Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking for an audio solution for my home theater. My current setup is:
Sharp 70" w/ DLNA support
PS3
Xbox
Wii
FiOS HD STB

I have a port HDMI switch that will auto tune to the system that will power on (No user interaction to switch inputs) with Optical out. the product ID is 5557 from monoprice

I would like a 5.1 or 5.2 audio setup but I would like to know if my only option is an AVR? I've listen to a few soundbars (ie: polk 6000, sony ct150, 350) but was not pleased. I am not trying to spend too much ($500 component, $1000 complete system). If the option is an avr my choices are:
Denon 1712 or 2112
Onkyo 609
Pioneer 1021
Yamaha or Sony didn't have an option that i was interested in.

What would be the community's response? I am sure similar questions has been asked but can sometimes get lost in these forums
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-13-2012, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I must also add that I don't care for network features of the audio equipment as I have other equipment that can provide such services
post #3 of 8 Old 02-13-2012, 02:00 PM

Am I understanding you correctly that you want a complete 5.1 system (speakers included) for $1000? If so, I would suggest that the most of the receivers you have included on your list are more than you need. For example, the Denon 1612 will meet your needs for less money. All of the manufacturer's you listed (Yamaha included) will have a similar unit for around the same cost. Onkyo may give you more features for the same money. I would eliminate Sony from your list.

Add to this a satellite speaker system (Klipsch quintet or the like) and a cheaper subwoofer and you will have an adequate system that sounds like you will be happy with. Some research in the speaker section will point you in the right direction.
post #4 of 8 Old 02-13-2012, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

This for the suggestion.
Yes, I would like to build a 5.1 or .2 system. With Denon, my thoughts with the 1712 over the 1612 is 15 extra watts per channel and the ability for MultEQ XT (Not fully sure I need to XT for my needs but everyone talks about it in this forum).

Is xxx watts per channel that important? With the same configurations would their be a big difference 75W vs 90W of the Denon 1612 ans 1712?

I am only hesitant with Onkyo because I had their HTIB 10 years back and it overloaded at mid-volume range and I would think they fixed those issues by this point in time.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-13-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofydragon1 View Post

my thoughts with the 1712 over the 1612 is 15 extra watts per channel
Is xxx watts per channel that important? With the same configurations would their be a big difference 75W vs 90W of the Denon 1612 ans 1712?

No. You would not notice an audible difference of 25w. You would have to double the power in order to gain a 3db increase and even that is considered marginal.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-13-2012, 06:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:

This for the suggestion.
Yes, I would like to build a 5.1 or .2 system. With Denon, my thoughts with the 1712 over the 1612 is 15 extra watts per channel and the ability for MultEQ XT (Not fully sure I need to XT for my needs but everyone talks about it in this forum).

I am only hesitant with Onkyo because I had their HTIB 10 years back and it overloaded at mid-volume range and I would think they fixed those issues by this point in time.

I know nothing about your previous HITB system, but it may have had a weak power supply/amp section.

If you are thinking of a mid range Onkyo, it should perform pretty well I would guess.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #7 of 8 Old 02-13-2012, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Based on the comments it seems that I wont do wrong by going with either Denon 1612 or Onkyo 5/609
post #8 of 8 Old 02-14-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:

Based on the comments it seems that I wont do wrong by going with either Denon 1612 or Onkyo 5/609

I don't think so. I personally never place much interest in any auto EQ system. I will crossover the speakers per their specifications, bust out a tape measure for the delay, and tune to my ear from there. The results always sound better to me, but YMMV of course.

Saving even $50 will help you spend a little more on the speakers. I apologize but I haven't researched speakers in ages, but there should be folks over there that can help. Start with a .1 system as you could potentially overwhelm your room. One good sub sounds better than two crappy ones too.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page