The Official Pioneer VSX-921-K Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 70 Old 02-06-2012, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just realized since I bought my VSX-921-K, that it is very hard to get help, or ask questions about this very capable product because there is no dedicated thread anywhere (that I could find).

So I'm starting one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 Old 02-06-2012, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

This baby is a lot more than meets the eye. I had an Onkyo reciever before this one, and it did not calibrate my room this efficiently, or this quickly. This thing is a shinny little marvel (once you figure out where everthing is).

Question 1:
My Onkyo had something called an "intelli-volume" that raises up the loudness level; does the Pioneer do that?

Question 2:
Is there something I need to do to get the echo off of some tv channels?

Thanks again.
post #3 of 70 Old 02-08-2012, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

This reciever is a pain in the you-know-what!

Lip sync issues on every 3D movie I throw into the PS3 slim. Infact it took a few minutes for this marvel to work at all with the PS3.

Sound is very weak compared to my Onkyo, and it is a pain to set up or to get help from anyone in this forum about it. No one seems to know why it has the issues that it does. There is no dedicated thread about it anywhere in AVS
I even tried starting one, but no one seemed to give a hoot about this product.

I was going to buy the 1021-k but it seems that the only upgrade is the "air play gimick".

I have been totally disappointed with this reciever and have decided to box it and return it back from whence it came.

Just bought an Onkyo 609 today which I am sure is much more powerful and easier to operate
post #4 of 70 Old 02-08-2012, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 112
LOL

That didn't last long...
BertBert likes this.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #5 of 70 Old 02-08-2012, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

LOL

That didn't last long...

I have had a Harmon Kardon and Onkyo for years with no issues from both, and just decided to get a 3D A/V reciever. I figured I would try something new...that didn't turn out well.

I will just stay with my Onkyo
post #6 of 70 Old 02-13-2012, 05:44 PM

Does anybody know how the Multi Zone works on this reciever. When seeing a movie using PS3 via HDMI is it possible to stream music via Airplay/ DLNA/ Netradio or use a network-drive to the other zone.
post #7 of 70 Old 03-14-2012, 10:36 PM

Liked: 12
I just got this receiver about two months ago and couldn't be happier with it. King David said he had a bunch of issues, and no, I haven't used anything on it related to 3D so I can't comment on that, but I love this receiver. I have not had any problems with volume level. This thing can get really loud. I can't listen to movies past 50-55 (max volume is 80) without it literally shaking things off my walls (I had a living room picture fall off once during a bass-heavy scene).

It's a little hard to figure out how all the settings will benefit you, but once you read the manual very carefully and do a little experimenting, this system really delivers. The sound is really magnificent once you've got everything the way you like it. If anyone else has issues, not related to 3D of course, I'll be glad to help because I'm pretty much an expert on this thing at this point.

I think the reason there isn't a whole lot of info on this product is because it wasn't as widely available as the 521-k or 1021-k. I hadn't even heard of this product until I saw it on closeout in my local supermarket's electronics section (I had already been considering buying the 1021-k, so I was aware of pioneer's 2011 line). It's very close in capability to the 1021-k outside of the internet/network options, so a lot of what you'll find in threads for that receiver are relevant here.

TV: Samsung PN51F5300

Receiver: Pioneer VSX-921-K

Speakers: Fronts: Sony SS-F6000, Center: Sony SS-CN5000 , Rears: Sony SS-B1000, Sub: Sony SA-W3000

PS3 

PS4

-pete-

post #8 of 70 Old 04-12-2012, 08:00 PM

I am having a basic problem and cannot figure it out. I am not getting any sound right out of the box... its driving me crazy and I am ready to return it. Any helpful hints...

thanks,
post #9 of 70 Old 04-18-2012, 01:32 PM

Hi,
if someone on this forum is still active- i need help with my settings.
The sound on most tv channels is kind of muffled with poor dialogue clarity, though the bass is good.
My kit is the Monitor audio 225HD centre and fronts with Canon s70 rear surrounds and a BK XLS 200 Mk1 sub.
Any help hugely appreciated as this issue is driving me nuts and has the missus complaining!
post #10 of 70 Old 04-22-2012, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I use a VSX 921K recently after years of Onkyo use, the higher series like 3007 - 5008 and the Integra DTR 70.2.
This receiver works very well given its modest cost, a number of + points compared to Onkyo, but a few - points where the key is that the Internet Radio (vTuner) can not remember what the last used radio station was, and the user always must re indicate the wanted radio station after use :-(
Onkyo goes after the startup always to the last used internet radio station.

Also I think it is not of this time that an external USB device must be formatted as FAT32, what will result in restrikted memorie sizes.
I have already more than 50GB of music files, I can not connect to the amplifier as the HDD is formated NTFS!
Onkyo will swallow without difficulty NTFS and NTFS formatted disks must be used at this time due to the large music files of users now ........ (Especially with FLAC what is supported).
These two points seem to me a good job for a software update (Especially the Internet radio story) to make this receiver (s) stronger compared to the Competitors.
post #11 of 70 Old 04-22-2012, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudraksh2005 View Post

Hi,
if someone on this forum is still active- i need help with my settings.
The sound on most tv channels is kind of muffled with poor dialogue clarity, though the bass is good.
My kit is the Monitor audio 225HD centre and fronts with Canon s70 rear surrounds and a BK XLS 200 Mk1 sub.
Any help hugely appreciated as this issue is driving me nuts and has the missus complaining!

I had the same problem but used the manual option to correct the auto MCACC.
After the setup i put the 8Khz to +6.5 and the 16 Khz to +7.5 for all speakers, for me 5x Jamo A804 wall mounted speakers (GREAT speakers !!)
Also the bass was to high for the center and the highs to low resulting in muffled sound.
Center was setup very flat and the fronts and surrounds missed highs and this is why i corrected this manual to my liking, the only correct way
Go and see what MCACC did and correct it to your liking.
No auto room correction system is 100%, i had many years Onkyo with Audyssey XT32 as latest correction system but even with that system (8 points to put the mic) i always corrected it to my liking.
post #12 of 70 Old 04-22-2012, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_David View Post

This reciever is a pain in the you-know-what!

Lip sync issues on every 3D movie I throw into the PS3 slim. Infact it took a few minutes for this marvel to work at all with the PS3.

Sound is very weak compared to my Onkyo, and it is a pain to set up or to get help from anyone in this forum about it. No one seems to know why it has the issues that it does. There is no dedicated thread about it anywhere in AVS
I even tried starting one, but no one seemed to give a hoot about this product.

I was going to buy the 1021-k but it seems that the only upgrade is the "air play gimick".

I have been totally disappointed with this reciever and have decided to box it and return it back from whence it came.

Just bought an Onkyo 609 today which I am sure is much more powerful and easier to operate

Hi, i am an "old" Onkyo / Integra user and this is my first with Pioneer.
And i must say up until now its ok !
I do not have any problems, i do miss some Onkyo/Integra options but i can not compare the Pioneer with my last Integra DTR 70.2 what cost 1699 euro 1.5 years ago, with the 365 euo Pioneer.
But i do get a better video scaler, a more easy to use speaker adjust menu, faster connection to the internet, a fast room correction setup (i never liked Audyssey XT32 or older versions) good clear sound, subwoofer thats integrated better then Audyssey did and some other smaler plus items, and its VERY COOL running, Onkyo's run very hot.......

I do not like the looks of the menu, its very basic and not nice to see, i do not like that the used Internet radio station is not remembred and needs to be selected over and over again, i miss audio level correction per source (now Internet radio is loud and TV is low audio level), and only the use of FAT32 HDD's for music files is not of this time, i want and need NTFS support !
I mailed this to Pioneer support and hopefull it can and will be corrected.

But i do not realy care at the moment as the Pioneer is 1/4th of the price i payed for the Integra.
I do hope that future software updates can correct the Internet radio stuff and maybe also NTFS support.
post #13 of 70 Old 04-23-2012, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi, here my personal opinion of the 921.

In one word a great receiver with all the needit options for a middle weight home theatre user.
My previous receiver was a Integra DTR 70.2 with then a market price of 1699 euro and i sold that receiver to buy a cheaper model from the Onkyo range and i had my eye on the TX NR 1505 and then turned to Pioneer.
I am an Onkyo user for the last 10 years and had various models, TX 876 - TX NR 3007 - TX NR 807 (crap model) - TX NR5008 and last the Integra DTR 70.2

I must say i am very much surprised with the 921 !
Sound is great, easy and fast room correction, simple to use menu (not to nice looking menu's), and at first i whas missing "stuff" but found most are under the 2 remote buttons, audio parameter and video parameter and not in the menu structure it self.
What i do like is that you get only the options to use that are availible for specific sources.
Also i like that the subwoofer LFE is only activated when the receiver gets a LFE signal like Dolby Digital or other audio modes for Blu ray.
For Stereo (music / TV) it sends high level bass to my sub and not LFE, and when i go to a DD tv channel it activates LFE, great

For now i do not miss any of the Onkyo goodies, most of them i never used but did pay for them.........
So i am very happy with the 992 and hope Pioneer can take care of the small issues i mentioned before and have mailed Pioneer about this, and they did replied that they would send my questions to the proper manager, Pioneer Europe and Pioneer Japan replied fast within one day, NEVER had a reply from Onkyo concerning bigger problems on various models !

So until now a big for Pioneer !
post #14 of 70 Old 04-24-2012, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

I am a bit in the dark, i will receive tomorrow a BDP-LX55 and this can put out bitstream over PQLS but is this of any use for the 921 ?
The spec list of the 921 states:

PQLS: YES multi channel

More parts have the "YES multi channel", but no mention of bitstream......
post #15 of 70 Old 04-25-2012, 06:45 PM

They removed it after finding out it doesn't pass 3d! Bad purchase!! dont go there!!
post #16 of 70 Old 04-25-2012, 11:19 PM

Liked: 12
I thought about this receiver but it has a lot of limitations for audio processing. I almost bought it and found out about them. For example, it only offers DSD 2 channel streaming instead of DSD multi-channel streaming.

The VSX-1021 resolves the issues but this receiver has a high price next to the competition unfortunately. Many also have complained about subpar sound quality compared to it's price range competitors. However it offers greater inputs and record outputs than even the VSX-1121 which unfortunately has only 5 analog A/V inputs and only an A/V output with no separate audio output for an MD/DAT/CD-Recorder.

I would had seriously considered this receiver but I could find no information on the type of amplification it uses. All I know is that the lower end Pioneers use Direct Energy labeled amplification while the upper models use Advanced Direct Energy and Class D3 labeled amplification.

I'm guessing that Direct Energy is a power amplifier IC Chip and not discrete bipolar devices.
post #17 of 70 Old 04-26-2012, 04:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolMETAL View Post

I thought about this receiver but it has a lot of limitations for audio processing. I almost bought it and found out about them. For example, it only offers DSD 2 channel streaming instead of DSD multi-channel streaming.

The VSX-1021 resolves the issues but this receiver has a high price next to the competition unfortunately. Many also have complained about subpar sound quality compared to it's price range competitors. However it offers greater inputs and record outputs than even the VSX-1121 which unfortunately has only 5 analog A/V inputs and only an A/V output with no separate audio output for an MD/DAT/CD-Recorder.

I would had seriously considered this receiver but I could find no information on the type of amplification it uses. All I know is that the lower end Pioneers use Direct Energy labeled amplification while the upper models use Advanced Direct Energy and Class D3 labeled amplification.
I'm guessing that Direct Energy is a power amplifier IC Chip and not discrete bipolar devices.

I whas a long term Onkyo/Integra user and have tested side by side various brands compared to Integra DTR 70.2 by connecting the left speaker to the Integra and the right speaker to the other brand.

Here the tests i did with an Integra DTR 70.2 versus:

Onkyo 807
Onkyo 3007
Marantz 7005
Marantz KI Pearl (2000 euro Stereo !)
Pioneer VSX 927

To be honest, with my eyes closed i could not tell the differents between the left and right speaker.
So for me my ears tell me that these amps sound the same on my speakers (all amps on neutral Direct mode or without any DSP).
Maybe its my 51 years old ears but i can not tell the differents.
I am very happy with the sound and options of the 927 but i did needit to go into the menu's to get what i wanted, this whas easier with the Onkyo.
I do find that the 927 has for me more to offer then my last Integra 70.2 with a price of 1699 euro.
Go figure, 335 euro against 1699 euro and i like the 927 more then the 70.2 or others that i tested.

I am no sound expert so i let my ears do the testing and not lab equipment or specific brand statements like power this, audio that.........
post #18 of 70 Old 04-26-2012, 08:49 AM

I have a 921-k that might as well be a heap of scrap! nvidia removed it from their supported list due to a timing issue. I contacted pioneer with a c/p of nvidias statement but apparently they wont touch that with a 10 foot pole so nvidia must be correct about this avr. Too bad nvidia isn't a reputable company as they only offered my 40 bucks back and a couple of free games for my troubles! lol I did tell them that offer was a complete joke, forgot to say what to do with it! I say down with pioneer and nvidia!!!
post #19 of 70 Old 04-27-2012, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

I find the audio volume output to be om the low side from the LX55.....

I run most BD and DVD on -25 and some DVD's i can play on 0 (full power) !!
I use the VSX 921, maybe it has not enough power (?), or is this normal ?

PS. i tried Bitstream and PCM, Bitstream seems to me to be more dynamic but on both the volume must go far up compared to TV, music or Internet radio.
post #20 of 70 Old 04-27-2012, 10:25 AM

Would this amp power my M&K xenons? Or would I just get laughed at for suggesting a sub £300 amp should be worthy of my M&K X36's?
post #21 of 70 Old 04-27-2012, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent5525 View Post

Would this amp power my M&K xenons? Or would I just get laughed at for suggesting a sub £300 amp should be worthy of my M&K X36's?

I think you get laughed at with these speakers regardless the amp you are going to use.... LOL

I have used a 9.2 amp of 1699 euro, a Stereo amp of 2000 euro and now the cheap 929 and do not "hear" any differents.
I think the differents between the amps will be between the ears and not in the ears, but thats what i found.
I do think maybe the 929 is a bit under powered as i do find i need to go as high as 70-80 % of max power (Bluray use) and this is for most amps the arria where the distortion starts or is already active.
With iPod music, Internet radio or TV i run at 40-50% so thats no problem, only the BD...........
post #22 of 70 Old 04-27-2012, 12:26 PM

Bah, does this mean I need to increase my budget? My last amp was a Yamaha RX-v3800. The guys at seven oaks are trying to sell me an Anthem MRX300, but it is so ugly my wife wont allow it in the living room.
post #23 of 70 Old 04-27-2012, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent5525 View Post

Bah, does this mean I need to increase my budget? My last amp was a Yamaha RX-v3800. The guys at seven oaks are trying to sell me an Anthem MRX300, but it is so ugly my wife wont allow it in the living room.

I did managed to improve the output a bit of the receiver by turning off DRC.
Now its acceptable.
My previous amp, Integra DTR 70.2, had more power but also 4x the price !
Have a Behringer stereo amp with a lot of power but also with that amp in the past i needit to go to 70-75% of max power to drive 2 small desktop speakers from the pre-out of the Integra.
So its not just the power mentioned in the spec list of the amp, even or more important is the power of signal that is fed to the amp.
When that signal is low, in my case from the BD player or the disk itself, then the amp has to work hard to make a loud sound.
When i take the signal from the Internet radio that is high, the amp has an easy job.
So in 2 cases the amp gives a complete different result, in case 1 i would say its to weak, in case 2 i say its power is more then enough, so it depends.........

But beleave me, its a great receiver for the price, and i could compare with much higher priced multi channel receivers or stereo amps !

EDIT 28-4

Found an other setting that restrikted the power output: Volume limit.
This setting is standard set at 0.0 dB and can be set to OFF what will give an extra +12.0 dB.
I do understand why this limit is set to 0.0 as after this point the receiver will start to hiss, well, what can a human being expect from a sub $300 receiver.........

PS. also channel level in the manual speaker setup, moving the channels to + dB, will make a big differents in output.
I did an +5 dB on all channels and this resulted in a 5 dB lower overall volume use.
And we have TRIM in the EQ setting.
Also moving this bar up will increase output level but at this point i am not sure what this will do to the overall volume output, i will test this setting this weekend and report back.........
post #24 of 70 Old 05-06-2012, 08:37 PM

Hi - can I watch one source but listen to another? I'd like to have sports on the tv from my Directv, but listen to music from a different source.
thx
post #25 of 70 Old 05-22-2012, 07:16 PM

I have a 921 and would like to know if it is possible to get the receiver to stay on dolby prologic or prologicII. when i change tv channels it reverts to either stereo or pcm and i want it to stay on prologic. is this possible? also is there an option to stop commercials from being so loud? anything that is dolby digital, dts or hd audio works properly.
post #26 of 70 Old 05-23-2012, 12:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breynolds47 View Post

I have a 921 and would like to know if it is possible to get the receiver to stay on dolby prologic or prologicII. when i change tv channels it reverts to either stereo or pcm and i want it to stay on prologic. is this possible? also is there an option to stop commercials from being so loud? anything that is dolby digital, dts or hd audio works properly.

I have als the 921 and it will stay on PLII Music, the audio mode i want.
The only thing that you will see on the display is that on Stereo sources it will show only speaker left and right (the recieved input) and not 5 speakers but it will put out the mode you see in the display.
When i switch to a channel that has DD 5.1 it will stay on PLII Music, the DD light will come on, but then i will see 5.1 speakers in the display.
For evey source you can select a different audio mode and this will be rememberd

Commercials is and will be a problem and can not be fixed
This is a world wide problem.
Modes like DD level will not change the amount of dB but only do someting to high and low and give the impression that the dB level is lower, but its not.
There are no options, what ever the brand, that will lower or turn up the audio level of the receiver to a specific fixed dB level, we all wish...........
post #27 of 70 Old 05-23-2012, 02:24 PM

when i switch from an hd channel with DD to an SD channel with 2 channel stereo i always get different results. sometimes it reverts to stereo sometimes it goes to pcm. every time i must manually switch to prologic. sometimes it just uses the L and R speakers only and other times the dialogue comes out of all 5 speakers. i would like for it to revert to dolby prologic when there is 2 channel stereo so i dont have to manually do it every time a channel is changed. is there a setting that will do this? i have to unplug it atleast once a week to get it to work right. if i decided to replace it what would be the best option under $300.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBdicX View Post

I have als the 921 and it will stay on PLII Music, the audio mode i want.
The only thing that you will see on the display is that on Stereo sources it will show only speaker left and right (the recieved input) and not 5 speakers but it will put out the mode you see in the display.
When i switch to a channel that has DD 5.1 it will stay on PLII Music, the DD light will come on, but then i will see 5.1 speakers in the display.
For evey source you can select a different audio mode and this will be rememberd

Commercials is and will be a problem and can not be fixed
This is a world wide problem.
Modes like DD level will not change the amount of dB but only do someting to high and low and give the impression that the dB level is lower, but its not.
There are no options, what ever the brand, that will lower or turn up the audio level of the receiver to a specific fixed dB level, we all wish...........

post #28 of 70 Old 05-24-2012, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

when i switch from an hd channel with DD to an SD channel with 2 channel stereo i always get different results. sometimes it reverts to stereo sometimes it goes to pcm. every time i must manually switch to prologic. sometimes it just uses the L and R speakers only and other times the dialogue comes out of all 5 speakers. i would like for it to revert to dolby prologic when there is 2 channel stereo so i dont have to manually do it every time a channel is changed. is there a setting that will do this? i have to unplug it atleast once a week to get it to work right. if i decided to replace it what would be the best option under $300.00

I am sorry but i do not encouter your problems so i can not tell what the problem is, on my side its doing all the audio modes stuff correct and never makes any of your mistakes......
Maybe the receiver is the problem, have you tried an update ?
post #29 of 70 Old 05-24-2012, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBdicX View Post

I am sorry but i do not encouter your problems so i can not tell what the problem is, on my side its doing all the audio modes stuff correct and never makes any of your mistakes......
Maybe the receiver is the problem, have you tried an update ?

i have never heard of the receiver being updatable. how would i do that? i am guessing on the front usb?
post #30 of 70 Old 05-24-2012, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i have never heard of the receiver being updatable. how would i do that? i am guessing on the front usb?

Update through the Internet.
Go to Home menu, System setup, Other setup, then 5 Software update and follow instructions on the screen.
Here you can choose Internet or USB update.
I would do the Internet update......
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Vsx921k 7 1 Channel 3d Ready Av Receiver Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page