HK 7550HD vs Yamaha A3010/A2010 & the Winner Is... - Page 2 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Receivers, Amps, and Processors > HK 7550HD vs Yamaha A3010/A2010 & the Winner Is...

Receivers, Amps, and Processors

jtenn's Avatar jtenn
10:52 PM Liked: 12
post #31 of 34
02-14-2012 | Posts: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

Not sure HK does rate all their receivers all channels driven by the way. I seem to recall them doing that at one point in time, but look at the models on their web page now. For example, their most expensive model specifically shows 110 watts, two channels driven.

I believe before the xx50 lineup they rated their receivers with all channels driven. I think they switched to the new rating to be more in line with the other manufactures. People would see the lower watts per channel and would steer clear of them believing they were underpowered when in fact they were most likely more powerful then the competition.
Powerage's Avatar Powerage
12:59 AM Liked: 10
post #32 of 34
02-15-2012 | Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post

I'm using Paradigm 40's and matching center for the front and 20's for the rear. Yes the 7550 will drive your speakers easily. And as for the power it is probably rated conservatively with all channels driven.

Have you also considered the Denon 4311

Are you sure the 7550 can drive these 4 towers & a hefty center without fear of damage? Originally I thought I may have to run an Emotiva XPA-5 with a receiver to get the best out of this system. What do you think are the pros & cons of adding an XPA-5 2 to the system aside from the expense. This is basically my speaker setup sans the woofer.

http://www.energy-speakers.com/na-en...-3-1-overview/

I have not really looked at the Denon. what do you feel are the strong points of the 4311?
phantom52's Avatar phantom52
04:22 AM Liked: 83
post #33 of 34
02-15-2012 | Posts: 7,089
Quote:

Not sure HK does rate all their receivers all channels driven by the way. I seem to recall them doing that at one point in time, but look at the models on their web page now. For example, their most expensive model specifically shows 110 watts, two channels driven.

They started that type of rating with the XX50 series.That would be the 2011 models. Look at models prior to those, That would be the 1600/2600/3600 and before.
dRockHK's Avatar dRockHK
10:49 PM Liked: 13
post #34 of 34
02-15-2012 | Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerage View Post

Thanks, very interesting. Do you think maybe the 354 & 7550 are on par or at least very close in power output, they are close in weight. I know we cant base everything on weight as there are other components to consider such as the Heat Sync etc.

What are your speakers rated? The 354 looks pretty good. Aside from the Power & less connectivity, what are the primary differences in the 354 & 7550? Is the interface close or is it GUI based-not that that's anything critical, just curious.

The 7550 is substantially more powerful than the AVR 354. It also weighs ~13lbs+ more.

Some of the more noteworthy features of the 7550 over the 354;
35wpc higher than the 354 (110wpc vs 75wpc, both with 2 channels driven 20hz-20khz into 8ohms @<.07thd), and 25 amps higher "High Instantaneous Current Capability" HCC rating (±60amps vs ±35)
DLNA Network playback, Internet Radio
USB port for audio and picture file playback (and upgrades)
Logic 7 post-processing/layering on multichannel streams, including HD codecs (awesome. all of the 1, 2 and 3 series HKs can only apply logic 7 on 2.0 (analog or PCM only))
More sophisticated Harman-developed EZSet/EQ II with dual sub calibration, as M Code explained in greater detail earlier
Dolby Volume
HDMI 1.4a 3D support (bypass mode)
Zone2 composite video output and OSD
2 trigger outputs, RS-232 control, A-Bus Zone2 output, And basically more of every input

Keep in mind the 7550HD was a flagship model H/K, with an MSRP more than triple that of the 354. The 354 was still a great, and very powerful AVR.

The GUI layout is the same, very clean and simple to use. It first appeared on the AVR254/354 several years ago and continues to be used on the current models (2650/3650)

Stepping up to the 3600 over the 354 would gain an additional HDMI input, Dolby Volume, and 3D Support among other changes. Power is very close between them (...and the several generations of H/K 3 series AVRs preceding)
The x600s have also been more reliable and less buggy from the start.

In the x650 thread I made a detailed list comparing the AVR 3600 and 3650, and then comparing the 7550 to both.
Check out this post and those following for info;
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...#post21574146/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerage View Post

Are you sure the 7550 can drive these 4 towers & a hefty center without fear of damage? Originally I thought I may have to run an Emotiva XPA-5 with a receiver to get the best out of this system. What do you think are the pros & cons of adding an XPA-5 2 to the system aside from the expense. This is basically my speaker setup sans the woofer.

http://www.energy-speakers.com/na-en...-3-1-overview/

The 7550 will have no issue driving the v6.3s, or any other speaker combo in the new veritas line. They are all VERY efficient speakers, and the 7550 is an extremely stout AVR. I would have no reservations using the 7550 to power 4x v6.3 with a v5.2 center.
Even the more modest HK AVR3600 or 354 can handle these speakers with ease, though not to the volume levels the 7550 would be capable of without distortion.

BTW - I'm also a 7550 owner who upgraded from the 354's predecessor 347 (close in power) and happen to have a 7.2 Energy RC based system, which the new veritas line was derived from (with greater sensitivity than the RCs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post

Quote:

They started that type of rating with the XX50 series.That would be the 2011 models. Look at models prior to those, That would be the 1600/2600/3600 and before.

For US models, H/K has not rated their receivers with the "All Channels Driven" spec for the past few generations.
This stopped with the AVR 354, which only provided a wattage specification with 2 of the channels driven. (The 254, OTOH, was provided a 2 channel and all channels driven rating like previous models)
All U.S. H/K AVRs since then, including the 3550HD (which was AVR 354 with new face panel+A-Bus), x600s, x650s, 1565 and 7550HD are all rated 2 channels only.

Up until the x650/x65s, the HK EU counterparts did provide both a two channel and an all-channels-driven spec which can be used for comparison.

The new US HK x650s are still being rated 2 channels driven 20hz-20khz into 8ohms, but from what I understand not 'continuously' and at higher THD for a higher wattage specification
An HCG Support rep was going to get back to me with more information on how the new x650s are rated, though I have not received any more detailed information yet.

M Code will be the guy to get some definitive info on this!
Tags: Yamaha Rx A3010 Receiver

Gear in this thread - A3010 by PriceGrabber.com
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Subscribe to this Thread