Best SQ AVR with set up mic - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 02-07-2012, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello

I am looking at the best 7 channel AVR sound quality wise with set up mic. Volume/output is not a huge concern as long as it is clean. It must support DTS-HD and DD-HD. Video switching is not important. So what is the recommendation around 700-1000?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-07-2012, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Plz let me add that I also would like native pandora playback & HD radio....

I am wondering does the H/K AVR 3600 do all that? http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-.../dp/B002IKKFUA

any better options for the money? What about marantz 5006?

thanks
post #3 of 11 Old 02-07-2012, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Start looking at the Denon and onkyos for audyssey room correction receivers. They are quite affordable. If you need exclusive room correction, both Yamaha and pioneer have really good receivers with proprietary room correction systems.

Would help if you had a budget for the avr.
post #4 of 11 Old 02-07-2012, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

As stated in my first post.. my budget for the AVR is $700-1000... But I would feel really good if it under $600 ....
post #5 of 11 Old 02-08-2012, 06:53 AM

Liked: 25
The HK 3600 does all except Pandora or network streaming. Imho however, it would be the best sounding. You could also look at the HK 3650 which adds streaming and Pandora I believe.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-08-2012, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

I am seriously thinking of the marantz 6006. What is the general consensus SQ wise? Reliability?
post #7 of 11 Old 02-08-2012, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Might as well consider a denon 3312. You can call an authorized dealer and pick it up within your budget. It's got more power and more video inputs.
post #8 of 11 Old 02-09-2012, 04:32 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I have taken a look at the denon 3312 and although it sounded nice; it felt more flimsy especially compared to the onkoyo 809 & marantz 6006. I also have concerns on ease of use. And the remote is awful for the denon.

From a needs stand point. The marantz and denon fill them the best. But from size/power the 809 fits them the best. But the onkoyo needs extra hd radio tuner. So it will cost little more as the other 2 units.

Overal, the marantz feels like the best buy for me. My only concern is about marantz reliability... Any opinions?
post #9 of 11 Old 02-10-2012, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Any other opinions; I plan on purchasing today.
post #10 of 11 Old 02-10-2012, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkoko View Post

Any other opinions; I plan on purchasing today.

There is always an Anthem MRX 300, with Anthem Room Correction. Hard to beat with excellent amp sections and great room correction.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #11 of 11 Old 02-10-2012, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

There is always an Anthem MRX 300, with Anthem Room Correction. Hard to beat with excellent amp sections and great room correction.
John

Propaganda aside, the Anthem's amps are absolutely nothing special. (And before you come back with "my MRX 500 drives my speakers just as well as my previous Denon 4310/Emotiva setup," all that really says is that the Emo amp was superfluous in your previous system.)

Now, there's nothing wrong with with the Anthem's amps at all. But nothing special or unique about them, either, at this price or any other. They're just standard commodity parts. They are class AB units, which means they produce more heat compared to their power output - i.e. they're less energy-efficient - than modern class D amps.

The only potential, theoretical sonic issue with them is that they might have higher zero-crossing distortion than a class AB chipamp, because they use discrete parts and will not by the nature of the beast be matched as well as the equivalent parts inside a single chip will be. But I can't say I've ever heard anything objectionable from mine. Yet, at least. I hope my tune doesn't change when I put mine with my reference speakers, which are a solid 10dB/W/m more efficient than the ones currently in use...

That said, having surveyed the market recently (and not being inclined to spend more than a grand because my previous AVR cost double that and only lasted three years), the MRX 300 was my choice. ARC is IMO well worth the premium, and unlike amps room correction systems actually make a sonic difference. Even though with an Anthem box one has to deal with the silliness of uninformed "audiophiles" thinking that various component parts of it are better because Anthem is a "high end" brand and their ad copy asserts so. (Reviews say so too, but reviews tend to parrot ad copy. The measured performance of them has been shown to be adequate but unexceptional.) The software is excellent, though it would be better if it were OSX compatible. The included measurement equipment itself is a cut above anything offered by anyone else.

My criteria were different from the OP's, though, in that I paid no consideration to radio or internet streaming features. (In truth, the only things that mattered to me were room correction software and warranty.) My last AVR had HD Radio and I never used it, and I get streaming audio from external sources. The MRX 300 does not have either feature. So if they are very important, it's not the right box for the OP.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page