Need Receiver Advise - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-11-2012, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

I'm in the market for a receiver, and I was hoping I could get some advise.

I want to invest and get an receiver that I can use long term. My old Kenwood did last me +5 years, and I'm thinking an Onkyo or Denon will easily top that amount.

I do not have any speakers, aside from some very older / cheap style. My budget won't allow me to buy any speakers until later in the year.

I run a NAS and most of my music is FLAC, some MP3. This accounts for 75% of my collection. 25% is turntable vinyl.
My front end will be XBMC Live, through a think pad (DVI, Digital Coaxial, 3.5 mm) and I'll also run over my second HTPC, HDMI/3.5 mmm.
Some movies and shows as well.

My budget is 500 - 1000$, the more I spend, the longer till speaker upgrades.

AVR-1912
AVR-2112
AVR-3311 <- Demo unit on sale @ 799$
tx-nr609 (Onkyo) <- Clearly the best bang for the buck.

Would the 3311 handle FLAC over Ethernet ?

Lastly, I'm in an appartment, so I will likely run 5.1 for movies, but more frequently Stereo for tunes. One day in a house, I'll move to a 7.1 (or 2) setup.

My overlining question is: MultEQ, what and why/why not. From what I understand, it helps adjust the high/mid/lows during playback, on the fly, for the most enjoyable experience.

Is this something that I NEED to invest in +10 years, or does the 2EQ variant feature offer the same benefits?

Thanks for your opinions.

G.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-11-2012, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by gedsdead View Post

experience.

Is this something that I NEED to invest in +10 years, or does the 2EQ variant feature offer the same benefits?

G.

With you needs and budget just get what works and sounds good to you now... Don't even thing about 10+ years, all this hardware will be just about worthless.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-11-2012, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hey guys,

I'm in the market for a receiver, and I was hoping I could get some advise.

I want to invest and get an receiver that I can use long term. My old Kenwood did last me +5 years, and I'm thinking an Onkyo or Denon will easily top that amount.

I do not have any speakers, aside from some very older / cheap style. My budget won't allow me to buy any speakers until later in the year.

I run a NAS and most of my music is FLAC, some MP3. This accounts for 75% of my collection. 25% is turntable vinyl.
My front end will be XBMC Live, through a think pad (DVI, Digital Coaxial, 3.5 mm) and I'll also run over my second HTPC, HDMI/3.5 mmm.
Some movies and shows as well.

My budget is 500 - 1000$, the more I spend, the longer till speaker upgrades.

AVR-1912
AVR-2112
AVR-3311 <- Demo unit on sale @ 799$
tx-nr609 (Onkyo) <- Clearly the best bang for the buck.

Would the 3311 handle FLAC over Ethernet ?

Lastly, I'm in an appartment, so I will likely run 5.1 for movies, but more frequently Stereo for tunes. One day in a house, I'll move to a 7.1 (or 2) setup.

My overlining question is: MultEQ, what and why/why not. From what I understand, it helps adjust the high/mid/lows during playback, on the fly, for the most enjoyable experience.

G.

Call Electronics Expo and ask them for the best price on these units (don't be put off by the advertised price on their website). Based on the linked thread, you can get the 3312 for $820 shipped which is a pretty good deal. If you don't need preouts, the 2112 is also an excellent unit for about 1/2 price.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1393083
post #4 of 5 Old 02-13-2012, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Any suggestions on my questions about FLAC with the 3311, or MultEQ, what and why/why not.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-14-2012, 08:09 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Any suggestions on my questions about FLAC with the 3311, or MultEQ, what and why/why not.

You mention eventually moving to a 7.1 or more importantly a 7.2 setup. With that, 2EQ will not EQ the subs at all and it can be very difficult to properly integrate 2 subs in a room. So I would go for the best Audyssey you can afford. On your list that comes from the 3311 or 3312 which has Multieq XT.

But as the previous poster already mentioned, don't buy a receiver expecting you will still be thrilled with it 5-10 years from now. Technology is changing too quickly.

And yes the Denon 3311 or 3312 will handle FLAC over ethernet from your NAS.

Too many toys
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page