Onkyo with side and rear surrounds - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-08-2012, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi!

I have an Onkyo NR5007 receiver and currently have it wired as 5.1. For the rears, I have the speakers set on the side, like the manual says. I'd like to add two speakers for "behind" the listening area for more fill. Right now, the side speakers sound more like on the side, than surrounds.

My thinking is that if I add a "back left" and "back right" speaker to the setup, I will get more rear fill. However, will the receiver use these two speakers, in addition to the ones on the side? I think it will, but after going through the manual, it sounds like it might not.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-08-2012, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz561 View Post

Hi!

I have an Onkyo NR5007 receiver and currently have it wired as 5.1. For the rears, I have the speakers set on the side, like the manual says. I'd like to add two speakers for "behind" the listening area for more fill. Right now, the side speakers sound more like on the side, than surrounds.

My thinking is that if I add a "back left" and "back right" speaker to the setup, I will get more rear fill. However, will the receiver use these two speakers, in addition to the ones on the side? I think it will, but after going through the manual, it sounds like it might not.

Thanks!

Your 5007 will work when the speakers are properly connected for 7.1 sound. Just connect the surround L&R speakers to the proper binding posts and place them roughly 90 degrees to your main listening position. Then connect the L&R surround back speakers to their corresponding binding posts, placing them to the rear of your main listening position. There is a diagram in the 5007 owners manual that will give you the basics.

When you're finished all that you'll need to do is to select the 7.1 listening mode that you prefer, then sit back and enjoy. But don't forget to perform the Audyssey setup proceedure correctly in order to get the best out of your HT. Reference the Audyssey thread for the setup guide (found at the beginning) and follow the steps closely.

Cheers,
SB
post #3 of 4 Old 02-08-2012, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks for the information. I looked at the manual, and it was a little confusing because in the one picture, it just shows the sides and not the back. Then in the next picture, you see every speaker imaginable. It kind of made it sound like if the sides were connected, the backs won't work.

Thanks!!!
post #4 of 4 Old 02-08-2012, 08:07 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1011 Post(s)
Liked: 1505
Note that in a 5.1 setup, the surround speakers are ideally placed to the "sides" and are "side surrounds", not rear surrounds. It's only in a 7.1 setup that you actually place the additional speakers behind you. Our ears are designed to hear much better what is forward or to our sides then what is behind us which is why Audyssey recommends adding the 2 additional speakers with priority first given to Front Wides, then Front Heights, and lastly rear surrounds.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page