Opinions on pairing Onkyo TX-8050 with Polk LSi9 bookshelf speakers (4 Ohm) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-30-2012, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 115
I had been eyeing the Onkyo TX-8050 for awhile, and after home theater remodel added rear surrounds I lost zone 2 on my Denon AVR, so it was time to go geeky with my music listening.

I've also been interviewing bookshelf speakers for my rather large living room (25ft loft ceilings). The Polk LSi9s were huge standouts, and although B&W 685 and Paradigm Studio 20 were also contenders, but the refurbished price on the Polk ebay store for the LSi9s convinced me this was the way to go.

The Onkyo supports 4 Ohm speakers at 160 W/ch, but I understand the LSi9's aren't the easiest speakers to drive. I'm guessing this will be a good combination, but having never owned 4 Ohm speakers or an Onkyo receiver I thought I might ask for more expert opinion.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-30-2012, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Had the LSi series. Really liked them but decided an external amp was the way to go for them. They are known for being power hungry.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-30-2012, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, ultimately I will probably add an external amp. Unfortunately, and with much sadness I sold an Anthem MCA-2 a few years ago, hopefully I can find another one (or another brand similarly flattering to music) soon.

Thanks for your thoughts.

post #4 of 8 Old 02-02-2012, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yay! I found an old Anthem MCA-2, it should arrive the same day the speakers do. Under $1k for a pair of Polk LSi9s and 200w amplification - gotta love it!

post #5 of 8 Old 02-02-2012, 02:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Hope it works out for you. I have always wanted to get my hands on that speaker, just to prove or disprove to myself if you need an external amp for it. I see quite a few people here posting they are interested in it, but are unsure if their receiver can drive it.

I think there should be plenty of great 8 ohm options, but I am still curious

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #6 of 8 Old 02-06-2012, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The receiver is driving these speakers just fine, no problems whatsoever, and they were cranked pretty loud this weekend. Sometime this week I will give them more power, but for the time being, despite neither receiver nor speakers being broken in, I'm quite happy.

post #7 of 8 Old 02-07-2012, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Anthem MCA-20 is hooked up. No apparent difference but there is a caveat - my wife starts throwing things at me when volume exceeds 60. Its also difficult to do an A/B comparison, having to change connections. If anything, sound is slightly richer with the amp, but this may be psychological.

Bottom line, Onkyo's 160 W/Ch at 4 Ohms is not struggling with these speakers at all.

post #8 of 8 Old 07-23-2012, 05:42 PM

Liked: 10
This isn't a knock against the Onkyo but the 160w/ch at 4 ohms is a dynamic rating and not continuous power. None the less the TX-8050 is more than capable of driving most 4 ohm speakers. It has driven everything I have thrown at it granted I'm in a small room.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Polk Audio Lsi9 Bookshelf Speakers Pair Cherry , Polk Audio Lsi9 Bookshelf Speakers Pair Ebony , Onkyo Tx 8050 Network Stereo Receiver Black