) having its own track. I could hear a huge difference btw the sound from the bb player and that was passed thru to my receiver from my cable set up box and rodu both of which do Dolby Digital 5.1. Is there something wrong with my bb player? The decoded sound from it doesn't have the information of all 5 channels?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-26-2012, 11:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Perhaps your Blu Ray player is not set up properly?

What Blu Ray player is it and what receiver do you have? When you play a Blu Ray disc does Dolby Digital or DTS show up on the receiver display?

Blu Ray movies should sound better than your cable box or Roku player if you have it set up properly, even thru the optical output.

Afro GT
post #3 of 4 Old 01-29-2012, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzw View Post

A quick question regarding DTS-HD Master Audio format played back on my old receiver which only supports the older DTS and Dolby Digital format. My blue ray player can support the newer DTS and DD formats. I connect the player to the receiver via optical connection. The thing is I could hardly feel the sourround sound effect. Yes, I did hear sound from all 5 speakers, but it just sounded flat. It felt like the same sound track was played back thru all 5 speakers as opposed to each speaker (channel) having its own track. I could hear a huge difference btw the sound from the bb player and that was passed thru to my receiver from my cable set up box and rodu both of which do Dolby Digital 5.1. Is there something wrong with my bb player? The decoded sound from it doesn't have the information of all 5 channels?

The optical connection you have used to connect your BD player to your receiver is not capable of the "hi-def" audio formats. For your receiver to receive the DTS-HD Master Audio or Dolby Digital TrueHD you must connect via HDMI. Some BD players have an analog out available via 6/8 RCA line-out which would support "hi-def" audio formats provided your receiver has the required input.

Good luck
post #4 of 4 Old 01-29-2012, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Blu-ray players send DD 5.1 and DTS over optical when you play TrueHD and dts-MA tracks. If you are getting the same sound from all speakers, you have likely engaged something like an all channel stereo mode in the receiver for the input you are using.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page