post #31 of 99 Old 02-14-2012, 07:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

I take it he likes the buzzword "Audyssey", but doesn't care enough to seek out the best Audyssey system.

judging by this, i fear that it's worse than that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by idkwhattoput View Post

Well hopefully this clears up any misunderstanding .. I like audyssey I use the dynamic eq and dynamic volume so I cant see buying another avr that didn't have those features . What I don't care for is whether one has 2eq or multi eq or xt blah blah ... that's not the most important feature to me .

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 99 Old 02-14-2012, 09:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

i can... "4k" (even though worthless to them) is probably easier to market to joe6pack... "our competitors only do... yada yada yada"... room correction is MUCH harder to sell than "wow, look, 4k!!!"....

outside of avs, i would wager that 95% of people have spent more on their display than their speakers... as long as they can hear sound coming out (preferably with really overboosted surrounds ), they are happy...

even here, look how many threads are in the speaker subforum that start with "i just spent $2k on a tv and avr and now i have 500 left over for speakers/sub..."...

edit: and sadly, it's not even real 4k, it's faux k... a true 4k display device would have to re-scale the signal anyway...

Which is why a certain non-Audyssey manufacturer of AVRs has no incentive to address sub EQ. Going and saying: "look, we now can make ultra low bass response ruler flat" isn't as sexy as "we have the most powerful amps", "you can stream your iPad" and "4K video processing!".

Also, you do know that in the real world, where a large number of AVR sales come from B&M stores, having a brand offer multiple AVRs with impressive sounding, but in practical terms meaningless differences between them helps control the shelf space and give sales creatures more incentives to sell them.

The disconnect between what I read here on AVS - where one of the non-sub EQ manufacturers is seen by certain active posters (we know who we are) as a declining brand with non-competitive support and abandoning the audiophile market for car and dancer audio - and what you see at Best Buy can be jarring. Over the weekend I stopped by the local BB to pick up some Blurays, and I think I saw a 2:1 ratio at Magnolia of that non-Audyssey's brands on the shelf to Denons or Onkyos. The Magnolia guy claims that they sell the brands in about that ratio. That may be true, but it doesn't help fight City Hall, so to speak.

Besides, everybody knows that you've got to spend at least 3x on your speakers as display:-).

Stuart

Denon 4311 with XT32 and Audyssey Pro

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

Sherwood R-972 with its version of the Trinnov Optimizer

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

PSB Imagine T2, Center, and Surrounds (as of 5/2014); HSU ULS-15 subs (2)

The Audyssey FAQ Guide can be found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/...

post #33 of 99 Old 02-16-2012, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck View Post

Does anybody know how the Insta Prevue works? I know it shows small windows in which videos of sources connected to other HDMI inputs can be seen. But I wonder if these windows are fixed or they can be configured in size and position on screen and if so to what extent? Then, what is the mechanism of switching between the windows?

I found this illustrative explanation of InstaPrevue. It looks it might be a great tool for those who need multisource display. Hopefully Onkyo will provide possibility for the configuration of windows on screen.

irkuck
post #34 of 99 Old 02-17-2012, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnatalli View Post

Denon offers MultEQ on the 1612 and XT on the 1712.

I want multiEQ and pre-outs. It's great the lower end Denon's offer higher Audyssey, but they don't have pre-outs.
post #35 of 99 Old 02-17-2012, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by idkwhattoput View Post

Well hopefully this clears up any misunderstanding .. I like audyssey I use the dynamic eq and dynamic volume so I cant see buying another avr that didn't have those features . What I don't care for is whether one has 2eq or multi eq or xt blah blah ... that's not the most important feature to me .

So basically sound quality is of no importance to you as long as you get Dynamic Eq and Vol. Thanks for clearing that up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

I want multiEQ and pre-outs. It's great the lower end Denon's offer higher Audyssey, but they don't have pre-outs.

I always thought the 23xx series should have preamp outputs and now that there is a 21 series it would be nice to have it on them as well. I know it's not going to happen as the 33xx series has been the cheapest model with preamp outputs for years. The 23xx series just can't be competitive with the Onkyo 7xx series without pre-outs. Yamaha started doing the same thing last year as the 667 had pre-outs and the 671 doesn't. I hope this does not become a trend.
post #36 of 99 Old 02-17-2012, 08:54 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpearce023 View Post

So basically sound quality is of no importance to you as long as you get Dynamic Eq and Vol. Thanks for clearing that up.

Actually it is, my system has amazing sq, I mainly use the dyanmic eq and vol for tv . but doesn't sound like you care & your main goal in the response was to sound like a smartass.
post #37 of 99 Old 02-17-2012, 09:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

@mj...

let it go mate... he's been led to the water, it's up to him whether or not to drink...

after all, he has "amazing sq"...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #38 of 99 Old 02-17-2012, 09:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Yeah, if he's happy.

Just wouldn't want to do a movie night at his place. I've heard setups that their owners described as "amazing" where they didn't do room correction. Always sounded like crap.

Them: "Hey, listen to this!"

Me: "Yeah, it's got slap echo and your surrounds are out of balance. But hey, at least it's loud!"

I guess if you don't know what you're hearing, anything can sound amazing.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #39 of 99 Old 02-17-2012, 09:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

yup... it is what it is...

although i'm wondering when he will catch on that the efficacy of dynamic eq is directly related to the quality of the eq in the first place...

one would think this would be rather obvious, but apparently not...

- chris

post #40 of 99 Old 02-17-2012, 09:56 AM

I had planned on buying the next 6XX Onkyo, but I'll be skipping this one. It has a $100 MSRP increase, and it still sticks with the lowest level of Audyssey.

I'll be either waiting for a 709 on sale, or buy one of the many Denon's that have MultEQ or MultEQ XT in the same price range.

I have no doubt that the Onkyo marketing people know more than I do, but sticking with an "entry level" receiver with THX, 4K, and then 2EQ seems like an odd decision. I don't have THX speakers, my room won't be setup to meet THX specs, and I prefer to listen in Direct mode. I would, however, likely benefit from a much smarter auto calibration. I guess I'm just not the typical 6XX customer ...
post #41 of 99 Old 02-17-2012, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by guns&motorcycles View Post

I had planned on buying the next 6XX Onkyo, but I'll be skipping this one. It has a $100 MSRP increase, and it still sticks with the lowest level of Audyssey.

I'll be either waiting for a 709 on sale, or buy one of the many Denon's that have MultEQ or MultEQ XT in the same price range.

I have no doubt that the Onkyo marketing people know more than I do, but sticking with an "entry level" receiver with THX, 4K, and then 2EQ seems like an odd decision. I don't have THX speakers, my room won't be setup to meet THX specs, and I prefer to listen in Direct mode. I would, however, likely benefit from a much smarter auto calibration. I guess I'm just not the typical 6XX customer ...

I'm not sure the "auto calibration" (if you mean, solely, distance and level settings for the speakers and sub) would be any different with 2EQ and the MultEQ varieties--though that is based on what I've read, not any direct experience, so it isn't gospel. As you prefer "Direct mode" (thus defeating the EQ portion of the software), it probably makes little difference whether it is 2EQ or otherwise.

I agree that MultEQ, at least, would be a logical feature for this model and price point, given the competition. However, it might actually meet your needs as you've described them. Of course, there are many, many options out there--happy hunting.
post #42 of 99 Old 02-17-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation View Post

I'm not sure the "auto calibration" (if you mean, solely, distance and level settings for the speakers and sub) would be any different with 2EQ and the MultEQ varieties--though that is based on what I've read, not any direct experience, so it isn't gospel. As you prefer "Direct mode" (thus defeating the EQ portion of the software), it probably makes little difference whether it is 2EQ or otherwise.

I agree that MultEQ, at least, would be a logical feature for this model and price point, given the competition. However, it might actually meet your needs as you've described them. Of course, there are many, many options out there--happy hunting.

Sorry, I misspoke (mistyped?). I'm not big on the THX processing modes. Running Audyssey though, is something that I imagine would help.
post #43 of 99 Old 02-18-2012, 09:19 AM

Liked: 14
So can anyone tell me what the deal is on how many channels the 616 supports? The review on Engadget basically just repeated the company line about how it supports 9.2 channel speaker setups (I have 9.1 with my TX-NR1007 and there's no going back), yet it's described as a 7.2 channel receiver. So does this mean it handles 7.2 channels of INPUT and can turn it into 9.2 channels of OUTPUT? If so, why don't they just say so?

Also, does anyone have any real-world data on how the new Onkyos handle HEAT? I had to add a cooler to my 1007, which whines a tad -- very annoying. Seeking to replace it, but am put off by prices for the Denon 4311ci, and insist on having 9.1 channel support and full Audyssey. So my only real alternative is some species of Onkyo, but NO GO if they run hot. Any news from the edge?

Attachment 237619
LL
post #44 of 99 Old 02-18-2012, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurpjohnson View Post

Also, does anyone have any real-world data on how the new Onkyos handle HEAT??

As posted earlier in this thread, onkyo is going to "lesser" amps, thus there should be less heat, Onkyo will be losing its edge over the other mass market avrs with the switch to cheaper amps, in there low end units, now they will sound and act like a denon, this is fine for most.. But if your are going to pay more of onkyo flagships, they better still weight in at well over fifty pounds !!!
post #45 of 99 Old 02-18-2012, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So can anyone tell me what the deal is on how many channels the 616 supports? The review on Engadget basically just repeated the company line about how it supports 9.2 channel speaker setups (I have 9.1 with my TX-NR1007 and there's no going back), yet it's described as a 7.2 channel receiver. So does this mean it handles 7.2 channels of INPUT and can turn it into 9.2 channels of OUTPUT? If so, why don't they just say so?

Also, does anyone have any real-world data on how the new Onkyos handle HEAT? I had to add a cooler to my 1007, which whines a tad -- very annoying. Seeking to replace it, but am put off by prices for the Denon 4311ci, and insist on having 9.1 channel support and full Audyssey. So my only real alternative is some species of Onkyo, but NO GO if they run hot. Any news from the edge?

No it's still a 7.2 receiver. You can hook up 9 speakers but you will only play 7 at once. The 1009 is the lowest Onkyo model to do 9 channels so not sure if they will drop that down to the 8xx series this year or not. You should be able to find some good reals this summer on the 1009 though.
post #46 of 99 Old 02-18-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehonest View Post

As posted earlier in this thread, onkyo is going to "lesser" amps, thus there should be less heat, Onkyo will be losing its edge over the other mass market avrs with the switch to cheaper amps, in there low end units, now they will sound and act like a denon, this is fine for most.. But if your are going to pay more of onkyo flagships, they better still weight in at well over fifty pounds !!!

Well, I've been looking at Onkyo and Denon flagships. The 616 caught my attention with its mention of 9-channel support, so I wanted to know more. Sounds like it's jus a gimmick, however.

So if Onkyo is lowering its quality, I don't want to be there. But if I'm going to keep support for my 9.1 setup -- which I like a lot -- it looks like Denon, Onkyo or Marantz. Which would YOU be looking at? is there another option I don't know about?
post #47 of 99 Old 02-19-2012, 02:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Well, I've been looking at Onkyo and Denon flagships. The 616 caught my attention with its mention of 9-channel support, so I wanted to know more. Sounds like it's jus a gimmick, however.

So if Onkyo is lowering its quality, I don't want to be there. But if I'm going to keep support for my 9.1 setup -- which I like a lot -- it looks like Denon, Onkyo or Marantz. Which would YOU be looking at? is there another option I don't know about?

Onkyo lowering its quality, only time will tell. But it seems to be lowering its value and losing its bang for the buck status, which the 60x units were always on top. Onkyo dropping "3-Stage Inverted Darlington Circuitry'" is not a good sign for things to come. By looking at the rear panel of the 616, its 7.2max. The preout for zones 1 and 2 are only marked for that use. You will need to download the unit's manual to see for sure... I think the new units will only be cheaper and fluffier and will cost you more..

onkyo 809 or denon 4311 ($650/$1250)
post #48 of 99 Old 02-19-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehonest View Post

Onkyo lowering its quality, only time will tell. But it seems to be lowering its value and losing its bang for the buck status, which the 60x units were always on top. Onkyo dropping "3-Stage Inverted Darlington Circuitry'" is not a good sign for things to come. By looking at the rear panel of the 616, its 7.2max. The preout for zones 1 and 2 are only marked for that use. You will need to download the unit's manual to see for sure... I think the new units will only be cheaper and fluffier and will cost you more..

onkyo 809 or denon 4311 ($650/$1250)

@joehonest, thanks! Was unaware of sale on the 4311ci. No-brainer at $1250. Last I checked they were $1500-$2100. Now must speak to milady...
post #49 of 99 Old 02-19-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:

No it's still a 7.2 receiver. You can hook up 9 speakers but you will only play 7 at once. The 1009 is the lowest Onkyo model to do 9 channels so not sure if they will drop that down to the 8xx series this year or not. You should be able to find some good reals this summer on the 1009 though.

Thanks! Looks like I'm headed back to Denon, if I can nab a 4311ci for the sale price. Our listening room is a sonic nightmare -- wide open, glass, stone, great place to relax, but my audio setup has work to do. Have spent on the speakers, really noticed the upgrade to 9.1 and figure XT32 is just what the doctor ordered. (Would add another sub, but there's literally nowhere left to hide one, and I'm not QUITE so crazed as to mount one under the floor -- yet.)

P.S. Agree fully with comments about speakers being the first priority, and a 3:1spend ratio may even be conservative. Another point -- do it right with your speakers and you're set for a long, long time. Amortized over all the years you'll own them, great speakers are a bargain.
post #50 of 99 Old 02-19-2012, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks! Looks like I'm headed back to Denon, if I can nab a 4311ci for the sale price. Our listening room is a sonic nightmare -- wide open, glass, stone, great place to relax, but my audio setup has work to do. Have spent on the speakers, really noticed the upgrade to 9.1 and figure XT32 is just what the doctor ordered. (Would add another sub, but there's literally nowhere left to hide one, and I'm not QUITE so crazed as to mount one under the floor -- yet.)

P.S. Agree fully with comments about speakers being the first priority, and a 3:1spend ratio may even be conservative. Another point -- do it right with your speakers and you're set for a long, long time. Amortized over all the years you'll own them, great speakers are a bargain.

I think newegg was the one who had them around the price joe mentioned but I don't know how often the sale comes up. I have seen an open box on amazon for that price about a month ago. Thats how I got my 3311 so cheap was amazon warehouse deals. I was waiting for the 4313 to come out so I could get a better deal on the 4311 because I didn't want to spend over 1000 on a receiver. It looks like I might have a dedicated theater room soon so now I'm looking at projectors so the 4311 may not happen. The 3311 has everything I need except XT32. I would love to have it but I think I will get a nice improvement with a dedicated room because then I could add room treatments.
post #51 of 99 Old 02-19-2012, 03:07 PM

Liked: 12
I am currently upgrading the hometheater in my greatroom and look forward to picking up the TX-NR717. Hope it comes out by June.

2 Hometheaters
9 HDTV's (LCD, LED, Plasma and DLPs, 32" to 65")
4 Computers (1 laptop, 3 desktops)
6 Gaming consoles (1 PS2, 2 PS3, 1 XB, 2 XB360)
80+ total video games
1 iTouch
1 iPad 2
post #52 of 99 Old 02-19-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:

I think newegg was the one who had them around the price joe mentioned but I don't know how often the sale comes up. I have seen an open box on amazon for that price about a month ago. Thats how I got my 3311 so cheap was amazon warehouse deals. I was waiting for the 4313 to come out so I could get a better deal on the 4311 because I didn't want to spend over 1000 on a receiver. It looks like I might have a dedicated theater room soon so now I'm looking at projectors so the 4311 may not happen. The 3311 has everything I need except XT32. I would love to have it but I think I will get a nice improvement with a dedicated room because then I could add room treatments.

Yep, Newegg is where I found it! And milady said yes -- birthday present.

mjpierce023, Personally, I would happily swap XT32 for the sound improvement I'd get from a dedicated room with sound-dampened walls. I think you've got your priorities right there. You're always better off "correcting" the room physically, IMO

Sometimes I've dreamed of adding "tasteeful" treatments to our family room where my setup is -- like that's ever gonna happen.

I am, however, probably going to add treatments to my office.
post #53 of 99 Old 02-23-2012, 07:55 AM

I am tempted to wait for the 616 for its MHL feature but Im not willing to pay $100 msrp increase, especially that the build quality over the 609 seems questionable. I don't know if I should care too much about it not having the latest Audyssey. I have the older 605 and after running Audyssey I ended up changing settings to my liking anyway.
post #54 of 99 Old 02-23-2012, 08:20 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Liked: 1412
^^
Although the version of Audyssey 2EQ is the same in the 605, 609, and 616, the Audyssey changes cannot be adjusted ... rather what you are adjusting are the settings the AVR itself makes ... crossover, speaker level, distance.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #55 of 99 Old 03-05-2012, 07:22 AM

I see that Newegg has the new models for sale at a discount!
post #56 of 99 Old 03-05-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mam01 View Post

I see that Newegg has the new models for sale at a discount!

Did you see the 616? Could not find it just now.
post #57 of 99 Old 03-05-2012, 11:14 AM

I don't see it also. I am almost sure I saw it before, but not 100%.
post #58 of 99 Old 03-08-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:

Did you see the 616? Could not find it just now.

Availability of 2012 models:
313 & 414 - beginning of March
515 - around mid March
616 - around mid April
features for next models (717, 818, and maybe 1010) will be also announced mid April

So far I see no reason not to feel disappointed: increased prices (come to Europe if you want to have fun ), almost useless price up driving features and cost cutting screaming loud. Bad move if you ask me. It baffles me every time seeing the japanese companies capable of outstanding achievements in R&D and still making some of the worst strategic moves possible. In the recent years Olympus, Fujifilm or Panasonic - just to name a few - did it, in the past there was Aiwa or Akai and the future could surprise us with companies like Sony or Epson. Sad but true...
post #59 of 99 Old 03-08-2012, 03:28 PM

I have been looking at the 709 for a few weeks and somehow have not pushed the button. Will I be better served to go for it while it is available at a reasonable price or wait for the 717?
post #60 of 99 Old 03-10-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mam01 View Post

I have been looking at the 709 for a few weeks and somehow have not pushed the button. Will I be better served to go for it while it is available at a reasonable price or wait for the 717?

Considering the fact that in less than two months the specs for 717 will be available, waiting seems to be the best option imo. After 717 will be in stock, the prices for 709 will fall by 10-20% (at least in US and maybe in Europe).

You could also consider the 809, which is a nice, feature-richer receiver than 709 and an overall better buy.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page