HK 7550HD vs Yamaha A3010/A2010 & the Winner Is... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 34 Old 02-11-2012, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,
Finally, time for the dream receiver. After much research, I've narrowed down to these receivers: HK 7550HD vs Yamaha A3010/A2010. Not sure I'll be getting a power amp any time soon if at all.

This will be for a 5.1 mostly movies with some music...so far from my limited linear research, the Yamaha appears to be more up-to-date with GUI friendly interface and overall state of the art. On the other hand, the HK has a sterling reputation for no compromise sound quality. Wow, this decision turned out to be a lot tougher than I thought. What do you guys think about these? Please put me out of my misery. =]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 02-11-2012, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Replace Yamaha 3010/2010 for Denon 4311/3312 and you have a winner
post #3 of 34 Old 02-11-2012, 08:40 PM

Yamaha all the way
post #4 of 34 Old 02-11-2012, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Try the hk. You won't be disappointed.
post #5 of 34 Old 02-12-2012, 06:34 PM

Liked: 25
I recently upgraded from a Yamaha to an HK. I can tell you that my system sounds a whole lot better.
post #6 of 34 Old 02-12-2012, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerage View Post

Hi all,
Finally, time for the dream receiver. After much research, I've narrowed down to these receivers: HK 7550HD vs Yamaha A3010/A2010. Not sure I'll be getting a power amp any time soon if at all.

This will be for a 5.1 mostly movies with some music...so far from my limited linear research, the Yamaha appears to be more up-to-date with GUI friendly interface and overall state of the art. On the other hand, the HK has a sterling reputation for no compromise sound quality. Wow, this decision turned out to be a lot tougher than I thought. What do you guys think about these? Please put me out of my misery. =]

I would pm Phantom52 as he owned the 7550HD and the A3000 and he preferred the sound of the HK. I think he had some issues with the 7550 so he went with the a3000 and then decided to switch back to the 7550 because the sound was better. I'm not sure if how it worked out so it would be best to find out from him. I'm sure he would be willing to give you a good comparison if you send him a pm.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 34 Old 02-13-2012, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpearce023 View Post

I would pm Phantom52 as he owned the 7550HD and the A3000 and he preferred the sound of the HK. I think he had some issues with the 7550 so he went with the a3000 and then decided to switch back to the 7550 because the sound was better. I'm not sure if how it worked out so it would be best to find out from him. I'm sure he would be willing to give you a good comparison if you send him a pm.

IMO the H/K 7550HD wins out easily over the A3000. Can't tell you about the 3010, never used one. I would think a better question would be how does it compare to the 4311. That may be a closer contest due to Audyssey XT32. I love my 7550HD and would not trade it for any other AVR out there right now. It does everything I need and hope it last for a very long time. I did have little annoying bugs with the first two I used but this one now has been working as it is supposed to. Unbelievable power, Dolby Volume,Logic 7, Hi-Def GUI, HDMI 1.4 upgrade. Very user friendly.
post #8 of 34 Old 02-13-2012, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
phantom52,
How would you compare the H/K 7550HD to Denon 4311ci. Also what do you mean about bugs and HDMI 1.4 upgrade thanks.

post #9 of 34 Old 02-13-2012, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsil View Post

phantom52,
How would you compare the H/K 7550HD to Denon 4311ci. Also what do you mean about bugs and HDMI 1.4 upgrade thanks.

Sorry can't help with the 4311, never used or even heard one. I'm one of the few whom are not an Audyssey fan. I used it with my Onkyo 876 (XT) and did not like it. Works for most here but not me. As for the 7550 HD it is an awesome AVR. The bugs with my first two were annoying little buggers. Number one has squealing fans(should have fixed them myself), second one was cutting off the first parts of music tracks. Back both went. Then I purchased the Yamaha A3000. Used it but after having the 7550 felt like something was missing from the sound. It couldn't match the 7550. Wasn't even close. I love EQ EZ set II in the H/K. Dolby volume just works like no other volume limiter I've used. Logic 7 is awesome. Ease of setup is hard to match. As for the 3D upgrade H/K came out with a firmware update for the 1600/2600/3600 and 7550HD in order to be able to do 3D with this series. If I were you I would try to find a 3600 and give it a listen, I think you will be impressed. These are rated with ALL channels driven. Maybe it matters, maybe not, but this 7550 is one very powerful AVR. I haven't even turned it up to as high as it will go, afraid for my speakers. The Yamaha couldn't come close to this volume and sound. The 876 could not either. Still have the A3000. It's in it's box in another room. The bugs and fixes for the 7550HD are in its dedicated thread. Give it a read and look. I think you will love the build quality on the 7550HD. It is a heavy, well made AVR.
post #10 of 34 Old 02-13-2012, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post

IMO the H/K 7550HD wins out easily over the A3000. Can't tell you about the 3010, never used one. I would think a better question would be how does it compare to the 4311. That may be a closer contest due to Audyssey XT32. I love my 7550HD and would not trade it for any other AVR out there right now. It does everything I need and hope it last for a very long time. I did have little annoying bugs with the first two I used but this one now has been working as it is supposed to. Unbelievable power, Dolby Volume,Logic 7, Hi-Def GUI, HDMI 1.4 upgrade. Very user friendly.

Thanks all for the feedback, Especially phantom52 & mjpearce023! I talked to several retailers today & they all said in one way or another that theYamaha 2010-3010s were better for "Home Theater" & Harman Kardon slightly preferred for Music Listening. Most had both in stock. I really want to try the HK 7550HD as phantom52 recommended.

What do you guys think about Ebays HK Reconditioned option? They offer the full 2 Year Manufactures Warranty. Has anyone checked these out yet? If so, what were they like? I tried calling all three 6th Ave Electronics NJ store locations & no answer. Are they still alive? Frustrating because I would like to purchase new if possible.

Phantom52, any chance you could run down your speaker config/specs? This would be great to know since it sounds like you're using the 7550 as your only power source? Also, why are all these people so down on HK for home theater application--do you think there's anything to this? It would be great to get your take on this since you've had so much experience with it. Do you do mostly home theater or music?

Thanks again for all the great info.
post #11 of 34 Old 02-13-2012, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I too have been looking at these receivers. I have a H/K AVR2600 now and like it alot. When I upgrade I'm planning on going with the 7550HD. I haven't had a chance to listen to the RX-A3000 but have listened to the RX-A800. It was very close to my 2600 but the H/K seemed to have a slightly better sound to it. I use mine mostly for movies and can't complain about the sound. As far as the refurbs on ebay go they still have the 2yr warranty from H/K so I wouldn't hesitate in buying one.

post #12 of 34 Old 02-13-2012, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The harmanaudio refurbs are awesome. Back in 2007 May I bought a refurbed HK AVR 745 and it looked and behaved new. I had it for four years+ years and sold it on ebay last year and upgraded to a NAD T775HD. Still miss the 745 in certain ways!
post #13 of 34 Old 02-14-2012, 03:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks all for the feedback, Especially phantom52 & mjpearce023! I talked to several retailers today & they all said in one way or another that theYamaha 2010-3010s were better for "Home Theater" & Harman Kardon slightly preferred for Music Listening. Most had both in stock. I really want to try the HK 7550HD as phantom52 recommended.

What do you guys think about Ebays HK Reconditioned option? They offer the full 2 Year Manufactures Warranty. Has anyone checked these out yet? If so, what were they like? I tried calling all three 6th Ave Electronics NJ store locations & no answer. Are they still alive? Frustrating because I would like to purchase new if possible.

Phantom52, any chance you could run down your speaker config/specs? This would be great to know since it sounds like you're using the 7550 as your only power source? Also, why are all these people so down on HK for home theater application--do you think there's anything to this? It would be great to get your take on this since you've had so much experience with it. Do you do mostly home theater or music?

Thanks again for all the great info.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a refurb from H/K. As for 6 Ave I believe I got their last one, it was off Ebay with a full warranty and new. There were 2 others there when I purchased mine but they both wanted full price. Way over my budget. My speakers are Paradigm Studio's all around with a SVS PB12 Plus Sub. I purchase all of my equipment for the way it produces music. My feelings are that if it does music really well movies are a breeze for them, not the other way around. The 7550 does music very well and movies are outstanding. Our use is mostly music but also a lot of movies. The thing is rarely off. Yes the 7550 is my only power source it or the A3000 do not need an additional amp for my speakers and room. I have more power than I can use. The 7550, IMO is the best AVR I have ever used. Its build quality is second to none that I've used or seen, and that includes the 4311 or A3000 or anything I've seen from Onkyo and Integra. I feel that you would love the 7550 if you used one. If it has the connectivity and features you need then go for it. I think it's a easy decision over the A3000.
post #14 of 34 Old 02-14-2012, 08:01 AM

Well my experience with HK refurbs is not too good, these were bought directly from HK.
This was about 6-7 years ago, got one there was something wrong with it, sent it back got another, and that one also had a glaring problem with the sound. It was like they just reboxed them and sent them off without any checking for defects. Anyhow finally became disgusted and bought a new Yamaha V1400,which functioned perfectly. Now it has been upgraded to an A1010, which I really like.
I did have good luck with refurbed JBL speakers though, still going strong.
Old Mike
post #15 of 34 Old 02-14-2012, 09:42 AM

Perhaps I'm just weird, but the most important thing to me is sound quality. I can work with other quirks or features if it sounds right. After all, that is the whole point of buying these devices and speakers right? If we didn't care about how it sounded we would simply get an HDMI switcher and use the speakers that are built in to our TV's.
post #16 of 34 Old 02-14-2012, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaked05 View Post

Perhaps I'm just weird, but the most important thing to me is sound quality. I can work with other quirks or features if it sounds right. After all, that is the whole point of buying these devices and speakers right? If we didn't care about how it sounded we would simply get an HDMI switcher and use the speakers that are built in to our TV's.

I can agree with this. The problem is that sometimes the best sounding AVR's are not the most reliable. When you spend a lot of money on these things you want some lifespan out of them. The Yamaha, IMO are THE most reliable and combining that with sound quality would seem to be the logical choice. In the case of the A3000 and 7550 I'll take my chance. MCode has been using his 7550 for quite a while IIRC. So I decided to take my chances again with the H/K. Glad I did so far. Now in a year my mind may change. But then again mine will still be in warranty and if anything fails on it H/K will fix or replace it. I always have the A3000 for backup and its not a bad thing by any means. I'm just trying to give the OP a choice between these two. My choice at this time would be the 7550 easily. It works very well with both music and movies. With music it performs flawlessly with either 2 channel or multi-channel. With movies the dynamics are there in spades. What more could you ask out of an AVR. JMHO and nothing more.
post #17 of 34 Old 02-14-2012, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

phantom52,
What about sub EQ does it work like Audyssey or like MCACC that doesn't EQ the sub.

post #18 of 34 Old 02-14-2012, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

phantom52,
What about sub EQ does it work like Audyssey or like MCACC that doesn't EQ the sub.

It will EQ 1 or 2 subs and does it quite well.
post #19 of 34 Old 02-14-2012, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

There is no cut off point like the Yamaha with EQ the sub.

post #20 of 34 Old 02-14-2012, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

None that I'm aware of. MCode can answer this one better than I can. Or the answer may be in the 7550's dedicated thread.
post #21 of 34 Old 02-14-2012, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Again To Everyone for all the Useful Info & Insight. If you guys could post your speakers / specs, I think this would be beneficial to those putting together / upgrading new systems.

Quote:

My speakers are Paradigm Studio's all around with a SVS PB12 Plus Sub. I purchase all of my equipment for the way it produces music.

What Paradigm Studio speakers do you have? These look pretty sharp - Paradigm Reference Studio 60 v.5 http://www.soundstageav.com/onhifi/20090501.htm

My setup is a 5.1 Energy Veritas 6.3s - in front - V5.2 Center & 6.3s for the rear surrounds. Do you think the 7550HD can deliver enough power for this setup? I know for some its crazy to have towers in the rear surround but it was the best option for me.

Does the 7550 have a True Bypass so the display can be used without the receiver being on?

No doubt the HK7550 is a very capable music / audio pre-amp/amp perhaps even the best in its class but, the Yamaha ( 3010/2010 ) is also clearly superior when it comes to Video Processing - Connectivity & perhaps surround Presets /Effects. That said; the Yamaha 3010 is a much newer model so, it would be expected to have better connectivity & overall technology.

The fact that many are still comparing the HK 7550 to the Yamaha 3010/2010 is in itself proof the HK was a quality design in 2009.

One of the strongest points of the 7550 seems to be its power section. Consider that the HK 7550 boasts 7 Channels at 110 watts & the Y- 3010/2010 claims 9 channels at 150 watts. Yet both weigh in very close at about 40pounds & the HK even weighs a little more. One could easily make the heaver output transformer argument in HKs favor.

Either way its a close race for me between the HK 7550 & Yamaha 3010/2010.
post #22 of 34 Old 02-14-2012, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:

The 7550HD uses 100Hz as the X-Over point for the subwoofer, but its real intelligence is based upon the designated sub size. The Harman R&D team programmed many subwoofer specs considering size, enclosure type...
When (2) subs are selected, the DSP measures power response within the room of each and then merges the data considering the listener's position.
If different sitting positions are used for music & HT then save each individually as a preset.

The strength of EZSet/EQ II was developed after multiple testing done by Dr.Toole's team, and it try to flatten the low frequencies (<200Hz) nodes/resonances by pulling down the peaks rather than boosting each side of the hole. Its end response is very subtle, smooth & solid but not boomy..

Another neat thing is its LFE level in addition to just the subwoofer level.

I don't like to make comparisons to other EQ schemes but we have installed many AVRs with Audyssey, plus we have the Audyssey the Pro Kit but we still prefer EZSet/EQ II. But here again we recommend that each user try each for themselves..

Just my $0.02...
post #23 of 34 Old 02-14-2012, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm using Paradigm 40's and matching center for the front and 20's for the rear. Yes the 7550 will drive your speakers easily. And as for the power it is probably rated conservatively with all channels driven. The Yamaha is rated higher but will not meet those specs with all channels driven. Not that it matters. The Yamaha will work just fine. If it has the features and connectivity you want go for it. It is a very fine AVR. The 7550 does not have bypass. But the thought of having all that equipment in my room and not using it has never even crossed our minds. Bypass means nothing to us. Is it possible for you to try each of these AVR's in your room to try out yourself. With these two its a coin flip for what you want. Have you also considered the Denon 4311? That one was my next purchase if the 7550 did not work out. I'm not an Audyssey fan but I believe it's the way I'm using it and not the program. XT32 may have been what I needed at the time. However at this time I would not trade my 7550 for any other AVR. To me it's that good. One thing that can't be beat with the Yamaha's is thier reliability. If you get that 3010 be ready to use it for a long time, if it works as well as all my previous Yamaha's you will be upgrading with a fully working AVR. Good luck and enjoy whichever you choose. Any other questions I will answer if I can.
post #24 of 34 Old 02-14-2012, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

M Code,
My sub is the HSU VTF-15H with NHT VT-1.2 towers, VS-1.2 satellites, VSa2 center and super zeros.

post #25 of 34 Old 02-14-2012, 02:51 PM

[quote=Powerage;21645156]Thanks Again To Everyone for all the Useful Info & Insight. If you guys could post your speakers / specs, I think this would be beneficial to those putting together / upgrading new systems.

My current system is HK AVR 354 pushing a pair of B&W 604 S3's in front, a B&W LCR-60 for center, a pair of B&W 602 S1's for rear and an MTX SW-1212 sub. The B&W's are not considered efficient speakers yet the AVR 354 at only 75 wpc drives them better and cleaner than my Yamaha HTR 6090 rated at 120 wpc. I will never go back to Yamaha. Even though my Yamaha has been undeniably reliable, it just does not even compare in terms of sound quality.
post #26 of 34 Old 02-14-2012, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'm using Paradigm 40's and matching center for the front and 20's for the rear. Yes the 7550 will drive your speakers easily. I would not trade my 7550 for any other AVR. To me it's that good. One thing that can't be beat with the Yamaha's is thier reliability. If you get that 3010 be ready to use it for a long time, if it works as well as all my previous Yamaha's you will be upgrading with a fully working AVR.

I'm leaning toward the sound quality, but also dreading the idea that I could get a buggy 7550. Thanks for the continued support.
post #27 of 34 Old 02-14-2012, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

[quote=Tweaked05;21645812]
Quote:

Thanks Again To Everyone for all the Useful Info & Insight. If you guys could post your speakers / specs, I think this would be beneficial to those putting together / upgrading new systems.

My current system is HK AVR 354 pushing a pair of B&W 604 S3's in front, a B&W LCR-60 for center, a pair of B&W 602 S1's for rear and an MTX SW-1212 sub. The B&W's are not considered efficient speakers yet the AVR 354 at only 75 wpc drives them better and cleaner than my Yamaha HTR 6090 rated at 120 wpc. I will never go back to Yamaha. Even though my Yamaha has been undeniably reliable, it just does not even compare in terms of sound quality.

Thanks, very interesting. Do you think maybe the 354 & 7550 are on par or at least very close in power output, they are close in weight. I know we cant base everything on weight as there are other components to consider such as the Heat Sync etc.

What are your speakers rated? The 354 looks pretty good. Aside from the Power & less connectivity, what are the primary differences in the 354 & 7550? Is the interface close or is it GUI based-not that that's anything critical, just curious.
post #28 of 34 Old 02-14-2012, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I would think that the 7550 is a better AVR than the 354. Have you looked at the H/K 3600? Last years model and the last time IIRC that H/K did not rate their AVR's like everyone else. Another question for MCode. The 7550 is my first AVR from H/K. I do have a H/K 3390 stereo receiver.
post #29 of 34 Old 02-14-2012, 06:39 PM

[quote=Powerage;21646648]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaked05 View Post

Thanks, very interesting. Do you think maybe the 354 & 7550 are on par or at least very close in power output, they are close in weight. I know we cant base everything on weight as there are other components to consider such as the Heat Sync etc.

What are your speakers rated? The 354 looks pretty good. Aside from the Power & less connectivity, what are the primary differences in the 354 & 7550? Is the interface close or is it GUI based-not that that's anything critical, just curious.

The 7550 is much more robust than the 354. Remember HK rates their receivers all channels driven, so since they are rated the same way, the 7550 is going to be much more powerful. As for features, the 7550 was HK's top of the line. It has more HDMI's, I believe it has Dolby Volume which the 354 does not, I also believe it has network capability but I could be wrong. All in all, I would say get the 7550 over the 354, but if money is tight then go with the HK AVR 3600. It is on par with the 354 performance wise, but it has more features. My speakers are rated for 200w @ 8ohms and 90db sensitivity.
post #30 of 34 Old 02-14-2012, 08:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Not sure HK does rate all their receivers all channels driven by the way. I seem to recall them doing that at one point in time, but look at the models on their web page now. For example, their most expensive model specifically shows 110 watts, two channels driven.

"But this one goes up to 11"
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx A3010 Receiver
Gear in this thread - A3010 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page