Pioneer receivers 2012 - VSX-xx22 / SC-xx22 / Elite VSX-6x / Elite SC-6x - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #181 of 238 Old 10-14-2012, 08:33 PM
Member
 
briman1001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sarasota, Florida
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mine was a refurb and I am just about to hit 2 years. I will email but even if they fix it I am selling it an moving on. It is a nice receiver so it is a shame. Would love to know how the digital amps in the SC-1222 sound. $600 is my limit but everyone says the Pioneers are reliable and I would think the digital amps would keep that think running cool.
briman1001 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 238 Old 10-15-2012, 04:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
XStanleyX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Seattle
Posts: 4,690
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1262
Quote:
Originally Posted by briman1001 View Post

Mine was a refurb and I am just about to hit 2 years. I will email but even if they fix it I am selling it an moving on. It is a nice receiver so it is a shame. Would love to know how the digital amps in the SC-1222 sound. $600 is my limit but everyone says the Pioneers are reliable and I would think the digital amps would keep that think running cool.

I bought a new receiver and will give the Onkyo to my son when it gets out of the shop. If you can live with a one year warranty and no 12V trigger on the Pioneer I'd say go for it. Sure can't beat it for the price.
I'm guessing they have a decent return policy if you don't like it. Hope it works out for you.

Denon AVR4311CI
Magnepan 2.7QR's w/ MGCC3 Center
(2) Polk RT15i
(2) Sonotube Subs with 18" Stereo Integrity D4 Drivers
Behringer NU3000 & NU4-6000 Amps
Panasonic DMP-BDP210 - Projector: BenQ W1070
Panamax M5400-PM
60" Samsung TV
WDTV Live & Minix Neo X7
Some audio history: https://skydrive.live.c...
XStanleyX is offline  
post #183 of 238 Old 10-15-2012, 07:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Hi Def Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by briman1001 View Post

Mine was a refurb and I am just about to hit 2 years. I will email but even if they fix it I am selling it an moving on. It is a nice receiver so it is a shame. Would love to know how the digital amps in the SC-1222 sound. $600 is my limit but everyone says the Pioneers are reliable and I would think the digital amps would keep that think running cool.

I've read that of all the D Class amps, Pioneers latest offerings sound the least digital. The discerning ear may still not be happy with how they play music though, so if you play a lot of music and prefer a more analog sound, I wouldn't necessarily go D Class.

If you want it mostly for movies it would be great though, and a 1 yr warranty on a D Class amp is more like the same as 2 yrs on a non D Class Elite model as far as the amp itself goes.
Hi Def Fan is offline  
post #184 of 238 Old 10-15-2012, 07:13 PM
Member
 
fotomatt1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I had a VSX-1021 that died under warranty and Pioneer wasn't able to get parts to fix it. They decided to replace it with a brand new 1122 which I haven't received yet. One of the problems I had with my 1021 was that it seemed to have no power. Even my wife complained about it that she could never hear anything when the air conditioning was on. My normal listening volume on the 1021 was -9db, whereas on my older 816 it was -35 - 50 and it was plenty loud when I wanted it to be. I read many posts where people complained about the 2011 receivers having low volume. Does the 1122 have this issue, or has has that been remedied? I'm a little concerned that I'll receive the 1122 and have the same issue. Any thoughts?

Pioneer VSX-1021
Samsung UN55D7000
fotomatt1 is offline  
post #185 of 238 Old 10-16-2012, 12:54 AM
Senior Member
 
Hi Def Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotomatt1 View Post

Does the 1122 have this issue, or has has that been remedied? I'm a little concerned that I'll receive the 1122 and have the same issue. Any thoughts?

Both have 100 db SNR, 315mV impedance and 90 watts per channel @ 8 Ohm, but the 1122 has 120 vs 110 watts at 1Khz, which is voice frequencies. One might assume that means center channel dialog would sound slightly louder with the 1122, but honestly, it's really hard to expect noticeable volume differences with a slight wattage increase. You have to double wattage just to get a 3db volume increase, which is the least amount of volume difference the human ear can detect.

You may want to turn up the center channel volume some if you haven't. Short answer though, Pioneers have never been too good volume wise, so they don't fare too well in large or noisy spaces. Perhaps if you could mount your air conditioner in a different window it would help.
Hi Def Fan is offline  
post #186 of 238 Old 10-16-2012, 07:15 AM
Member
 
fotomatt1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Def Fan View Post

Both have 100 db SNR, 315mV impedance and 90 watts per channel @ 8 Ohm, but the 1122 has 120 vs 110 watts at 1Khz, which is voice frequencies. One might assume that means center channel dialog would sound slightly louder with the 1122, but honestly, it's really hard to expect noticeable volume differences with a slight wattage increase. You have to double wattage just to get a 3db volume increase, which is the least amount of volume difference the human ear can detect.
You may want to turn up the center channel volume some if you haven't. Short answer though, Pioneers have never been too good volume wise, so they don't fare too well in large or noisy spaces. Perhaps if you could mount your air conditioner in a different window it would help.

Unfortunately I cannot move my AC unit. Why did this change with Pioneer's receivers? My old 816 was plenty loud. How do Denon's compare? Part of me is wondering if I should take the 1122 to Best Buy and see if they'll let me exchange it for something else in the same price range. Pioneer is supposedly sending me a brand new unit in a sealed box.

Pioneer VSX-1021
Samsung UN55D7000
fotomatt1 is offline  
post #187 of 238 Old 10-16-2012, 02:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Hi Def Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotomatt1 View Post

Part of me is wondering if I should take the 1122 to Best Buy and see if they'll let me exchange it for something else in the same price range.

Worth a shot I guess, couldn't hurt to try. Denon is in a bind financially lately due to overextending their product line and vendors they sell through. Many of their AVRs tend to get hot and burn out parts, leaving the customer to pay for repairs if it's out of warranty. Onkyo used to have such problems, but recently redesigned theirs to run much cooler. In that price range you don't get calibration with Onkyo's current models though.

Yamaha has the best reliability and decent volume output, but in that price range Pioneer beats them on audio quality.
Hi Def Fan is offline  
post #188 of 238 Old 10-16-2012, 02:07 PM
Member
 
fotomatt1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Def Fan View Post

Worth a shot I guess, couldn't hurt to try. Denon is in a bind financially lately due to overextending their product line and vendors they sell through. Many of their AVRs tend to get hot and burn out parts, leaving the customer to pay for repairs if it's out of warranty. Onkyo used to have such problems, but recently redesigned theirs to run much cooler. In that price range you don't get calibration with Onkyo's current models though.
Yamaha has the best reliability and decent volume output, but in that price range Pioneer beats them on audio quality.

I'll probably keep the 1122 and hopefully it won't have some of the problems that plagued the 1021. I had been looking at the Yamaha RX-V673 or the A720, but Yamaha doesn't have streaming Pandora built in, so I think I've nixed that one. 1122 seems to be the best value out there.

Pioneer VSX-1021
Samsung UN55D7000
fotomatt1 is offline  
post #189 of 238 Old 10-16-2012, 02:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Hi Def Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotomatt1 View Post

I'll probably keep the 1122 and hopefully it won't have some of the problems that plagued the 1021. I had been looking at the Yamaha RX-V673 or the A720, but Yamaha doesn't have streaming Pandora built in, so I think I've nixed that one. 1122 seems to be the best value out there.

Yeah the only Yam Best Buy has I would have rec trying exchanging it for is the RX-V673, because it's doubtful they'd swap it for an RX-A720. Direct Ethernet streaming doesn't really have much value to me because I'm hooked to a PC and can stream anything I choose. I've found Slacker to be the best.

Hopefully you'll get better volume from the 1122, but I don't want to get your hopes up there. My friend's VSX-822 I set up has to be turned up a lot louder than my Yam RX-V371, and we have pretty small apts.

If you're not happy with the 1122 and want to upgrade, I've read a lot of good things about the Yamaha RX-A1010, which can be had as low as $600 at Best Buys that have a Magnolia Home Theater division in store. Those have Pandora (and tons of other features) and sound way better than their lower priced models.

It's hard if not impossible to find any Best Buy MHT stores with RX-A1010s still in stock though. The next ones to look for at that price range would be the RX-A1020, but Best Buy MHT probably won't have them at $600 until spring or summer next year. They just came out Aug this year.
Hi Def Fan is offline  
post #190 of 238 Old 10-17-2012, 11:23 AM
Member
 
evident's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone with the SC1222-K? I've had mine for 2 weeks and have been thrilled so far.
evident is offline  
post #191 of 238 Old 10-17-2012, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
chucky08016's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 708
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by evident View Post

Anyone with the SC1222-K? I've had mine for 2 weeks and have been thrilled so far.

Just received mine yesterday and connected today. LOVING that I was able to get rid of 70% of the cabling now that everything is connected via HDMI. Really easy to setup via AVNavigator. So far sounds the same as the Sony STR-DG1000 that it's replacing.

The one thing that I do not like is that I haven't found a way to disable the xover for the speakers. The lowest setting is 50hz but my speakers can play WAY LOWER than that. Maybe I'm missing something.
chucky08016 is offline  
post #192 of 238 Old 10-18-2012, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
adrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 880
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by evident View Post

Anyone with the SC1222-K? I've had mine for 2 weeks and have been thrilled so far.

I couldn't pass up the newegg deal. Mine is out for delivery today, but will have to wait for the weekend for setup.
adrman is offline  
post #193 of 238 Old 10-18-2012, 08:08 AM
Member
 
evident's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrman View Post

I couldn't pass up the newegg deal. Mine is out for delivery today, but will have to wait for the weekend for setup.


yeah, I had the option of a $450 refurb 1121K vs a brand new SC1222K for $600. I think the class D amps will be able to drive speakers better, but the tradeoff is you lose THX certification and audyssey vs advanced MCACC. I "believe" everything else is pretty equal to the 1121K. It's also made in malaysia as opposed to china, which makes me feel like this is pretty close to what the 1121K was as far as price/performance goes for this year's lineup.

Also as all of you probably already know, dont bother buying the $100 wireless adapter dongle for this thing. I just got a "Trendnet Wireless gaming adapter" for 25 bucks and connected it via ethernet to the receiver and it's been flawless.
evident is offline  
post #194 of 238 Old 10-18-2012, 09:47 AM
Senior Member
 
Hi Def Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky08016 View Post

The one thing that I do not like is that I haven't found a way to disable the xover for the speakers. The lowest setting is 50hz but my speakers can play WAY LOWER than that. Maybe I'm missing something.

If you're talking about the sub crossover (usually the only adjustable one), that's a low pass filter that determines at which frequencies the sub bass tones will be sent to the sub. It's a form of bass management that sends anything below that to the sub. I find it's best left set to what MCACC calibrates it to. MCACC does a better job than some give it credit for.
Hi Def Fan is offline  
post #195 of 238 Old 10-22-2012, 03:41 AM
Advanced Member
 
hyghwayman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Earth 4 now
Posts: 515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
^^
+1

Just my 2¢ - take it or leave it for others

 

 

Halo ® 3 Beta Tester, Reach ® Beta Tester, COD ® 4 Beta Tester
XboxLive GT - hyghwayman
hyghwayman is offline  
post #196 of 238 Old 10-22-2012, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member
 
chucky08016's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 708
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Def Fan View Post

If you're talking about the sub crossover (usually the only adjustable one), that's a low pass filter that determines at which frequencies the sub bass tones will be sent to the sub. It's a form of bass management that sends anything below that to the sub. I find it's best left set to what MCACC calibrates it to. MCACC does a better job than some give it credit for.

Gotcha, thanks for the info!!
chucky08016 is offline  
post #197 of 238 Old 10-23-2012, 11:57 AM
Member
 
bleumax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Recently picked up the SC-1222K from newegg. I've had the darndest time getting the surround speakers to work? I know that the wiring is correct since there's volume when I'm in setup mode. I've tried different settings, such as extended stereo, action, etc. and I can't get it to work. Any advice?

Also, for those of you that have purchased this model, have you had any HDMI handshake issues? I have this issue when using HDMI with my set top box, so I switched to component cables and it seems to work. However, I do periodically have the handshake issue when I turned on my projector for the 1st time. After I unplug and plug the HDMI cable, it seems fine.
bleumax is offline  
post #198 of 238 Old 10-25-2012, 02:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Hi Def Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
@bleumax,
For surround, try hitting Receiver, then Auto Surround on the remote.

Pioneer DOES seriously need to improve their display and menu navigation though, it's pitiful. The one thing that redeems them on that regard is using their AV Navigator app. I highly recommend it if you haven't.
Hi Def Fan is offline  
post #199 of 238 Old 10-25-2012, 07:14 PM
Newbie
 
nunyabiziz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If someone could please give me their 25cents on the Pioneer SC-1522 on sale for $999 or SC-67 for around $1300. Which one would be a better deal at the current price mark? TIA.
nunyabiziz is offline  
post #200 of 238 Old 10-27-2012, 01:53 PM
Member
 
bleumax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Def Fan View Post

@bleumax,
For surround, try hitting Receiver, then Auto Surround on the remote.
Pioneer DOES seriously need to improve their display and menu navigation though, it's pitiful. The one thing that redeems them on that regard is using their AV Navigator app. I highly recommend it if you haven't.

Thanks Hi Def Fan. The surround is working when I play a DVD, but the volume is very low on the surrounds even after adjusting the channel levels.

The HDMI handshake issues are driving me nuts. Every time I turn on my receiver, I get static and an intermittent signal until I unplug and plug the HDMI cable back in. I've tried 4 or 5 HDMI cables with the same result. The unit is also flashing a HDCP Error warning now.

I'm hoping that I just got a dud and I have submitted for a replacement from New Egg.
bleumax is offline  
post #201 of 238 Old 10-27-2012, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Any sc-6x owners have a pic of the osd?
winston9332 is offline  
post #202 of 238 Old 10-27-2012, 04:02 PM
Senior Member
 
lirong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 425
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all I have a question related to picture quality through these receivers.

I currently have a Pioneer VSX 1014TX that I have been pretty happy with. I dont know how much of an upgrade any of these would be over that receiver and wasnt thinking of upgrading.

But the 1014 doesnt have HDMI output. So if I want to run the vidoe through it into my new Plasma I cant do it.

The question is, from a PQ perspective, would I even want to do this? Do you get better PQ running the components directly into the plasma, or would it be just as good if I run them through the Pioneer receiver (assuming I upgraded to one that can handle HDMI).

Any guidance?

Thanks.
lirong is offline  
post #203 of 238 Old 10-29-2012, 05:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Hi Def Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lirong View Post

Do you get better PQ running the components directly into the plasma, or would it be just as good if I run them through the Pioneer receiver (assuming I upgraded to one that can handle HDMI).

What "components" are you hooking up to the AVR and TV? It can depend. For instance if you have an AVR that does video upscaling, esp something as good as Marvell's QDeo, you'd want to hook a Cable or Sat box to the receiver vs TV, to get video upscaling on 480i channels. The same would be true for a Wii, since the original model only outputs 480p.

Something like a gaming PC or current gen xbox or PS though would probably be best connected straight to the TV, to help minimize input lag.

Any Blu-ray device you'll want to hook to the receiver and let the AVR pass through the video signal to the TV. Some AVRs can even pass through 3D content to TVs that are 3D capable.
Hi Def Fan is offline  
post #204 of 238 Old 11-09-2012, 11:12 AM
Member
 
FTracy3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyabiziz View Post

If someone could please give me their 25cents on the Pioneer SC-1522 on sale for $999 or SC-67 for around $1300. Which one would be a better deal at the current price mark? TIA.
I'd be interested in a head to head recommendation here as well. Have always gone with the elites but other than they look pretty and have a better warranty I don't necessarily see an advantage.
FTracy3 is offline  
post #205 of 238 Old 11-09-2012, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kini62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 2,925
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyabiziz View Post

If someone could please give me their 25cents on the Pioneer SC-1522 on sale for $999 or SC-67 for around $1300. Which one would be a better deal at the current price mark? TIA.

Where is the 1522 on sale for $999?

Thanks

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
Kini62 is offline  
post #206 of 238 Old 11-11-2012, 12:17 PM
Newbie
 
Mikeg112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,
I'm thinking of getting the VSX-42 Pioneer Elite. For video processing, I have a Anchor Bay DVDO VP50pro, but would rather bring it to the Master Bedroom for a video processor. Does anyone know what Anchor Bay chip is used for video processing in the VSX-42?

Main sources I would use the video conversion is DVD at HDMI 480i out, and a TiVo Premiere for 480,720.1080i out. Output is 1080P going to a Panasonic 42GT25. Blu-ray is no video processing.
Mikeg112 is offline  
post #207 of 238 Old 11-15-2012, 03:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Hi Def Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you want noticeable video upscaling, go with something at least Marvell QDeo level. The VSX-60 has it.
Hi Def Fan is offline  
post #208 of 238 Old 11-15-2012, 04:09 PM
Newbie
 
nunyabiziz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Newegg currently has the 1522 for that price.
nunyabiziz is offline  
post #209 of 238 Old 11-21-2012, 03:21 PM
Member
 
grandmaison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there an official SC-1222-K user thread? I will soon own one but can't see an official thread for the unit.
grandmaison is offline  
post #210 of 238 Old 11-25-2012, 12:13 PM
Member
 
ganzhimself's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is there a way to "disable" inputs on the VSX-822k? I "upgraded" from the 2009 model vsx-1019ah where I could effectively turn off the inputs I wasn't using. I only have 4 HDMI devices attached and there are a ton of inputs that this thing supports that I don't use and don't want to have to scroll through. I could set my remote up to assign inputs to different buttons, but that's only half solving my issues.
ganzhimself is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off