Integra DTR-5.3 any better than Yamaha HTR-5940? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-28-2012, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Currently I am running a Yamaha HTR-5940 receiver and ran across a bundle deal at a pawn shop that included:

Integra DTR-5.3
Sony 5 disc CD changer
Paradigm Studio 60 v2 set
Paradigm CC-370v.3 center channel
Polk PSW50 sub

Price on everyhting in the bundle was $1299...which is inflated of course as pawnshops do. I was taling with someone and commented on how they had been there forever (seen them there 6 months ago), she said they could go down really far on them talked to her manager and came back with $500 asking price

The receiver after looking it up didn't seem to offer anything over my current receiver, I could be wrong but mine is barely more powerful and THD is .06 on mine vs .08 on the integra... of course paper specs dont always mean much. BUT The receiver did have a REFURB tag on it... so even more of a let down possibly.

The Sub..... not sure how they paired it with this set but ok whatever, didnt seem to impressive spec wise (I'm buying an outlaw LFM-EX 1 soon)

The CD Changer I could care less really.....

But the speakers are what really piqued my interest. Everyhting I read on them seems to be good so far, but one thing does stand out, the fact that my amp and the amp that comes in the bundle are underpowered for them.

What was most dissapointing was that they didnt have the damned surrounds to go with the set!!!! I am a bit miffed but I might be able to get more off on them. We looked everywhere but couldn't find them! They went in the back and found the box for the remotes and wires and etc... but no surrounds.

However I think I could use that to my advantage and get them to go down more

I posted in the speakers area too on this, but am focusing mainly on the speakers there. I'm hoping to get them to split things up if the amp doesnt offer anything over my current one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-28-2012, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Imho, the speakers are the best thing about this deal. I checked out the pics of the Integra and if it had multi channel outs I would say get it also. Is there any way to split the system up and just get the 60's and the center channel??

Jeff
post #3 of 4 Old 01-28-2012, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
thats what I'm working on possibly.... but I'm getting ready to refurb some JBL 4410s and 4408s that I was possibly going to use for HT speakers... but the Paradigm are geared more toward HT use...so didnt know how they woudl compare (I started a thread like this talking about the speakers in the speaker forum)

The receiver does have multichannel in which is what I am ussing right now with my HTPC and Yamaha for Blu-Ray and DVD playback I use Arcsoft TMT and set it to decode to multichannel out, this gets me DDHD and DTSHD at least

I just didn't know if the receiver was better in the way of distortion and the like than what I had, on paper it looks not quite as good as the yamaha I am using now... but paper specs are one thing.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-28-2012, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I see that the 5.3 has multi channel inputs, the site I saw had another earlier model of Integra. But to get DDHD and DTS-Master sound from Blu-Rays you will need a Blu-Ray player that has multi channel out, and there are many available. Don't worry about the Integra's, they are an excellent receiver all around. I've had two, one a DTR 8.2 for 7 years and still works, and since last year a DTR 40.2. The Integra will be an excellent match with the 60's, no doubt. And the 60's are not just for HT, they are an excellent music speaker as well.

Jeff
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page