Need an inexpensive receiver with USB or built in Airplay! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-26-2012, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have two speakers in my bathroom and two speakers on my screened in porch that I need to get audio too. Looking for an inexpensive receiver with a USB or AirPlay. What I am looking to do is play my iPod , iPad , or iPhone thru the receiver . I already have an apple airport and apple tv, but my airport is hooked up to my 60" and sound bar. And my apple tv is hooked up to my bedroom tv.
Anyone know if there is some kind of two way splitter that can go from my airport to both my sound bar and new receiver that would work also. If so any receiver would work. Now that I am thinking about this I guess it would be just as cheap to buy another airport express for $100.00 and a $150.00 receiver? Sorry for the sidetrack!
Any way , any ideas on a receiver with USB or built in AirPlay? Going cheap as possible because they don't get played that often.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-26-2012, 11:55 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 1302
On Denon AVRs, the 1912 is the lowest model with built in Airplay while the 1612 is the lowest model with a USB jack. Both can be had as refurbs from authorized reseller Accessories4Less with a 1 year Denon warranty.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 4 Old 01-26-2012, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
The cheapest receiver I know of with airplay would be the Pioneer 1021 but that would be overkill for what you are trying to do. Could you run the optical out from the appleTV to the receiver?
post #4 of 4 Old 01-26-2012, 12:23 PM

Liked: 10
To be honest, you want more of Apple and their Airport Express. If streaming audio is your only concern, you can pick them up used on ebay, craigslist, or even new, they'll only set you back $100. I like to call it the thinking man's Sonus. (or maybe the frugal-man)

Paired with any receiver that will adequately drive your speakers, you should be good to go. Audioengine actually markets a power plug on the back of their powered A5's for this specific purpose.

I've repaired several Airport Express' that suffered from broken internal power supplies, put them into neat enclosures, and slapped them onto the backs of a few ipod docks. Possibly not the level of sound quality you were looking to achieve, but you get the idea.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page