Low Latency Receiver For A Gamer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 02-03-2012, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey All,

I currently own an Onkyo HT-R680 receiver that was packaged in a 7.1 home theater set. The setup produces a good enough sound, but there is a fair amount of latency which makes fast paced gaming somewhat irritating. I have tried bypassing the receiver and connecting the consoles directly to the LCD which greatly reduces the lag. All audio processing options (dynamic EQ and volume) have been disabled and game mode has been turned on. I'm starting to think that this receiver is too cheap for my needs and I'm looking to upgrade. From what I've read, the Onkyo TX-NR809 is a pretty good value, but will it output the audio and video signals with less lag than my current receiver?

Thank you for your time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-03-2012, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
all receivers do some audio processing. I have not noticed any issues with my RX-V667 and consoles (Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, PS2) or computer when gaming. But then again, I am not sensitive to lag and I have the TV set to "Just Scan"

Strong or weak in the end we are all dead
post #3 of 10 Old 02-03-2012, 10:53 PM
Advanced Member

Generally speaking, serious gamers connect directly to the TV. Most modern TV's have game mode or PC mode inputs lables that will turn off video processing to further decrease lag. When you route through your AVR or use ARC you remove that option as all the video goes through the same HDMI cable to TV.

You can run HDMI directly from game console to TV and optical audio from game console to your AVR for surround. It's a little more hassle as you have to select inputs on both the TV and AVR, but it provides the optimum gaming performance.
post #4 of 10 Old 02-03-2012, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I was considering that as one of my options, but I was trying to keep my 7.1 setup working. Thanks for your input, this is probably the way I will have to go.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-03-2012, 11:20 PM
Advanced Member

Depending on the game and/or console, you should get at least 5.1 on most everything.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-03-2012, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 549
I sure don't notice any lag on either my home theater pc gaming nor from my xbox360 and PS3 on my onkyo TX-nr 1007. What games are you experiencing lag with? You sure its lag introduced by your receiver?

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #7 of 10 Old 02-03-2012, 11:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
PS3 cannot pass 7.1 over optical and the Wii has no digital out and the 360 only does 5.1

Strong or weak in the end we are all dead
post #8 of 10 Old 02-03-2012, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter

I have been playing Marvel VS Capcom 3 and Soul Calibur 5 with noticeable lag. When I completely bypass the receiver and plug directly into the TV the lag is gone.
post #9 of 10 Old 02-04-2012, 01:48 AM

i find call of duty and gran turismo is lag killer when runned through an amp
post #10 of 10 Old 09-12-2013, 07:42 AM

Yes I agree, because these games are fast paced and it can become obvious. However, Gran Turismo can put out 7.1 PCM, and when you select "big room" mode, or whatever its called, the sound is great and low in latency...anyways, I'd just like to chime in here and say if you select PURE audio mode for your surround processing on the onkyo receivers, that helps a little bit with audio latency, but for the most part, I've yet to see a mid range receiver that boasts having little to no latency. its all 30+ ms or more. ****** by pro audio standards. Its a shame too. s far as video goes, I just realized for the first time how much video lag there is when I have motion plus turned on on my Sony Bravia HX 800. It's pretty rediculous when compared to off. So thats been MY recent revelation.
But As far as audio is concerned...
DONT run optical. It has the worst latency from my personal experience. Run HDMI and on your PS3, run as many games in PCM sound format when possible. Check out your sound setup on the PS3 and be selective in which formts you want to be supported. Uncharted 3, Gran Turismo, both games that support full 5.1 / 7.1 pcm audio. There is no decompression or processing done on these formats when they hit your receiver, other than which channel to route em to. When you select DTS or Dolby formats, you are increasing latency due to the audio processing that takes place. These formats are both fancy ways of decompressing compressed audio data. PCM ftw. = less latency.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page