Need advice on new ~$1.5-3k receiver or preamp/pro that can compete with Oppo BDP-95 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 02-09-2012, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was so excited about my next upgrade, an Oppo BDP-95. I have read all the reviews of how great the DAC and analog output section is and was prepared to pull the trigger and settle into sonic (and video) bliss. It seemed to be the most cost-effective upgrade for my system. That is, until I "luckily" realized that an Oppo BDP-95 would cause a ton of frustration and headaches for my system.

Why? #1: Bass Management #2: My system pre/pro is an 8-year old Yamaha RX-V2400 receiver (that does have a dedicated 7 ch discrete analog input but DOES NOT apply a 10dB LFE correction and DOES NOT give the option of adjusting LFE levels for individual sources (i.e. crank up the level on the actual sub and lower the speaker levels for digital sources). So, the Oppo BDP-95 is nothing but a pipe dream that cannot be used in my very obsolete system at this time. I have a 5.1 satellite/sub system, so I have to use bass management. I have also read that while performance out of the Oppo BDP-95's non-sw channels have excellent (best-in-class) performance, that the performance from the BDP-95's handling of the SW channel is severely lacking in depth, detail, and level, even if properly calibrated. I'm thinking a fully loaded BMW X-5 with 4WD but fitted with bald tires and trying to run in the snow!!

What I'm looking for: A good quality receiver or separate dedicated pre/pro that performs all the latest surround formats well, but that specifically sounds good for music (most of my full and high rez music will be listened to in 2.1 mode).

Unfortunately, I've heard that almost all receivers have progressively sacrificed amps/pre-amp/analog stage, power supply performance over the years to cram in tons of features and formats. I'm willing to spend up to $3k (range of $1.5-$3k) for either a well-built high quality receiver or separate pre-pro that is also a noticeable sound quality upgrade in the DAC, analog output/pre-amp as compared to the Yamaha RX-V2400. I would like something as close as possible to the performance of the BDP-95. If the performance is not noticeably better than RX-V2400 (wrt to DAC, analog output to amp for 2.1 music), then it is a waste of money for me.

For example, I have read somewhere that a Marantz AV7005 was decent with music (not sure how good), but that the corresponding pre-pro from Onkyo/Integra was excellent with HT but was severely lacking with music. The most I could afford would be something at the price of the NAD T187 but have no idea how that performs with music (DACs, analog output stage, etc.) or what other musical alternatives are.

If the Marantz is so good, I would consider a Marantz + Oppo 95, but my understanding is the Oppo 95 really shines if used in dedicated 2 ch playback with large full range speakers. I have read that bass played through it's SW output is lacking in many ways, which is very disappointing, given how highly reviewed that player was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-09-2012, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

I'm sure a Cary Audio Design Cinema 12 would fit the bill sonically, but I cannot even hope to afford or be even be willing to pay for such a thing.
post #3 of 18 Old 02-09-2012, 09:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by xirtam2005 View Post

I have also read that while performance out of the Oppo BDP-95's non-sw channels have excellent (best-in-class) performance, that the performance from the BDP-95's handling of the SW channel is severely lacking in depth, detail, and level, even if properly calibrated.

Where did you see this? I quite disagree but I use the processors bass management and not the Oppos. I use it with my Meridian Reference 861v6 and, currently, with a Bryston SP3 that I am evaluating and it is not outclassed.

Quote:

For example, I have read somewhere that a Marantz AV7005 was decent with music (not sure how good), but that the corresponding pre-pro from Onkyo/Integra was excellent with HT but was severely lacking with music.

Again, I disagree.

The Marantz and the Integra should be seriously considered. I chose the Integra but the Marantz has its proponents. I have not tried the NAD nor can I comment on how they compare to your Yamaha.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 Old 02-09-2012, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I have the BDP-83 and the 95 is a big step up and I don't know where you read the bass is lacking or below par but it is not and owners that have one will tell you it does not and the reviewers with proper setup have gave it a thumbs up. You have to remember there is a lot of bias in threads people get upset when their brands faultier
or simply overpriced for the performance and will post negative comments without actually ever owning said gear.
I would give the Integra pre-pro a hard look my boss has one and he is very picky about audio especially since he listens to classical.
post #5 of 18 Old 02-09-2012, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

When I'm talking about the Oppo BDP-95's bass, I'm talking solely about using it's 7.1 (or 5.1 in my case) analog out to a receiver or pre/pro's discrete multichannel input. In that case, bass management is performed in the Oppo and not the pre/pro. Using HDMI out from Oppo is fine or using analog out for large stereo speakers is probably fine. I'm talking about using the Oppo's analog out and internal bass management, where the Oppo transmits the analog line level out of the SW at -15dB compared to 0dB of the other 5-7 channels.

I think you can adjust +-10dB on the outlet of the Oppo (I'm not certain), so the only thing I can possibly think of is setting all other speakers to -10dB and setting the SW out to +5dB on the Oppo and just raising the volume more on the Yamaha. Can that be done? Would it work, and if so, would lowering the non-SW channels by 10dB reduce sound quality/increase noise floor (i.e. defeat the purpose of buying the player)?
post #6 of 18 Old 02-09-2012, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
The problem with those "I heard..." stories is, that they are very subjective and usually based on "rumours", sometimes unfounded somtimes true, but often slanted or false.
If i were you (which i am not ) i would try to listen to those components yourself, you are interested in, to get to judge them by your own taste and preferences. You might still read through the different threads here to get a feeling for what you probably like best.
I have "heard" to the contrary , that the latest generation of the Onkyos, i.e. (5509 / 5009 and 3009) have improved significantly in their "pure" stereo performance, being now one of the best around, while still keeping their excellent HT performance. They compete directly with the new Yamaha RX-A3010 AVR, whilst the Marantz seems to be still lacking in HT features and formats.
A significant portion of the usablity factor of currents components go to their EQ "tuning" systems, like Audyssey MultEQ XT32 / MCACC / YPAO, which allow to tame a listening rooms (and speakers position) worst problems.
post #7 of 18 Old 02-10-2012, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When I'm talking about the Oppo BDP-95's bass, I'm talking solely about using it's 7.1 (or 5.1 in my case) analog out to a receiver or pre/pro's discrete multichannel input. In that case, bass management is performed in the Oppo and not the pre/pro. Using HDMI out from Oppo is fine or using analog out for large stereo speakers is probably fine. I'm talking about using the Oppo's analog out and internal bass management, where the Oppo transmits the analog line level out of the SW at -15dB compared to 0dB of the other 5-7 channels.

I think you can adjust +-10dB on the outlet of the Oppo (I'm not certain), so the only thing I can possibly think of is setting all other speakers to -10dB and setting the SW out to +5dB on the Oppo and just raising the volume more on the Yamaha. Can that be done? Would it work, and if so, would lowering the non-SW channels by 10dB reduce sound quality/increase noise floor (i.e. defeat the purpose of buying the player)?

I am using the 5.1 out as my rec is to old and no the bass is not attenuated 10db if it was I would not be running -7db at the rec to level match.
post #8 of 18 Old 02-10-2012, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Check the features of the Cambridge 650R receiver and see if that will do what you want; I think it will do the trick. It sounds like it was designed with you in mind...lol.

It has the best-sounding amplifiers and biggest power supply (1400 watts) of any AV receiver I know of and is designed with very heavy attention to AUDIO quality and features (about 10 different audio processing modes).

It is rated for 100 watts per channel with all 7 channels driven, and for 5.1 or less channels is set up to BI-AMP the front 2 channels which gives them 220 watts per channel and the other three channels 100 watts each.

$1599 on Amazon or a couple of other retailers.

Quote:

I was so excited about my next upgrade, an Oppo BDP-95. I have read all the reviews of how great the DAC and analog output section is and was prepared to pull the trigger and settle into sonic (and video) bliss. It seemed to be the most cost-effective upgrade for my system. That is, until I "luckily" realized that an Oppo BDP-95 would cause a ton of frustration and headaches for my system.

Why? #1: Bass Management #2: My system pre/pro is an 8-year old Yamaha RX-V2400 receiver (that does have a dedicated 7 ch discrete analog input but DOES NOT apply a 10dB LFE correction and DOES NOT give the option of adjusting LFE levels for individual sources (i.e. crank up the level on the actual sub and lower the speaker levels for digital sources). So, the Oppo BDP-95 is nothing but a pipe dream that cannot be used in my very obsolete system at this time. I have a 5.1 satellite/sub system, so I have to use bass management. I have also read that while performance out of the Oppo BDP-95's non-sw channels have excellent (best-in-class) performance, that the performance from the BDP-95's handling of the SW channel is severely lacking in depth, detail, and level, even if properly calibrated. I'm thinking a fully loaded BMW X-5 with 4WD but fitted with bald tires and trying to run in the snow!!

What I'm looking for: A good quality receiver or separate dedicated pre/pro that performs all the latest surround formats well, but that specifically sounds good for music (most of my full and high rez music will be listened to in 2.1 mode).

Unfortunately, I've heard that almost all receivers have progressively sacrificed amps/pre-amp/analog stage, power supply performance over the years to cram in tons of features and formats. I'm willing to spend up to $3k (range of $1.5-$3k) for either a well-built high quality receiver or separate pre-pro that is also a noticeable sound quality upgrade in the DAC, analog output/pre-amp as compared to the Yamaha RX-V2400. I would like something as close as possible to the performance of the BDP-95. If the performance is not noticeably better than RX-V2400 (wrt to DAC, analog output to amp for 2.1 music), then it is a waste of money for me.

For example, I have read somewhere that a Marantz AV7005 was decent with music (not sure how good), but that the corresponding pre-pro from Onkyo/Integra was excellent with HT but was severely lacking with music. The most I could afford would be something at the price of the NAD T187 but have no idea how that performs with music (DACs, analog output stage, etc.) or what other musical alternatives are.

If the Marantz is so good, I would consider a Marantz + Oppo 95, but my understanding is the Oppo 95 really shines if used in dedicated 2 ch playback with large full range speakers. I have read that bass played through it's SW output is lacking in many ways, which is very disappointing, given how highly reviewed that player was.

post #9 of 18 Old 02-10-2012, 07:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Where are you getting all this nonsense? By ear and by measurement, the SW analog output is not attenuated or inadequate.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 18 Old 02-10-2012, 07:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkey View Post

The problem with those "I heard..." stories is, that they are very subjective and usually based on "rumours", sometimes unfounded somtimes true, but often slanted or false.

The problem is knowing the reliability of the source of these comments, especially if they are unidentified. One can find almost any opinion somewhere on the Internet.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #11 of 18 Old 02-10-2012, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

What I'm mostly referring to is the way the analog SW signal is handled by receivers from the discrete input. LFE is recorded as -10dB compared to the other channels (I have read that is industry standard), and the pre/pro/receiver, whatever is supposed to apply the +10dB correction.

Using the analog out of the Oppo should be fine with a NEWER receiver that applies the +10dB correction on the SW discrete input. My 2004 vintage Yamaha RX-V2400 DOES NOT apply the +10dB correction. So the Oppo (or any blu-ray player with multichannel outs) would have the -10dB attenuation, and the receiver pre/pro should boost the signal by +10dB to the sub.

So, if you're pairing the Oppo's multichannel outs to a NEWER receiver that properly applies the correction, then it'll sound fine. My older receiver does not do this. I believe this was commonly referred to as the "LFE bug" several years ago, when most receivers didn't apply this correction.
post #12 of 18 Old 02-10-2012, 09:21 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 880
Quote:

What I'm mostly referring to is the way the analog SW signal is handled by receivers from the discrete input. LFE is recorded as -10dB compared to the other channels (I have read that is industry standard), and the pre/pro/receiver, whatever is supposed to apply the +10dB correction.

Using the analog out of the Oppo should be fine with a NEWER receiver that applies the +10dB correction on the SW discrete input. My 2004 vintage Yamaha RX-V2400 DOES NOT apply the +10dB correction. So the Oppo (or any blu-ray player with multichannel outs) would have the -10dB attenuation, and the receiver pre/pro should boost the signal by +10dB to the sub.

So, if you're pairing the Oppo's multichannel outs to a NEWER receiver that properly applies the correction, then it'll sound fine. My older receiver does not do this. I believe this was commonly referred to as the "LFE bug" several years ago, when most receivers didn't apply this correction.

There is no "bug" here. The problem is you haven't understood how to set up your system properly -- a pretty common situation.

If your current preamp does not provide all, or any part of, the necessary boost on the Analog LFE channel the fix is simple. Raise the volume knob on your subwoofer. How much? Simple again. Get a decent audio calibration disc and use the test tones on it to do your setup.

I recommend using the LPCM test tracks on "AIX Audio Calibration', Blu-ray:

http://aixrecords.com/catalog/bd/oppo_sampler_bd.html

It is also very helpful to use an SPL (sound pressure level) meter while doing this as setting bass levels by ear alone is not easy.

The Analog subwoofer output of the Oppo needs a total of +15dB boost regardless of what you are playing or how you have the speakers set up in the Oppo. This boost should be applied external to the player. Again, this is not a bug. This is "normal".

For now, you can do all of that using the volume knob on your sub. If you eventually get a new AVR that provides LFE boost you will discover that although +10dB boost is the usual default, some AVRs will also offer the option of +15dB. Regardless of which you get, you simply adjust the volume knob on your sub to account for any additional boost needed.

If you are running BOTH Analog from the Oppo AND any digital audio sources, then you simply lower the subwoofer output volume trim in the AVR for your digital sources to compensate for any raising of the volume knob on the sub you had to do to get the Analog audio configuration correct. Voila! Everything works.
--Bob

. -- Need personal consultation/training?
post #13 of 18 Old 02-10-2012, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Can you provide a link other than a forum member where it says the output is 10db attenuated on the analog output.
post #14 of 18 Old 02-10-2012, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 256
The Cambridge 650R receiver.
post #15 of 18 Old 02-10-2012, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

There is no "bug" here. The problem is you haven't understood how to set up your system properly -- a pretty common situation.

If your current preamp does not provide all, or any part of, the necessary boost on the Analog LFE channel the fix is simple. Raise the volume knob on your subwoofer. How much? Simple again. Get a decent audio calibration disc and use the test tones on it to do your setup.

I recommend using the LPCM test tracks on "AIX Audio Calibration', Blu-ray:

http://aixrecords.com/catalog/bd/oppo_sampler_bd.html

It is also very helpful to use an SPL (sound pressure level) meter while doing this as setting bass levels by ear alone is not easy.

Thanks for the suggestion. How much do SPL's cost? I've had no problem calibrating other channels, but I've had a hard time getting the sub just right.

The Analog subwoofer output of the Oppo needs a total of +15dB boost regardless of what you are playing or how you have the speakers set up in the Oppo. This boost should be applied external to the player. Again, this is not a bug. This is "normal".

I agree and know that this is normal to prevent clipping on the SW input to the preamp/pro during high impact LFE events. The "bug" was just a common name for older receivers not having a +10 or +15db option.

For now, you can do all of that using the volume knob on your sub. If you eventually get a new AVR that provides LFE boost you will discover that although +10dB boost is the usual default, some AVRs will also offer the option of +15dB. Regardless of which you get, you simply adjust the volume knob on your sub to account for any additional boost needed.

Having problems finding a new AVR with good SQ. If I can get the Oppo to work, I really have no need for a new AVR. Do must subs have a +15dB boost? Mine has a volume, but I'm not sure what the max gain is. I have a Paradigm Seismic 110 that I'm very happy with.

If you are running BOTH Analog from the Oppo AND any digital audio sources, then you simply lower the subwoofer output volume trim in the AVR for your digital sources to compensate for any raising of the volume knob on the sub you had to do to get the Analog audio configuration correct. Voila! Everything works.

Ah! Now, that's the part that I've been missing. Not sure if the RX-V2400 will let me go -15dB though, I think most receivers only allow -10dB, but I may be wrong.
--Bob

In any case, how is the analog bass quality using the Oppo when calibrated properly? Is it good, tight bass? I've read that the Oppo's crossover is not as steep as most receivers with THX certification (such as the Yamaha), so I'm not sure how that will affect things.

If I can get the Oppo to work, this would be much cheaper than getting a new AVR with likely (hopefully) better sonic results.
post #16 of 18 Old 02-11-2012, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

I looked at the capabilities of both my receiver and the sub. My sub has a line level volume switch, that I assume can go at least +10dB (but cannot find the specs to see what it actually is).

Unfortunately, my receiver can only adjust -10dB on the sub for sources that the receiver performs bass management and level adjustments.

So, I have come up with the following 3 options that (hopefully) will enable me to add an Oppo BPD-95 to my system:

For all 3 cases, I will adjust the receiver SW level by -10dB (which will apply to all sources other than the Oppo 95's analog input).

1) Increase volume level on the sub by + 10dB. Keep Oppo SW output at 0db (which is -15dB compared to the other 5 channels) and adjust the other 5 channels to -5dB on the Oppo (so I will just have to turn up the receiver by 5dB to get the same volume for that source).

2) Increase volume level on the sub by +10dB. Increase Oppo SW output to +5dB and keep the other channels on the Oppo at 0dB.

3) Increase volume level on the sub by +15dB. Keep all Oppo levels to 0dB. Increase all non-SW channels on the receiver (affecting all other sources except the Oppo) to +5dB.

Which, if any, do you think will work best? I would appreciate any and all comments, including detailed technical critiques, so I can increase my understanding of the issue.
post #17 of 18 Old 02-11-2012, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The Integras are awesome receivers in every way, music and HT use, very clean and natural sounding. For 1.5K you can get the 50.3 for 3K you can get the 70.3 or 80.3.

Jeff
post #18 of 18 Old 02-11-2012, 06:57 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 880
Quote:

In any case, how is the analog bass quality using the Oppo when calibrated properly? Is it good, tight bass? I've read that the Oppo's crossover is not as steep as most receivers with THX certification (such as the Yamaha), so I'm not sure how that will affect things.

If I can get the Oppo to work, this would be much cheaper than getting a new AVR with likely (hopefully) better sonic results.

I suggest you ask these questions in the BDP-95 owner's thread in the Blu-ray Players Forum here. There are lots of folks posting there happily using the analog outputs. They may even be familiar with your equipment, and they can certainly discuss the various setup options:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1311806

--Bob

. -- Need personal consultation/training?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Disc Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page