Best pre/pro solution <3k. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 01-31-2012, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Looking to replace my aging BK Ref 20 processor so I can get into lossless multichannel and room EQ.
TV is a Pioneeer Elite Pro 1130. Speakers are 80's Vandersteen 2C fronts, VSM-1 surrounds, V2W sub, Vienna Waltz CC and some built in ceiling speakers for rear surrounds. I have a Parasound HCA-2205A 5 channel amp and a Z-amp for rears or 2nd Zone.
The room is tough, 25' x 23', windows on one side, open on other side to a formal living room that is almost as big. The TV is mounted above a gas fireplace we rarely use, with the CC between the mantle and the TV.
Sources are HD DVR from TWC (SA 8240 HDC), I have a Marantz DV6600, but may use an inexpensive Sony Blu-ray my in-laws have or upgrade to an Oppo. May get apple TV or other devices to stream movies and music.

Current contenders:
Integra 80.3 pre/pro
Onkyo SC5508 (or wait for 5509)
Denon 4311 to use as pre/pro
Anthem MRX300 to use as pre/pro

At this point I'm leaning towared the Anthem becuase of it's build quality, ARC. Can use some of the amps for rear surrounds or 2nd zone. I'd love to have an Anthem pre/pro, but even used they are more than I'd like to spend, doesn't seem a good value option.

Bring on the opinions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 01-31-2012, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 244
I strongly recommend the Marantz AV7005. It has a lot going for it. Anthem is very highly over-rated and seriously overpriced in my opinion. The AV7005 has Audessy MultiEQ and Audessy DSX plus about 20 other major features. It also has balanced outputs for all 7 channels, which would be nice for locating an amplifier at the rear later on. I think it is a wonderful unit and sells for a bargain price.

A recent review on the Anthem $2000 receiver (MRX700) revealed that it would only supply 43 watts per channel with 7 channels driven (less than several $500 receivers). So much for Anthem build quality; a lot of noise and no value whatsoever; overpriced junk.

You have some nice speakers and a good amplifier there. The Av7005 should be a great upgrade for you.

A pair of Vandersteen Model 1C speakers would probably also do wonders for the system if you have an extra $1000 or so handy (and a place to locate them). I suppose you may have a problem with the location for rear speakers, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post

Looking to replace my aging BK Ref 20 processor so I can get into lossless multichannel and room EQ.
TV is a Pioneeer Elite Pro 1130. Speakers are 80's Vandersteen 2C fronts, VSM-1 surrounds, V2W sub, Vienna Waltz CC and some built in ceiling speakers for rear surrounds. I have a Parasound HCA-2205A 5 channel amp and a Z-amp for rears or 2nd Zone.
The room is tough, 25' x 23', windows on one side, open on other side to a formal living room that is almost as big. The TV is mounted above a gas fireplace we rarely use, with the CC between the mantle and the TV.
Sources are HD DVR from TWC (SA 8240 HDC), I have a Marantz DV6600, but may use an inexpensive Sony Blu-ray my in-laws have or upgrade to an Oppo. May get apple TV or other devices to stream movies and music.

Current contenders:
Integra 80.3 pre/pro

At this point I'm leaning towared the Anthem becuase of it's build quality, ARC. Can use some of the amps for rear surrounds or 2nd zone. I'd love to have an Anthem pre/pro, but even used they are more than I'd like to spend, doesn't seem a good value option.

Bring on the opinions!

post #3 of 21 Old 01-31-2012, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I did consider the Marantz, but if I go with Audyssey I would want XT32, the Marant has outdated technology.
post #4 of 21 Old 01-31-2012, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Do you really think the XT32 is that much different? I know it is the latest, but is it going to make that much difference with YOUR system?

Quote:

I did consider the Marantz, but if I go with Audyssey I would want XT32, the Marant has outdated technology.

post #5 of 21 Old 01-31-2012, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Current contenders:
Integra 80.3 pre/pro

Bring on the opinions!

Denon 4311 is the best value of the bunch and has about as many features as you can find in any avr/processor. I'm not sure if the 80.3 has anything the 4311 doesn't(with the exception of balanced outs). So, unless you simply must have xlr's I'd go with the denon.

Edit: I'm sorry. I had the wrong anthem unit in mind when I posted. I still think the denon is the best value though because of its better feature set.
post #6 of 21 Old 01-31-2012, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

I strongly recommend the Marantz AV7005. It has a lot going for it. Anthem is very highly over-rated and seriously overpriced in my opinion. The AV7005 has Audessy MultiEQ and Audessy DSX plus about 20 other major features. It also has balanced outputs for all 7 channels, which would be nice for locating an amplifier at the rear later on. I think it is a wonderful unit and sells for a bargain price.

A recent review on the Anthem $2000 receiver (MRX700) revealed that it would only supply 43 watts per channel with 7 channels driven (less than several $500 receivers). So much for Anthem build quality; a lot of noise and no value whatsoever; overpriced junk.

You have some nice speakers and a good amplifier there. The Av7005 should be a great upgrade for you.

A pair of Vandersteen Model 1C speakers would probably also do wonders for the system if you have an extra $1000 or so handy (and a place to locate them). I suppose you may have a problem with the location for rear speakers, though.

Did you read OP's system? He has separate amps to run his speakers. So the power that the Anthem puts out doesnt matter at all as he has amps to power his speakers already. Essentially he would be getting the Anthem for the build Quality and ARC, not the power. That is why he stated the MRX 300 and not the MRX 700.
post #7 of 21 Old 01-31-2012, 10:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:

I strongly recommend the Marantz AV7005. It has a lot going for it. Anthem is very highly over-rated and seriously overpriced in my opinion.

The MRX300 is overpriced at $999?

Quote:

A recent review on the Anthem $2000 receiver (MRX700) revealed that it would only supply 43 watts per channel with 7 channels driven (less than several $500 receivers).

For use as a prepro, surely that is irrelevant.

Quote:

Do you really think the XT32 is that much different? I know it is the latest, but is it going to make that much difference with YOUR system?

Yup.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #8 of 21 Old 01-31-2012, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Many that have had both room correction systems feel xt32 was a significant improvement. Besides, either answer to the question you posed to saeyedoc is speculation by you or he. No one can answer definitively. He'd need to get both units in his room and measure the results to know for sure, and I'm thinking that is more than he is interested in doing. So, since he is purchasing new equipment why go for a unit with fewer features at near the same price?
post #9 of 21 Old 01-31-2012, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have an Anthem MRX 500 in my treated theater room, and an MRX 300 in my living room. My room is similar to yours, i.e. not acoustically favorable. My speaker set-up is 5.1 with all in-ceiling Triads and an in-wall Velodyne sub. I'm quite surprised with how good a job ARC did. Dialogue intelligibility is great at the listening positions on the couch, at modest volume levels. I disabled all of the Dolby Volume related options, which only serve to degrade the audio experience in both of my setups. I didn't try any AVRs or pre-pros with XT32 in my rooms, but I suspect it would probably perform on par with ARC based on discussions here.

With regard to the first reply you got, the quality of the amp section doesn't matter in your case. But in the event that you care, I'm driving 7 JTR speakers with mine, and it breezes along nicely up to around -6dB, beyond which I start to get a bit of compression. I don't watch movies with sinewave soundtracks in all 7 channels simultaneously though The subtle differences between amp quality are dwarfed by speaker-room interactions, as I'm sure you know, and as long as you have adequate amplification, what you're paying for today is the device with the best room-correction software and modern processing capabilities.
post #10 of 21 Old 01-31-2012, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

The review you quoted is out of date and was corrected by the author. As for Anthem build how would you know if you don't own one. I own an D2v and an MRX 500. With ARC they blow away the competition. The MRX 500 for $1400 has little competition and can easily be used as a pre/pro, Maybe you should read some reviews to realize your comments are in the minority. The MRXs have had great reviews which point how good the amp sections are and the value of Anthem Rooom Correction. As for junk I'm afraid you are woefully misinformed.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #11 of 21 Old 01-31-2012, 10:45 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Current contenders:
Integra 80.3 pre/pro

Bring on the opinions!

In your case I would probably go with the Integra 80.3 pre/pro. Given the potential demands of your room, XT32 would produce a better "model" for the room correction given the higher number of control points. Also, given your room size, you may want to upgrade to another sub in the future and XT32 can EQ two subs.

Since you have excellent amps and speakers, it is unnecessary to get an AVR. The additional real estate the amps take up in the case is usually put to good use in processors, if only in separating boards, reducing coupling, upgrading relays, etc...

FYI, I have an AV7005 and really like it - Audyssey XT did wonders for my room and layout, but my room is admittedly quite simple and straightforward to EQ.
post #12 of 21 Old 01-31-2012, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Interestingly, my local dealer has both Integra and Anthem and he recommends the Anthem, although he would most likely make less profit. He's coming out to my house tomorrow to give me some ideas for placement of my surrounds, so I'll press him for more info. Right now I'm using the in-ceiling speakers (came with the house) in a 5.1 config, but they are way behind the listening position and are garbage compared to my other speakers, so I'm trying to find a way to get the Vandersteens back in there, may have to put them on a table or stand. They may end up lower than ideal, but at least I can get them in the right area.
I'm sure my sub placement needs work also, two subs may be needed for that big a room, my bass has been severely lacking.
post #13 of 21 Old 01-31-2012, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
The 4311 is a nice unit and its nice to have back-up amps. In fact, I used to use a separate amp for my mains--B&W 804s--but ever since my Rotel died I have been using the back up amps. Truthfully, the 4311 performs so well now I likely won't replace the Rotel and no longer refer to the internal amps as merely a back up.
post #14 of 21 Old 01-31-2012, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

I certainly DID read it carefully.

My POINT, which you seem to have missed, was that the MRX700 is an example of the worst of the worst in poor quality at a high price, and my impression has been that it is typical of Anthem products; a high price with very little quality to justify it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04rex View Post

Did you read OP's system? He has separate amps to run his speakers. So the power that the Anthem puts out doesnt matter at all as he has amps to power his speakers already. Essentially he would be getting the Anthem for the build Quality and ARC, not the power. That is why he stated the MRX 300 and not the MRX 700.

post #15 of 21 Old 01-31-2012, 11:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

My POINT, which you seem to have missed, was that the MRX700 is an example of the worst of the worst in poor quality at a high price, and my impression has been that it is typical of Anthem products; a high price with very little quality to justify it.

I cannot agree with you on that. Every one that I have used has been of high quality in construction and performance.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #16 of 21 Old 01-31-2012, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

I cannot agree with you on that. Every one that I have used has been of high quality in construction and performance.

So Kal, would you recommend the MRX 300 for me, or should I consider something else? You can PM me if you'd rather not go on the record.
post #17 of 21 Old 01-31-2012, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

That's not recent, this is:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post21544870

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
post #18 of 21 Old 01-31-2012, 03:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

So Kal, would you recommend the MRX 300 for me, or should I consider something else? You can PM me if you'd rather not go on the record.

I will not recommend anything. I have used the MRX 700 and a few others but my experience suggests that the MXRs belong in the mix.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #19 of 21 Old 01-31-2012, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I would vote for the 80.3 is you want better future proof (4k upscale in case you'll get a 4k display in a couple years from now). But other than that, I would take either the 4311 or the 7005, both are very very fine unit. In fact, my friend is using the AV7005 + Emotiva mono amp to power his B&W 802D! I planned to get either the 4311 or the 80.3 for my new HT too.

I have to admit I have no experience for the Anthems tho.... But heard a lot of good things about them.
post #20 of 21 Old 01-31-2012, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark1 View Post

I would vote for the 80.3 is you want better future proof (4k upscale in case you'll get a 4k display in a couple years from now). But other than that, I would take either the 4311 or the 7005, both are very very fine unit. In fact, my friend is using the AV7005 + Emotiva mono amp to power his B&W 802D! I planned to get either the 4311 or the 80.3 for my new HT too.

I have to admit I have no experience for the Anthems tho.... But heard a lot of good things about them.

Wouldn't a new 4k display likely have better video processing than the 80.3? By new I mean new when/if he purchases one.
post #21 of 21 Old 01-31-2012, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Hello,
I agree with Kal and others about the importance of XT32. My past 3 AVR's before my XT32 equipped TX-NR3008 had MultEQ XT and I was blown away at the difference between the two. Some of this might be from SubEQ HT that is also present in the 3008 and it seems all other XT32 equipped AVR/SSP's so far. Especially is using Dual Subwoofers, it is amazing.
Cheers,
AD

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page