Choices for 3 or 5 channel amp under $1k? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 02-08-2012, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
AC2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NB, Canada
Posts: 340
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hi - looking to buy a 3 (most likely) or 5-channel power amp, at least 150WPC and keep it under $1k.

Based on my searching, looks like Emotiva is about the only one that fits the bill if buying new.

What other choices might there be?

I love it when a [HT] plan comes together!
AC2011 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 02-08-2012, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
jjackkrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 571
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Three outlaw mono blocks would be pretty close to your budget and get you 200w per channel.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/2200.html
jjackkrash is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 02-08-2012, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cmryan821's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 1,008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2011 View Post

Hi - looking to buy a 3 (most likely) or 5-channel power amp, at least 150WPC and keep it under $1k.

Based on my searching, looks like Emotiva is about the only one that fits the bill if buying new.

What other choices might there be?

What speakers are you using and how loud do you listen? Is your receiver not cutting it or do you just want some new gear(not that there's anything wrong with that)? If your receiver really isn't supplying enough power then it's not likely that 150wpc will provide a great improvement.
cmryan821 is offline  
post #4 of 7 Old 02-08-2012, 08:00 PM
Senior Member
 
johnson636's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 310
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you don't mind the look of pro amps, they offer lots of power at very reasonable prices. QSC, Peavey, Crown, and Crest are mentioned across different threads as be very respectable and trusted Brands. Or, you could just go with Emo's.
johnson636 is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 02-09-2012, 04:31 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
AC2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NB, Canada
Posts: 340
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmryan821 View Post

What speakers are you using and how loud do you listen? Is your receiver not cutting it or do you just want some new gear(not that there's anything wrong with that)? If your receiver really isn't supplying enough power then it's not likely that 150wpc will provide a great improvement.


My front soundstage is Boston Acoustics CS226 mains and CS225C center. Mains rated for up to 250W, center for 175W.

Don't listen at reference levels, but fair sized room (about 3,100 cubic feet). Everything sounds okay, but running 7.1 off a Yamaha RX-A800 (rated 95WPC), so thinking taking some of the load off the Yammie might make it all sound better, plus extend the life of the AVR.

Plus, I do love new gear

I love it when a [HT] plan comes together!
AC2011 is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 02-09-2012, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
AC2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NB, Canada
Posts: 340
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
bump

I love it when a [HT] plan comes together!
AC2011 is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 02-13-2012, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cmryan821's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 1,008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2011 View Post

My front soundstage is Boston Acoustics CS226 mains and CS225C center. Mains rated for up to 250W, center for 175W.

Don't listen at reference levels, but fair sized room (about 3,100 cubic feet). Everything sounds okay, but running 7.1 off a Yamaha RX-A800 (rated 95WPC), so thinking taking some of the load off the Yammie might make it all sound better, plus extend the life of the AVR.

Plus, I do love new gear

To be honest, I think you should save up to get better speakers if you want a real improvement in sound quality. Additional amplification only results in better sound if your current listening levels are clipping your current amp. And since you don't listen at reference levels then I think it would be best to just save your money for now. I realize you may just want to upgrade something but it's not wise to put much more money into your electronics than your speakers.

All that said, if you still want an additional amp then look at the outlaw 2200 or emotiva xpa3. If you don't mind giving pro amps a try, give the crown xls1000 or qsc gx3 a look. If you don't mind used gear, then check out audiogon or videogon. Plenty of decent stuff there. Best of luck.
cmryan821 is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off