HK 3490 and frequency crossover - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 02-13-2012, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
This stereo receiver doesn't have a built-in crossover/bass management. I've got two sets of bookshelf speakers hooked up to the speaker outputs and I've got two active subs connected to the line level outputs. It all sounds fine, but I'm worried that when playing at high volumes I am overstressing the bookshelf drivers by sending full frequency spectrum to them. The bass coming out of the bookshelves sounds a bit distorted, too, when playing loud.

What would I need to do in order to filter out the low frequencies going to the speakers? Install a high-pass crossover between the receiver and the speakers? Most of the crossovers I see seem to be for car audio applications. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real." - Abraham Lincoln

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-13-2012, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Yes. You might need an external crossover for that receiver (either that or truly full range speakers). You can get reasonably priced ones at www.parts-express.com. Another solution would be to use the high level inputs on the subwoofer if available. Do you have that capability with your subwoofers?

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #3 of 10 Old 02-14-2012, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks!

Would something like this be decent enough?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...umber=248-4708

I don't want to spend too much and I need something with RCA connections. Absolute top-notch quality is not necessary as this is in my unfinished basement where acoustics are fairly poor to begin with. With that said, I don't want to degrade the quality further too much if I can help it.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real." - Abraham Lincoln

post #4 of 10 Old 02-14-2012, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7874 View Post

This stereo receiver doesn't have a built-in crossover/bass management. I've got two sets of bookshelf speakers hooked up to the speaker outputs and I've got two active subs connected to the line level outputs. It all sounds fine, but I'm worried that when playing at high volumes I am overstressing the bookshelf drivers by sending full frequency spectrum to them. The bass coming out of the bookshelves sounds a bit distorted, too, when playing loud.

What would I need to do in order to filter out the low frequencies going to the speakers? Install a high-pass crossover between the receiver and the speakers? Most of the crossovers I see seem to be for car audio applications. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Won't this help enough? See below, I just bought this receiver to run 3 sets of speakers with a Sonos system and I love the fact it has digital inputs and outputs, and the reviews have been pretty good. My only issue with HK lately is there software is horrible on there HT receivers, the last good one they made was there 525 series.

Bass Control: Turn the knob clockwise to boost low-frequency output by up to 10dB, or counterclockwise to cut low-frequency output by up to 10dB. Set the control to suit your taste and room acoustics.

Note: To use the Bass, Treble or Balance Controls, gently press the knob until it unlatches. When finished, press the knob again to lock it.

That is from their manual, but not sure how much play that gives you on bass output as the crossover is most likely set by HK on this receiver internally unless there is a OSD that allows for more internal adjustments and with this unit I don't see it. Page 15 and 30 of the manual go into some detail of Subwoofer Trigger Output and Operation which I could see being an issue if you don't have it set right with 2 subs connected.

I for one had similar situation as I have a pair of deck speakers that can handle the bass, but my in-ceiling speakers can't handle as much, so I just use the knob for bass to turn it down on the front of the receiver when I want to crank them up more. Now this would be one hellofa Stereo receiver if they allowed bass management controls via a OSD just like there HT receivers. But for under $300 bucks, it does what it does.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-14-2012, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post

Bass Control: Turn the knob clockwise to boost low-frequency output by up to 10dB, or counterclockwise to cut low-frequency output by up to 10dB. Set the control to suit your taste and room acoustics.

Note: To use the Bass, Treble or Balance Controls, gently press the knob until it unlatches. When finished, press the knob again to lock it.

Yeah, I'm fairly familiar with the bass knob but that doesn't really help me. If I mess with it, it'll cut some low end frequencies to my subs (in addition to the speakers), and I don't want that. I want full bass going to the subs. I just don't want it going to the mains. Any HT receiver can manage this, but most stereo receivers such as this 3490 cannot. I guess I'll just have to keep the overall volume down a bit so that I don't blow my speakers.

Quote:

and I love the fact it has digital inputs and outputs,

A little OT, but I'm not sure what value this brings. Using digital inputs makes sense for movies (5.1/7.1 surround sound), but not much for stereo. And this receiver is still fairly low end as far as bells and whistles go, so it doesn't have particularly great DACs. You may actually get better sound quality by utilizing the DACs in your Sonos instead, or by adding an external DAC.

post #6 of 10 Old 02-14-2012, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7874 View Post

Yeah, I'm fairly familiar with the bass knob but that doesn't really help me. If I mess with it, it'll cut some low end frequencies to my subs (in addition to the speakers), and I don't want that. I want full bass going to the subs. I just don't want it going to the mains. Any HT receiver can manage this, but most stereo receivers such as this 3490 cannot. I guess I'll just have to keep the overall volume down a bit so that I don't blow my speakers.

A little OT, but I'm not sure what value this brings. Using digital inputs makes sense for movies (5.1/7.1 surround sound), but not much for stereo. And this receiver is still fairly low end as far as bells and whistles go, so it doesn't have particularly great DACs. You may actually get better sound quality by utilizing the DACs in your Sonos instead, or by adding an external DAC.

I should have put the because I was trying to being sarcastic, sorry. I agree with you, I would love bass management with this unit. The digital inputs help me greatly as I will be hooking up a Mac Mini and Sonos system which works much better off the digital end of things. Mine is for a whole house audio system for a Lake House, so I want quality but not the quality of some of the high end gear I use at home, which consist of Dynaudio Speakers and Musical Fidelity etc.. The Sonos Dac maybe better and a good external dac is not out of the question, but I won't be spending a ton of time up here, so inexpensive and good if you can use those two words in the same sentence.

Funny thing is I was thinking of just using a 5.1/7.1 receiver and running it in 5.1 Stereo mode, you can still set the cross over frequency and control the bass better with a HT receiver.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-14-2012, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

Won't this help enough? See below, I just bought this receiver to run 3 sets of speakers with a Sonos system and I love the fact it has digital inputs and outputs, and the reviews have been pretty good. My only issue with HK lately is there software is horrible on there HT receivers, the last good one they made was there 525 series.

That is from their manual, but not sure how much play that gives you on bass output as the crossover is most likely set by HK on this receiver internally unless there is a OSD that allows for more internal adjustments and with this unit I don't see it. Page 15 and 30 of the manual go into some detail of Subwoofer Trigger Output and Operation which I could see being an issue if you don't have it set right with 2 subs connected.

I for one had similar situation as I have a pair of deck speakers that can handle the bass, but my in-ceiling speakers can't handle as much, so I just use the knob for bass to turn it down on the front of the receiver when I want to crank them up more. Now this would be one hellofa Stereo receiver if they allowed bass management controls via a OSD just like there HT receivers. But for under $300 bucks, it does what it does.

HK3390/3490 does't have an audio DSP so it is impossible to incorporate a Bass Manager..
Like virtually all of the competitive stereo receivers as well..

Just my $0.02...
post #8 of 10 Old 02-14-2012, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Funny thing is I was thinking of just using a 5.1/7.1 receiver and running it in 5.1 Stereo mode, you can still set the cross over frequency and control the bass better with a HT receiver.

Yeah, in hindsight, I should have bought an HT receiver instead of this 3490. It would have solved some problems, alas the extra power of the 3490 comes in handy, too, as I have a lot of volume to fill.

post #9 of 10 Old 02-14-2012, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

HK3390/3490 does't have an audio DSP so it is impossible to incorporate a Bass Manager..
Like virtually all of the competitive stereo receivers as well..

Just my $0.02...

Just wishful thinking on my end. I was going to go the HT route but I have had really bad luck with HK over the past couple of years with HT receivers. I think I will be fine for what I will be using it for. Thanks for info.

Pete7874:

I will be using this with a pair of PSB CS1000 outdoor speakers and a pair of Polk Ceiling speakers and another pair of Polk Atrium speakers for outside. I wanted some thing that could push some decent volume out to the lake.
post #10 of 10 Old 02-14-2012, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:

Would something like this be decent enough?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...umber=248-4708

I don't want to spend too much and I need something with RCA connections. Absolute top-notch quality is not necessary as this is in my unfinished basement where acoustics are fairly poor to begin with. With that said, I don't want to degrade the quality further too much if I can help it.

Sure. This would work fine.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page