Sound Quality of Yamaha RX-A2010 vs older RX-V2400 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-10-2012, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an old 2004 vintage Yamaha RX-V2400 receiver. I was thinking of replacing it with a newer Yamaha RX-A2010 receiver; however, I am concerned about the sound quality for music. I have a separate external amp for the front 3 channels. How does the pre-amp sound quality (i.e. DACs for music, analog output section, and pre-amp outs) compare on the newer RX-A2010 vs the RX-V2400?

I have read that most companies have sacrificed sound quality (i.e. analog out section and pre-amp outs) on their receivers to pack in features to meet a price point. Does anyone have actual experience with the two units to see if that is the case? I'm sure the A2010 will be fine for movies, but I'm much more picky about music (which I listen to in 2.1).

Would I be better getting a dedicated pre-pro instead and just get a separate surround amp?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-10-2012, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by xirtam2005 View Post

I have an old 2004 vintage Yamaha RX-V2400 receiver. I was thinking of replacing it with a newer Yamaha RX-A2010 receiver; however, I am concerned about the sound quality for music. I have a separate external amp for the front 3 channels. How does the pre-amp sound quality (i.e. DACs for music, analog output section, and pre-amp outs) compare on the newer RX-A2010 vs the RX-V2400?

I have read that most companies have sacrificed sound quality (i.e. analog out section and pre-amp outs) on their receivers to pack in features to meet a price point. Does anyone have actual experience with the two units to see if that is the case? I'm sure the A2010 will be fine for movies, but I'm much more picky about music (which I listen to in 2.1).

Would I be better getting a dedicated pre-pro instead and just get a separate surround amp?

No experience with xx10 series but I did use a A3000 for the use you want. IMO it did not sound as good as my older Yamaha 2600. You may feel the same way comparing the 2400 to the newer models. I am now using a H/K 7550HD for everything and it works really well. The A3000 is in storage for now. The A3000 sounds great but not in the H/K's class to me. All of these with the same speaker setup. They all sound better to me than the Onkyo 876 that I used for a while. Of course you need to take into consideration that all of these also used different EQ methods and to me that was the biggest difference. The outputs on the A3000 will do what the 2600 did and maybe more. Sorry this possibly won't help with the xx10 series. I have no experience with any of those. Not very many changes between the XX00 series and the XX10 series though. Good luck and enjoy.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-10-2012, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This helps perfectly, and unfortunately, that confirms my suspicions. This is very disappointing that I'll have to spend at least 3x on separates to get the same or slightly better SQ as a $1000 receiver years ago. I'm annoyed and not sure what to get, but thanks for the advice.
post #4 of 4 Old 02-10-2012, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by xirtam2005 View Post

This helps perfectly, and unfortunately, that confirms my suspicions. This is very disappointing that I'll have to spend at least 3x on separates to get the same or slightly better SQ as a $1000 receiver years ago. I'm annoyed and not sure what to get, but thanks for the advice.

Then you may want to look at the H/K 7550HD. This darn thing is powerful and sounds great for either 2 or multi-channel music. Just the best AVR I've ever used. Build quality is exceptional IMO.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx A2010 Receiver
Gear in this thread - A2010 by PriceGrabber.com