I have an Onkyo TX-SR805 that has to be replaced. I'm not sure what's causing it to do this but it toasted my subwoofer. My sub started making a loud humming noise out of the blue and that was it. It won't play hooked up to anything. At first I thought it was the sub so I plugged a Velodyne and it screwed that up as well. Wierd thing is, with the sub powered on, i hear virtually nothing but as soon as I plug it in to the receiver I get an obnoxiously loud hum, even if the receiver is unplugged. Whatever the case may be, I'm done with this receiver. I'm going to be purchasing another receiver ... thinking about a Pioneer Elite but would like some recommendations on that. I just want to make sure that going with another high end receiver wont be overkill. This one sounded amazing with my speaker set-up, but hey... even if it was working fine, it doesn't have enough HDMI inputs for me anyways and I need to be able to pass-through 3D.
The speaker set-up I'm using is an HTIB. Boston acoustics MCS 130. For an HTIB these sound surprisingly amazing. I thought about piecing together separate speakers but this is for a bedroom and what I have already sounds great.
I'm basically looking to get the most out of these speakers with a good reciever but I also am concerned about overkill.
I was thinking about getting a Pioneer Elite or perhaps a Yamaha Aventage. One of my friends told me that unless I'm using tower speakers I'm not going to notice the difference from a mid-level receiver to a high end receiver. Is this true?
And if I go with... say... an Elite, would it be complete overkill to go with a VSX-53 over a VSX-51 or 52?
Here's what's important to me:
* I can spend whatever I need to but if I'm going to spend more, I want to make sure it's worth it.
* HDMI 1.4 (gonna be using a 3D blu-ray player)
* Airplay (I like the idea but this isn't a deal breaker)
* Need at least 5 HDMI inputs
* Don't really need multi-zone
* Don't really need wifi since I'll be hardlining it (so I'll at least need a port)
* Mostly concerned about the best sound for my money
* It would be nice to get something that isn't going to increase the temp in my room by 10 degrees. That Onkyo TX-SR805 put off a ridiculous amount of heat. I'm okay with heat from my receiver. I figure any good receiver is going to give off heat, but that thing was insane. I should have paid attention to the reviews before I bought it because a lot of the reviews I've read make mention of the heat it puts off.
The player I'm going to be hooking up to it is looking like its gonna be the Panasonic BDP-23FD. I'm currently trying to decide between that and an Oppo.
The TV I'll be hooking this up to is the Panasonic TC-P55VT30. I've read a lot about how well some of these receivers improve a picture via video processing. Is this something I should be paying attention to or do I want my receiver to skip this and let the TV do it?
Am I going overboard by looking at the Elites or Aventages? Which receiver(s) would YOU recommend another line/company?
Thanks in advance for your help