Ideal AVR for me from 2006/07, but which one? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-11-2012, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'm trying to find the best AVR for me, and it seem that a lower-mid range from 06 or 07 is probably the only way to go without paying big bucks for a new one. I'm pretty familiar with Onkyo and Yamaha recivers, but I'd like input from those familiar with other brands such as Denon, HK, Pioneer, Sony, etc. to help me find model numbers so I can search ebay, craigslist, ...

Here's what I'd like, and why new recivers tend to not have what I want without paying out the nose. I've got an older HD CRT with only component input, and am hooking up plent of old equipment.

Requirements (number of inputs is minimum):
2 HDMI (only need 5.1 PCM)
3 Component Video/1 Out
3 S-Video
3 Composite
1 Phono
1 6-channel analog audio
2 optical
2 coax

The problems for new receivers at the low end are phono, s-video, and 6ch analog in.

So far, I've come across the Yamaha RX-V661, the newer V663 could also work, but I'd need to get a phono pre-amp. For Onkyo, I think the TX-SR705 would hit all those points, but it's a bit more expensive used than the Yamahas. The Onkyo 606 has all but the phono as well. I'd like to expand my search to other brands listed above, but don't know what models to look for. The new Onkyo 809 hits all the points, but it's in the $750-$800 range, and I'm looking to spend between $100-$200 used.

Perhaps there's a wiki somewhere with a compiled list of recievers and features, but haven't come across anything.

A friend from work thinks I'm nuts for just not getting a new all HDMI receiver, so I expect a few people to voice that opinion here as well. But I've got a turntable, a SNES and N64, both of which have S-Video as their highest (non-modded) video output. And I have a Pioneer DV-563A for my SACD and DVD-A output, but need the 6-ch in for it.

It seems that the years 06 and 07 were the best for the lower end receivers to have all the features I really want.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-11-2012, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I am also looking for an AVR with 6 channel (5.1) analog input. The reason is because my HTPC motherboard outputs audio in this manner. I was over at the Crutchfield site looking at their images of receivers, but as you mention, it seems like none of them accept 6 channel analog input. 6 channel analog output is on a lot of motherboards (at least all three of my motherboards have it), so it is odd that no receivers seem to accommodate it anymore.

I could instead use HDMI (both my HTPC and TV have it), but I absolutely refuse to accept any kind of handshake issues. Having to turn components on in a certain order, play with input selection or power cycling that some folks have to do - I will not put up with that nonsense. My HTPC connected directly to my TV is rock solid in terms of the handshake, and it is going to stay that way - can you tell that is important to me, lol. That is why I would like to have the 6 channel option if needed.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-12-2012, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 27
There are still quite a number of new AVRs that have a MCH analogue input but the number is diminishing. They also tend to be more expensive as that feature is not readily available in entry level models. If one has a tight budget, used is the way to go. But there are frequent sales in the US that could fit your needs.
post #4 of 6 Old 02-12-2012, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If you can find one. The Denon 2808 hits all the requirements that you have and is a great receiver. You are probably looking at $200-250 for a mint one with original box and all accessories. I had one of these until recently when I changed to a pair of Denon 3808's. I was running a S-Video JVC VCR and Pioneer Laserdisc and an Oppo BDP-80 via HDMI and cable box HDMI and everything worked great and sounded awesome. I also ran a Denon DP-1800 turntable through it. Good luck with your search.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-13-2012, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Thanks for the heads up on the Denon. Unfortunately, no one around me has one list on craigslist, and there are only a couple on ebay, missing the cal mic.

Anyone familiar with Pioneer or Sony receiver lines know if they had models that would hit the points above?

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #6 of 6 Old 02-13-2012, 12:40 PM

Liked: 24
Among AVRs available in '06/'07, Denon 4806s and Onkyo 805s are still very viable to this day in a lot of ways.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page