Video problem with Onkyo TX-NR609 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 02-10-2012, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just got a brand new Onkyo TX-NR609 from Amazon, after like 4 hours of taking apart my old system and setting everything up, I turn it on and get no picture through the HDMI out. I have tried turning everything off and back on in different orders, tried resetting the receiver with the VCR/DVR+Power button to no avail.

The thing is I briefly see ONKYO on my TV when I turn it on, or sometimes when I switch inputs on the TV but after about 10 seconds the ONKYO goes away and the tv says No Signal. I can hear audio through the receiver, just no picture being sent out to my TV.

I'm still searching this forum and others for possible solutions, but I figured I'd post here while I'm looking in case there is some simple solution I'm missing.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-10-2012, 05:32 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Merrick View Post

Just got a brand new Onkyo TX-NR609 from Amazon, after like 4 hours of taking apart my old system and setting everything up, I turn it on and get no picture through the HDMI out. I have tried turning everything off and back on in different orders, tried resetting the receiver with the VCR/DVR+Power button to no avail.

The thing is I briefly see ONKYO on my TV when I turn it on, or sometimes when I switch inputs on the TV but after about 10 seconds the ONKYO goes away and the tv says No Signal. I can hear audio through the receiver, just no picture being sent out to my TV.

I'm still searching this forum and others for possible solutions, but I figured I'd post here while I'm looking in case there is some simple solution I'm missing.

Thanks in advance.

Try a different HDMI cable if you have one. Also make sure the input in the TV is set corrently.

Too many toys
post #3 of 13 Old 02-10-2012, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter

Could it be a cable even though I saw the ONKYO logo on the screen? The TV input is not the problem.
post #4 of 13 Old 02-10-2012, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Hi Jason Merrick, maybe more info on your equipment (sources, monitor), connection type and settings might narrow down the problem.
post #5 of 13 Old 02-10-2012, 07:39 AM

Liked: 10
I am so new not sure I should even attempt to offer advice. Is the HDMI port assigned in the receiver?
post #6 of 13 Old 02-10-2012, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Smoke View Post

I am so new not sure I should even attempt to offer advice. Is the HDMI port assigned in the receiver?

Hi Midnight Smoke, out of the box there's no need to assign when using the default settings, it should simply be plug and play.
post #7 of 13 Old 02-10-2012, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Amazingly enough, I apparently found the one bad cable Monoprice will make this year. I had purchased several new HDMI cables, a few 3-footers for devices that were in the same rack as the new receiver and a 12-foot, higher quality premium cable (thicker gauge, mesh casing) to run from the receiver to the TV. Before I was going to call Onkyo, I decided to just switch out the cable to make sure, and my 4-year old Monoprice run o' the mill HDMI cable worked instantly.

Oh well, just when you think the obvious CAN'T be the problem for YOU, it is. Lesson learned. Thanks for the attempts at help though!
post #8 of 13 Old 05-23-2012, 04:03 AM - Thread Starter

Ironic that I find my own old thread when searching for Onkyo TX-NR609 video problem... after just 3.5 months, looks like my Onkyo has blown it's HDMI board. Yesterday it just stopped displaying a picture. Still get audio, but no video.

As much as I've loved Onkyo in the past, it looks like they really have dropped the ball on quality control these days. Won't be recommending Onkyo anymore.

=(
post #9 of 13 Old 10-08-2012, 07:33 PM

I believe my HDMI board has also gone out after 8mos and it looks like there isn't a service center in Phx. Ugh!!
post #10 of 13 Old 10-09-2012, 02:08 AM - Thread Starter

When I had the video issue with my HDMI I was able to solve the problem with a hardware reset of the receiver (Press and Hold the VCR/DVR button then press POWER). The downside is you lose all of your configuration settings and will have to set it all up like it's new again. After having to do this twice, I changed my HDMI configuration to always send my DirecTV through the HDMI when the receiver is off. Since setting it up that way, I haven't had another HDMI failure.
so2r and Solidsnake316sr like this.
post #11 of 13 Old 01-20-2013, 04:40 PM

Thanks for saying how to reset the NR609. I had not read that in the manual and you saved me from buying a replacement. My HDMI output died this weekend and I thought it had died after 9 months of ownership but with a reset, I'm back in business. I wish there was a way to store all the unit's settings but I have not researched to see if that is possible.

Thanks again for the post!!!!
post #12 of 13 Old 03-02-2013, 03:30 PM

This has happened to me NUMEROUS times. You have to reset the unit and it's a pain in the butt because you lose all of your settings. Basic settings are not easy to re-do, but inputting 30 My Favorites presets on the NET function sucks. They should fix this in an update or do a recall - they know it's an issue and they've done nothing to help. I have spoken to a half dozen people who have had this issue or know about it.
post #13 of 13 Old 03-02-2013, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I had to do the reset today to restore audio passthrough when the receiver is off. This is with my "new to me" 609 refurb I just got from ShopOnkyo 2 days ago. PITA to have to do all the settings and Audessy all over again. Sure hope this isn't a frequent problem.rolleyes.gif

Ed
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr609 7 2 Channel Network Thx Certified A V Receiver
Gear in this thread - Nr609 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page