Denon xx12: can one wire 7.1 in main zone and still have zone 2 if using pre-outs? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-27-2012, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I understand (thanks to the help here!) that the Denon xx12 can't be wired as 7.1 in main zone and have an amped zone 2 because zone 2 shares the surround back plugs.

But can it be wired as 7.1 in the main zone, and have a stereo zone 2 pre-amp? Then all I'd need would be a small powered amp for my outside setup...

It seems that on paper the Onkyo 709 is perfect for what I want. However, I don't want to risk a lemon given what I've read (whether that is statistically significant or not... I have the BEST bad luck in the world, so I am not risking it). So I am trying to make a Denon xx12 (1712 or 2112) work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-27-2012, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Yes..
Your understanding is correct.
Basically means that the L/R Zone II Line Outs need to go to an external stereo (2-CH) amplifier..
7.1 Surround can be done in the main room, and analog sources for Zone II.

Just my $0.02..
post #3 of 10 Old 01-27-2012, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

That's great. All I want for outdoors is music.

When you are saying analog sources only in the zone 2, do you mean that I can't have a Mac mini output music through HDMI to the Denon and have it play that music in both zone 1 and zone 2?

Do you have a recommendation to amplify for outdoors? I could do powered speakers but it seems more cost effective to have a small amp. I posted asking about this in this other thread, if you have any input I'll appreciate it!

Thanks again.
post #4 of 10 Old 01-27-2012, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Crash View Post

That's great. All I want for outdoors is music.

When you are saying analog sources only in the zone 2, do you mean that I can't have a Mac mini output music through HDMI to the Denon and have it play that music in both zone 1 and zone 2?

Most AVRs can only play analog for Zone II if doing Surround sound in the primary listening room, simultaneously...
If playing a common source (analog or digital) in both the primary listening room and Zone II, then that should be OK. However since some of the Zone II options vary between brands & models you better check the Operation Guide for the specific AVR model

Quote:

Do you have a recommendation to amplify for outdoors? I could do powered speakers but it seems more cost effective to have a small amp. I posted asking about this in this other thread, if you have any input I'll appreciate it!

Thanks again.

We have been doing custom installs for many years, and prefer to use a dedicated stereo receiver for powering Zone II. This give you complete control of Zone II plus volume & tone controls. Again depending upon brand each one has solid stereo AVRs for example the HK3390 works well here.

Just my $0.02..
post #5 of 10 Old 01-27-2012, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Another question. According to the master Denon xx12 thread and the Denon's site spec lists, only the 2112CI has the Zone 2 pre outs? Is that correct? (Seems like it from the small pic of the back on the Denon site.) If that is the case and if the difference between the 1712 and the 2112 is still at least $100, I may be back to my Airplay hack
post #6 of 10 Old 01-27-2012, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Another question. According to the master Denon xx12 thread and the Denon's site spec lists, only the 2112CI has the Zone 2 pre outs? Is that correct? (Seems like it from the small pic of the back on the Denon site.) If that is the case and if the difference between the 1712 and the 2112 is still at least $100, I may be back to my Airplay hack

For more specific information I would suggest you download the manual directly from Denon..

Here is the link..
http://usa.denon.com/US/Product/Page...eivers(DenonNA)

Select the model and you will see a place for downloading Manuals, hit it and a list will pop in you can select from. The Operation Guide is rather large 35M but well-worth your time to review for more specific details...

Just my $0.02..
post #7 of 10 Old 01-27-2012, 07:32 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked: 1505
Quote:

Correct. No Denon AVRs can play HDMI to Zone 2 while the 3312CI can play PCM 2.0 over optical or digital coax to Zone 2.

Quote:

Another question. According to the master Denon xx12 thread and the Denon's site spec lists, only the 2112CI has the Zone 2 pre outs? Is that correct? (Seems like it from the small pic of the back on the Denon site.)

More specifically, only the "CI" models (2112CI, 2312CI, and 3312CI) have Zone 2 preouts.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #8 of 10 Old 08-16-2012, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but can the denon play 5.1 in zone 1 and then stream airplay or pandora to zone 2? For me zone two is two outdoor speakers?
post #9 of 10 Old 08-16-2012, 03:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 389
No, 3312 cannot do that. xx12 models only allow Airplay in Zone 2 if the main area is also using Airplay.

3313 allows Airplay in Zone 2 independent of Main Zone.

Afro GT
post #10 of 10 Old 08-16-2012, 03:44 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked: 1505
Quote:
Originally Posted by estcstm3 View Post

sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but can the denon play 5.1 in zone 1 and then stream airplay or pandora to zone 2? For me zone two is two outdoor speakers?

Yes to Pandora and any other source except Airplay as afrogt alerts to above.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page