Onkyo 805 owner needs more HDMI inputs and 3D support.. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-30-2012, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So a few years ago I replaced my HK AVR230 with my Onkyo 805. I will never regret that decision. This is an awesome receiver! All of the homework I did said I made the right choice and it appears that it may have a cult following here.

So, I am hesitant to say that I may be looking for something that will make my HT a little easier to control and better managed from a connection perspective. Now before everyone says I'm nuts, I am not willing to give up sound quality so I'm hoping that the gang here will be able to assist me with my decision.

To add, I am all set for 3D and have been unable to run my 3D devices through the 805 because it does not support HDMI 1.4 so I am using trickery and switchers to be able to use my devices in 3D and also gave up 3D on DirecTV because I just can't pull it off with the current setup.

Here's what I have:
Mitsubishi 73" 1080P DLP
Playstation 3 (3D)
Xbox 360/Kinect (3D)
Wii
DirecTV HR24 (3D)
Home Theater PC with ATI Radeon 6870
Velodyne Powered Sub

I should also note that I have a Harmony One remote and only use 5.1 surround.

Anyway, thanks for any help.

Fred
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2012, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 194
If it were me, before replacing a receiver I really like, I'd try something like this 4x2 switcher.

Connect your 3D sources to the switcher, and send one output to the TV for video, and the other to the AVR. The rest of your sources can go directly to the AVR. The switcher can be programmed into your Harmony making the operation transparent.

Can't promise you won't have handshake or sync issues -- you never know until you try with a specific mix of equipment -- but the cost of the experiment is the cost of shipping and a couple of additional HDMI cables.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

Old 01-30-2012, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

So I should have mentioned that I have tried a few switches before. The problem was that some of them would output a very "green" image or I would have lines on the screen.

I've seen some expensive switches that may do better than the sub $75 ones that I've tried but I just can't help but think (from my experiences) that running my high quality connections through a $50 box isn't going to give me the results I am looking for.

If not a recommended receiver, can someone with experience using an inexpensive switch please recommend one you are using that works well for you? That's the only way I can keep the receiver.

Thanks for the response!

Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

If it were me, before replacing a receiver I really like, I'd try something like this 4x2 switcher.

Connect your 3D sources to the switcher, and send one output to the TV for video, and the other to the AVR. The rest of your sources can go directly to the AVR. The switcher can be programmed into your Harmony making the operation transparent.

Can't promise you won't have handshake or sync issues -- you never know until you try with a specific mix of equipment -- but the cost of the experiment is the cost of shipping and a couple of additional HDMI cables.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 46
If your price range allows it I would look for an onkyo 3009/5009. Or perhaps you could find a close out on the older 3008/5008 models. I had a 805 also but I sold while it still was getting upwards of $500 on the used market. The 805 was also missing newer audyssey features like dynamic EQ and volume. The main reason I would go for the Onkyos is because of the most advanced version of MultEQ, XT32. Good luck.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:55 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1985 Post(s)
Liked: 1749
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajesticNJ View Post

So I should have mentioned that I have tried a few switches before. The problem was that some of them would output a very "green" image or I would have lines on the screen.

I've seen some expensive switches that may do better than the sub $75 ones that I've tried but I just can't help but think (from my experiences) that running my high quality connections through a $50 box isn't going to give me the results I am looking for.

Switches won't work as by design will always downmix to the HDMI 1.3 source capability, rather you would want to use a dual HDMI 1.4 BDP.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMP-.../dp/B004LNOSQO

For the DirecTV box, connect HDMI direct to TV with optical from the DVR to the 805.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Old 01-31-2012, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

One more thing to note. I only have one 3D input as I had to purchase an add-on converter from Mitsu to get 3D. Sorry I know that's a crucial detail. If I had a TV that was more than just 3D ready I'm guessing I wouldn't have this problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Switches won't work as by design will always downmix to the HDMI 1.3 source capability, rather you would want to use a dual HDMI 1.4 BDP.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMP-.../dp/B004LNOSQO

For the DirecTV box, connect HDMI direct to TV with optical from the DVR to the 805.