Pioneer receivers 2012 - VSX-xx22 / SC-xx22 / Elite VSX-6x / Elite SC-6x - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 238 Old 05-26-2012, 09:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was thinking of buying 2 pairs of the fs51s along with the c21 and a higher end subwoofer but i'm not sure what sub to get! My particular room is 14'x15'x8' so one sub should do it! If or when I move into another house with a bigger room i know the 4 fs51s will b sufficient ....sorry to get off topic, thanks again Hubertoliver!...I hope the 1122 isn't overkill for this setup, comments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 238 Old 05-27-2012, 04:15 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 29
The FS51's would be a fine choice. The 1122 would not be overkill as it would give you enough power and the ability to expand with any other components you may want in the future. As far as a powered sub goes there are several choices out there and even with getting larger floorstanding speakers a powered sub will produce more noticible bass and create less power demand from your AVR.

Army Rangers lead the way!

Pioneer SC-1523K, OPPO-103, Sharp Q+ 60" display, Darbee DVP 5000, Monster Power HDP IR 2550, Klipsch Quintet SL, Klipsch Sub 12
post #123 of 238 Old 05-27-2012, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerhunt View Post

I was thinking of buying 2 pairs of the fs51s along with the c21 and a higher end subwoofer but i'm not sure what sub to get! My particular room is 14'x15'x8' so one sub should do it! If or when I move into another house with a bigger room i know the 4 fs51s will b sufficient ....sorry to get off topic, thanks again Hubertoliver!...I hope the 1122 isn't overkill for this setup, comments?

The biggest problem is not what for sub to buy, but where to put it !!

I have used subs on the cheap side and subs on the high side, had one sub had 2 subs, had 3 subs and NEVER could get them to work so that i had a good bass around the room.
Used stuff like Audyssey XT 32, RABOS ect but never could get the sub to work in the aria where i whas sitting.
I get bass in front of me, i get bass behind me, never in the sweet spot.
Now i kicked out my subs and have great bass all over, no blind spots.
Ok, not as low as a LFE sub will do but i do get a audioble 35 to 40 Hz bass respond and thats ok for me, and this is all over the room, no bass dips !
So get a set of good main speakers and dont burn your fingers in spending $$ on subs you will never hear playing in the sweet spot, but that my personal opinian.
Just want to point out there is a life without subwoofers, and a nice one it is
post #124 of 238 Old 05-27-2012, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBdicX View Post

The biggest problem is not what for sub to buy, but where to put it !!

I have used subs on the cheap side and subs on the high side, had one sub had 2 subs, had 3 subs and NEVER could get them to work so that i had a good bass around the room.
Used stuff like Audyssey XT 32, RABOS ect but never could get the sub to work in the aria where i whas sitting.
I get bass in front of me, i get bass behind me, never in the sweet spot.
Now i kicked out my subs and have great bass all over, no blind spots.
Ok, not as low as a LFE sub will do but i do get a audioble 35 to 40 Hz bass respond and thats ok for me, and this is all over the room, no bass dips !
So get a set of good main speakers and dont burn your fingers in spending $$ on subs you will never hear playing in the sweet spot, but that my personal opinian.
Just want to point out there is a life without subwoofers, and a nice one it is

Fortunately I've never had issues with sub placement. On the other hand powered subwoofers create less demand on the AVR's power especially with less effecient speakers. Yes...always pro's and con's.

Pioneer SC-1523K, OPPO-103, Sharp Q+ 60" display, Darbee DVP 5000, Monster Power HDP IR 2550, Klipsch Quintet SL, Klipsch Sub 12
post #125 of 238 Old 05-27-2012, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubertoliver View Post

Fortunately I've never had issues with sub placement. On the other hand powered subwoofers create less demand on the AVR's power especially with less effecient speakers. Yes...always pro's and con's.

I understand, think you are one of the "lucky few", but a lot of people do have problems that main speakers never give without a sub.
I did the "subwoofer crawl" and yes, the best spot whas in front the door, and in a corner left behind me, both not possible.
When i use an SPL meter i find a dB differents of more then 10 dB in the sweetspot compared to the ideal sub spot.
And thats a lot in LFE world, the differents between the neighbours hearing bass and me not !
I have an L shaped room, the most difficult one to get a good bass, and i am also sitting near the center of the room (just off the center a bit to the front), so all BAD for a sub or subs.....
post #126 of 238 Old 05-27-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBdicX View Post

I understand, think you are one of the "lucky few", but a lot of people do have problems that main speakers never give without a sub.
I did the "subwoofer crawl" and yes, the best spot whas in front the door, and in a corner left behind me, both not possible.
When i use an SPL meter i find a dB differents of more then 10 dB in the sweetspot compared to the ideal sub spot.
And thats a lot in LFE world, the differents between the neighbours hearing bass and me not !
I have an L shaped room, the most difficult one to get a good bass, and i am also sitting near the center of the room (just off the center a bit to the front), so all BAD for a sub or subs.....

That would be most difficult! Our living room is 16' x 16' with a vaulted ceiling and I've always set the speakers up using the auto calibration and with a little manual tweaking after the fact.

post #127 of 238 Old 05-30-2012, 02:39 AM

I just pulled the trigger a few hours ago for the vsx-1122, 4x-fs51, and a c21. Ive about decided on the SVS-pb12 nsd as the sub. I'll use the quick setup directions that come with the reciever and go from there....I've never done this before but I'm pretty excited to hear the MUCH better sound(s) from my 2010 Sammy 55" HDTV and the HTPC that I'll be setting up as well. I'd appreciate any tips from those of you about anything, specifically how to hook up the sub and anything you may want to chime in with....thanks AVS forum contributiors/users !
post #128 of 238 Old 05-30-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyghwayman View Post

Hubertoliver,
I just upgraded from the VSX-816 to the VSX-1122

I have the Pio c21/fs51/bs21 speakers hooked up w/ a Bic F12 sub and both music and movie audio sound great. Internet radio and the ability to stream from my PC is really nice.
I just got it last Sat. so I haven't had much time with it yet but I'm loving it so far. No dedicated DVD or Blu-ray player yet, just watch DVD's via my Xbox 360 Slim but I did notice a big improvement it the PQ of a DVD I watched.

Still reading and learning what I can do with this thing.

Hubertoliver, just wondering how you like the vsx-1122 after two weeks of playing with it? Just bought one and any info would be great info thanks
post #129 of 238 Old 05-31-2012, 06:12 PM

I'm very satified with it. The only thing I can reccomend is if your using smaller front mains it seems to always select them as large when you run the auto calibration so make sure you check that. Audio and video are excellent and I have no HDMI issues at all. Currently I have a DIRECTV HD receiver, PIONEER BDP-440, and SONY BDP-S790 hooked up via HDMI to the 1122 and my display is a SONY 55NX720 LED. The PQLS feature on PIONEER products for audio is noticible..not night and day but noticible.

post #130 of 238 Old 05-31-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:

I'm very satified with it. The only thing I can reccomend is if your using smaller front mains it seems to always select them as large when you run the auto calibration so make sure you check that. Audio and video are excellent and I have no HDMI issues at all. Currently I have a DIRECTV HD receiver, PIONEER BDP-440, and SONY BDP-S790 hooked up via HDMI to the 1122 and my display is a SONY 55NX720 LED. The PQLS feature on PIONEER products for audio is noticible..not night and day but noticible.

Awesome thanks for the info!
post #131 of 238 Old 06-02-2012, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Does anyone know when the SC-68 will be available for purchase? I believe I heard a June release.

thanks!
post #132 of 238 Old 06-02-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:

I agree with dachad, it is awesome news. I've had my 1122 plugged in & tinkering but still waiting for the 4x-fs51s to arrive! What is the PQLS feature that u mentioned? I dont recall seeing that in the CD manual.
post #133 of 238 Old 06-02-2012, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

Does anyone know when the SC-68 will be available for purchase? I believe I heard a June release.

thanks!

I believe they are expected sometime in July. You could probably pre-order whenever your dealer(s) have them in their system.

Steve
post #134 of 238 Old 06-02-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerhunt View Post

I agree with dachad, it is awesome news. I've had my 1122 plugged in & tinkering but still waiting for the 4x-fs51s to arrive! What is the PQLS feature that u mentioned? I dont recall seeing that in the CD manual.

PQLS is a PIONEER feature which links the clocks of the 1122 with a PIONEER bluray with the same feature. Essentially an anti jitter feature producing a more clear sound from digital music.

post #135 of 238 Old 06-03-2012, 09:13 PM

Hi, has anyone hooked up a irule or a global cache to a vsx-112? If so what method did you use to connect it... Thanks
post #136 of 238 Old 06-06-2012, 10:10 PM

The final installment of 2012 receivers is now out on the Pioneer site.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Pioneer+Receivers/SC-1522

for $1600

and http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Pioneer+Receivers/SC-1222 for $1100

Pricing makes no sense whatsoever, as far as I can see. The equivalent Elite models with an additional year of warrenty and upgraded asthetics cost exactly the same amount

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Elite+Receivers/SC-65

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Elite+Receivers/SC-61

I mean the non Elites will be available for purchase through a wider number of retailers and hence we'll likely see the annual price drop we've become accostomed to. However, Pioneer can't price that into their MSRP, they lose credibility as far as I'm concerned.
They're selling a lesser product for the same price. How did that make sense to the marketing department? Are they inherently telling us to wait for the price drops and therefore undercutting their own prices??? Odd to say the least.

Oh well at least I now know that the 1121 was probably a better buy for myself. I get the THX certification and I honestly couldn't afford the 1522 even with future price drops. The 1222 is about the same, it looks, in terms of power output as the 1121 although they oddly left the most telling measurement out of the online spec sheet, maybe D class amps work differently IDK... and it's missing the THX certification though that might not have impact on final sound quality.

Thoughts?
post #137 of 238 Old 06-09-2012, 10:12 AM

For any vsx-822 owners out there, I have an issue: my right front speaker suddenly stopped working! Things i have done:

switch L/R speakers to make sure both work - check
switch L/R wires to make sure there's no issue with the wires - check
switch L/R wires to check the L and R terminals on the receiver - bingo
perform a factory reset - no dice

It seems like theres an issue with the right speaker terminal on the receiver. Anyone else have this issue? Any thoughts? Can't call pioneer until Monday so trying to find some answers in the meantime

Thanks in advance!
Mike
post #138 of 238 Old 06-09-2012, 06:44 PM

How old is the unit? If it falls within the return policy time frame of where you purchased it I would return it for another.

post #139 of 238 Old 06-10-2012, 10:39 AM

The unit was brand new and yesterday was day 30 of the 30 day exchange policy so I managed to exchange it for a new one (which works perfectly). Went through everything with the guys at the store and indeed the right speaker output crapped out.

Haven't heard of this before so just an FYI for other owners
post #140 of 238 Old 06-10-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miket12345 View Post

The unit was brand new and yesterday was day 30 of the 30 day exchange policy so I managed to exchange it for a new one (which works perfectly). Went through everything with the guys at the store and indeed the right speaker output crapped out.
Haven't heard of this before so just an FYI for other owners

Glad to hear you were able to exchange the defective unit.

post #141 of 238 Old 06-21-2012, 07:37 AM

Liked: 12
Been looking at all the specs and back panel pictures on the site.
What's the difference between the SC-1222 & the Elite Sc-61
Besides cosmetics, I can't tell.

I assume you can find the SC-1222 at a deep discount online and not the elite
post #142 of 238 Old 06-21-2012, 08:26 AM

I subscribe to digital cable service ( NO CABLE BOX ) from TimeWarner...is my only option to get sound to my AVR (Pioneer VSX-1122) is via an optical (TOSLINK) cable? I wish it were possible to directly connect the F coax cable to the AVR! AVR is connected via HDMI to the HDTV ( Samsung 55UNC6400RFXZA ). This TV has ARC, Samsung calls it ANYNET+(HDMI-CEC)...I've enabled this on the TV and AVR...thanks anyone? ...nevermind my last post...Ive discovered that my TV does NOT have the ARC feature...I have to connect the TV to the ARV via optical (TOSLINK) cable in order to get sound back to the AVR
post #143 of 238 Old 06-21-2012, 05:01 PM

Just got the vsx-822 to replace my Denon AVR-912 that was giving me issues. I was waiting for the avr-713 but it is not released yet in Canada o got this one a n xchange.

Anyhow long story short, everything is hooked up and working ok but I find that my cable STB volume is very low. I had the same issue with my Denon, but once I ran the auddissey calibration, it was fine. With the pioneer, I ran the macc but no change. I have to set the volume to 50 at minimum for normal volume, but when I switch to Internet audio for instance, the volume is blasting and have to switch back to the 20s. Is there a manual adjustment by soyrce somewhere? The interface seems very confusing compared to the Denon and this may go back as well if I cannot figure it out n the next couple days. STB I connected by HDMI by the way.

Thanks!
post #144 of 238 Old 06-21-2012, 09:00 PM

Sorry. I'm a newbie. I'm choosing between VSX-1122-K and VSX-60. So, what the difference between the two AV ? And should I buy?
Looking forward to receiving everyone's help. Thanks
post #145 of 238 Old 06-21-2012, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnoudman View Post

Sorry. I'm a newbie. I'm choosing between VSX-1122-K and VSX-60. So, what the difference between the two AV ? And should I buy?
Looking forward to receiving everyone's help. Thanks

The ELITE has a 2 year warranty, 12V trigger, RS-232 port, and I think maybe a few more connections on the back, plus a higher price. I would just go for the VSX-1122 if it offers what you need. I'm very satisfied with mine.

post #146 of 238 Old 06-22-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlcohen View Post

Been looking at all the specs and back panel pictures on the site.
What's the difference between the SC-1222 & the Elite Sc-61
Besides cosmetics, I can't tell.
I assume you can find the SC-1222 at a deep discount online and not the elite

Warranty is better on the 61 but other than that I think they are the same specs and features. I've seen no discounting on the 1222 so far and doubt if you will.

post #147 of 238 Old 06-22-2012, 08:44 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubertoliver View Post

Warranty is better on the 61 but other than that I think they are the same specs and features. I've seen no discounting on the 1222 so far and doubt if you will.

So why would anybody buy the 1222 over the Elite 61?
post #148 of 238 Old 06-22-2012, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I realize the following quote is from some time back (i think the OP on the first page), but has this been confirmed? I need a fixed analog audio out from any input type (analog, TOSLink, HDMI), many flagship receivers only offer analog (Onkyo) and sometimes TOSLink (Marantz), rarely HDMI. Will the SC-68 be able to deliver this feature or is it still 'wait and see'?

"Zone 2 now downmixes digital inputs to stereo, whereas previously you were restricted to analogue inputs for the second zone. Which is good since there's hardly any analogue inputs left to use anyway, certainly not enough to double up with extra cables from units to get multi-room functionality. With ARC and the new zone 2 digital processing, for once you actually can use a single HDMI lead per machine without losing some of the features."
post #149 of 238 Old 06-22-2012, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcleod View Post

I realize the following quote is from some time back (i think the OP on the first page), but has this been confirmed? I need a fixed analog audio out from any input type (analog, TOSLink, HDMI), many flagship receivers only offer analog (Onkyo) and sometimes TOSLink (Marantz), rarely HDMI. Will the SC-68 be able to deliver this feature or is it still 'wait and see'?

"Zone 2 now downmixes digital inputs to stereo, whereas previously you were restricted to analogue inputs for the second zone. Which is good since there's hardly any analogue inputs left to use anyway, certainly not enough to double up with extra cables from units to get multi-room functionality. With ARC and the new zone 2 digital processing, for once you actually can use a single HDMI lead per machine without losing some of the features."

I think I found the answer to my question in the SC-68 Owners Manual - Page 37

"It is not possible to down-convert the audio and video input signals from the HDMI input terminals, digital input terminals (OPTICAL and COAXIAL) and the COMPONENT VIDEO input terminals and output them to ZONE 2 and ZONE 3."

... Bummer
post #150 of 238 Old 06-24-2012, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Pretty sure I'm going with the SC 63 and putting my vsx 94 up for sale.

Perhaps I misremembered.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page