Integra/Onkyo Owners - Preferred Listening Modes? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 02-13-2012, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I picked up an Integra 50.2 around Christmas time and it's been fantastic so far. I upgraded from an entry level onkyo that was 6 or 7 years old. The one thing I've been trying to figure out is all of the listening modes and which ones work best. I've read through the manual 3 or 4 times trying to tell the differences between each of them, but it doesn't seem to help much. So I end up switching between the different ones trying to determine which one I like best. I haven't really been able to come to a determination, so I wanted to get some other people's opinions. I've already set the Audyssey.

My uses are tv/movie watching (90%) and music listening (10%). For 2-ch music, I have it set to Stereo by default. It's the tv/movie modes that I struggle with. I've had them both set to THX Cinema by default, but it seems that in this mode, the surround effects are very subdued, and the overall volume is significantly quieter. I've been switching back and forth between this and PLIIx Movie, and i've found that the surround sound is much more pronounced and the overall sound is a lot louder (i.e. "normal" listening volume at ~30 vs 50 in the THX modes). I'm not sure which one I prefer more.

Is there a benefit of one over another? Is THX mode a more accurate reproduction of the original mix, compared to PLIIx? Which do you guys prefer on your systems?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-14-2012, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You did not specify your speaker configuration (5.1, 7.1, 7.2, etc). But with my 5.2 configuration, for TV watching I think its on Dolby D most of the time. For movies (non-blu ray) I usually listen to PLIIx Movie. For music, depending on if I am doing critical listening (Stereo mode), if not then I like PLII Music or All Channel Stereo.

FWIW...

Too many toys
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page