Does an AVR Repeat/Boast HDMI Signal? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-28-2012, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I already have a 30ft run of HDMI cable between my Onkyo TX-NR609 AVR and my projector. Now I want to add an HTPC to the setup and position it about 20-25ft away from the AVR. So when considering the maximum length of cable... is it the distance between initial source and final device that is important (ie the distance from HTPC to projector) or only the length between individual devices going to the AVR?

So essentially I'm asking if the AVR will boast or repeat to incoming signal to the devices that it is connected to?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-28-2012, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I belive the receivers take the signal process it (ie use the audio portion) and then transmit the new signal to the TV. The reason being is that the receiver has to negotiate with the other devices to make a connection (even when off and pass thru is used)

Strong or weak in the end we are all dead
post #3 of 5 Old 01-28-2012, 11:49 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked: 1502
The AVR is designed to only "repeat" the signal; however, will very likely weaken it in the process so you may end up having to add an HDMI extender at the TV cable end.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4 of 5 Old 01-28-2012, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbrown View Post

I already have a 30ft run of HDMI cable between my Onkyo TX-NR609 AVR and my projector. Now I want to add an HTPC to the setup and position it about 20-25ft away from the AVR. So when considering the maximum length of cable... is it the distance between initial source and final device that is important (ie the distance from HTPC to projector) or only the length between individual devices going to the AVR?

So essentially I'm asking if the AVR will boast or repeat to incoming signal to the devices that it is connected to?

It may work OK...
The HDMI Rx chip (Silicon Image) in the 609 includes a buffer EQ circuit which helps to compensate for longer cable runs and possible attenuation.
Also the quality of the cable is pertinent here as well, do not expect the bargain-bin $5.99 HDMI cables to work..

Just my $0.02...
post #5 of 5 Old 01-28-2012, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

The AVR is designed to only "repeat" the signal; however, will very likely weaken it in the process so you may end up having to add an HDMI extender at the TV cable end.

While a receiver may only act as a pass throuh, it has to accept it process it for audio use and then and then pass it along so there will most likely be no signal weakening as a NEW HDMI signal is transmitted to the TV from the receiver. See following diagram regarding a typical HDMI pass through implimentation

Strong or weak in the end we are all dead
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page