Pioneer VSX-1120-K underwhelmed w/Paradigm Monitor 7's - amp suggestions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-30-2012, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Howdy all,
I purchased my speakers new back in '98 or '99. A fairly standard paradigm entry level setup.
Monitor 7 - Fronts
CC-370 - Center
Atom - Rears
PSD(?) 12" - Powered Sub

I drove these with a Yamaha 5.1 receiver for 10 years and really liked it. The Yamaha finally gave up the ghost and I replaced it with a new Pioneer VSX-1120-K. Then moved, and moved again, and now finally settled in the house and setting up my system.

All that for this: I'm just underwhelmed by the VSX-1120 in terms of volume and sound reproduction. (Note: I also went 100% HDMI, previously used optical for audio)

I am bi-amping the front speakers. I've gone through the setup a few times and tried tweaking it.

I'm looking for some suggestions for two things:
1) What tuning should I be looking at for the Pioneer. How can I determine if it's just a lack of wattage?

2) Suggestions for a sub-$700 receiver (new or used) that would be an appropriate companion for my Paradigms.

Thanks in advance!
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-30-2012, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Found the MCACC thread and will do some tuning with it first. Thanks for looking. Let me know if you have any other suggestions.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-30-2012, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
I found the same issue with the 1020 last year when I got one. I bought one from best buy to try it out because I was planning on ordering the 1120 off Amazon if I liked the 1020. Unfortunately the power was just not there on the Pioneer. I had used a Denon 1508 and 2310 before the 1020 and never had a problem with either of them clipping but the 1020 had major issues when trying to push my Paradigm studios to loud levels. I also found I could never get the sound as good with MCACC as I did with Audyssey.
I am a big fan of Audyssey so that shows in my recommendations so the Onkyo 809 would be my pick around 700. I think it would have plenty of power for your speakers and it's got almost every feature you can think of. The only drawback is the number of bad reports on the 06 07 and 08 series so that is a factor to keep in mind. You can always look at the owners thread and see if there are any major issues. I have seen a few complaints on Amazon about the 709 but overall it still had 4 stars so I wouldn't think there are that many defective ones out there. The 709 is another good option and would save you a little money. I also like the Denon 2112 which you can find a little cheaper than the 709 if you call around to some internet dealers.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-30-2012, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Hello,
What is your budget for an Amplifier? Monitor 7's do need some power to sound their best and I could see how the 1120 could be lacking in that department. Just look at the Bench Test: http://www.hometheater.com/content/p...-labs-measures

In truth, it well might be more cost effective to just get an Onkyo TX-NR609 from Accessories4less for roughly half its $599 MSRP. Aside from only offering Audyssey 2EQ, it really is a solid AVR. The 709 would be ideal as it offers MultEQ XT and Preamp Outputs.
Here are the Bench Test Results from the 609: http://www.hometheater.com/content/o...-labs-measures
Hard to believe the Onkyo's MSRP is $150 less.
Cheers,
AD

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Vsx 1120 K 7 1 Home Theater Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page