Sherwood Newcastle A-965 or Emotiva XPA-5? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 02-14-2012, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
jslaw81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Atlanta,GA
Posts: 314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Currently have a Sherwood Newcastle A-965 amp with an Integra DHC-80.2. I'm thinking about getting an Emotiva XPA-5 and xlr connectors and selling the Sherwood. I'm not necessarily looking for more power just more clarity in the sound. Any thoughts? Thanks
jslaw81 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 Old 02-14-2012, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Theresa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jslaw81 View Post

Currently have a Sherwood Newcastle A-965 amp with an Integra DHC-80.2. I'm thinking about getting an Emotiva XPA-5 and xlr connectors and selling the Sherwood. I'm not necessarily looking for more power just more clarity in the sound. Any thoughts? Thanks

"Clarity" is more likely to be improved by better speakers not a different amp. But I don't know anything about Sherwood.
Theresa is offline  
post #3 of 17 Old 02-14-2012, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DonH50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Monument CO
Posts: 6,188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 282
The Emotiva offers more power but the extra 3 dB or so is unlikely to matter for "clarity", whatever that is.

What speakers do you have, how far away do you sit, and how large is your room?

My guess is room treatment would be a better investment...

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
DonH50 is offline  
post #4 of 17 Old 02-14-2012, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
jslaw81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Atlanta,GA
Posts: 314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have Goldenear Triton two towers, Supersat 50c center and Supersat 50 rears. I sit 8 or 9 feet from the front speakers. My room is a pretty big room. I've had some grounding issues with the amp and processor that I've solved. Just wonder if the Emotiva would play nicer with my Integra. Probably not worth the extra money. Room treatments would probably be good.
jslaw81 is offline  
post #5 of 17 Old 02-14-2012, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
KidHorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Derwood, Maryland
Posts: 2,936
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 225
I think it would be a downgrade. If the sherwood is working, I would hang on to it. Plus it has 7 channels as opposed to 5.
KidHorn is offline  
post #6 of 17 Old 02-14-2012, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
jslaw81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Atlanta,GA
Posts: 314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

I think it would be a downgrade. If the sherwood is working, I would hang on to it. Plus it has 7 channels as opposed to 5.

True.. The extra 2 channels gives me future options. The Sherwood works fine just had some grounding issues with my Integra dhc-80.2. It's fine now that I got them grounded.
jslaw81 is offline  
post #7 of 17 Old 02-14-2012, 06:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 484
I have the Boston Acoustics A7200 which is a clone of the A-965. One of the first amps I had was the A7200 and then I went on an amp buying spree. I have owned amps by Parasound, Sherbourn, Bel Canto, NHT, Outlaw and Emotiva. After all these amps I found another A7200 used for a great price. I have had it for several years and have no plans to replace it. The XPA-5 has more power but I doubt it will sound any better than the A-965. Money spent on room treatments would be the wiser investment IMO.

I only have a 5.1 system and use the two additional channels for Zone2. Unless you have issues with noise the XLR connections are not going to improve SQ. So I would suggest staying with the A-965 as I feel it is an excellent amp.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

 

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is offline  
post #8 of 17 Old 02-14-2012, 08:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
MichaelJHuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 18,924
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Not sure why that would be better. If you want to spend money, maybe consider buying/building some bass traps? (If you room is not treated)

"But this one goes up to 11"
MichaelJHuman is offline  
post #9 of 17 Old 02-15-2012, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
jslaw81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Atlanta,GA
Posts: 314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I just ordered a few acoustic panels to put in my room.. So I'm going to keep the Sherwood for now I think.
jslaw81 is offline  
post #10 of 17 Old 12-07-2012, 01:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rboster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 17,652
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Curious if anyone has compared the Sherwood to the Emotiva. I've read one review online from a fellow AVS member's blog that found the Sherwood's soundfloor to be terrific. I would love to hear from the OP or others that may have experience with both amps.

Thanks
Ron

PS: I currently have the Emotiva amp
rboster is offline  
post #11 of 17 Old 12-07-2012, 03:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post

Curious if anyone has compared the Sherwood to the Emotiva. I've read one review online from a fellow AVS member's blog that found the Sherwood's soundfloor to be terrific. I would love to hear from the OP or others that may have experience with both amps.
Thanks
Ron
PS: I currently have the Emotiva amp

Ron,

If you can find the A965 for a good price grab one. As I posted earlier in this thread I have a Boston Acoustics A7200 which is a clone of the A-965. I love this amp and (knock on wood) I have had no issues with it. Last year there were new A-965s on Amazon for I believe $599 shipped. I almost grabbed one for a back up amp but decided against it. There are very few reviews on the A-965 so it is hard to get a feel that way. The A-965 is a heavy, well built, dead quiet and a great amp. Go for it smile.gif!

http://seriousaudioblog.blogspot.com/2012/04/thoughts-on-amplifiers-generally-and.html#!/2012/04/thoughts-on-amplifiers-generally-and.html

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

 

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is offline  
post #12 of 17 Old 12-08-2012, 07:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rboster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 17,652
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Ron,
If you can find the A965 for a good price grab one. As I posted earlier in this thread I have a Boston Acoustics A7200 which is a clone of the A-965. I love this amp and (knock on wood) I have had no issues with it. Last year there were new A-965s on Amazon for I believe $599 shipped. I almost grabbed one for a back up amp but decided against it. There are very few reviews on the A-965 so it is hard to get a feel that way. The A-965 is a heavy, well built, dead quiet and a great amp. Go for it smile.gif!
http://seriousaudioblog.blogspot.com/2012/04/thoughts-on-amplifiers-generally-and.html#!/2012/04/thoughts-on-amplifiers-generally-and.html
Bill

Thanks Bill. I appreciate the feedback.
rboster is offline  
post #13 of 17 Old 12-08-2012, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DS-21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,499
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 213
I'm glad you guys found some use from my blog post. Though I wish I had been able to get mine for just $600!

FWIW, I'd consider trading out my A-965 for sure for only three amps: McIntosh MC207, (assuming five channels was sufficient) Anthem Statement A5, and (assuming I could put it in another room) another ElectroVoice CPS-8.5. (I use one to drive my subwoofers. It's really an incredible piece: rated 500W/ch/4Ω/all 8 channels driven, Class D, made in Germany, and just 2RU tall. It does have two fans, though.)

The Sunfire TG-whatever is interesting on paper too, given its incredible headroom and efficiency (enough to make all that power and still carry NRTL electrical safety certification), but I'd have to be convinced by listening that its crossover distortion is as low as the A-965's. I've also never done my noise test on one. But on paper it's an interesting amp.

Another amp interesting on paper but that I don't have experience with is the "LexiCrown" (Lexicon DD-8/Crown CT8150 near-twins). I don't know how the output filter is implemented in the Harman Drivecore amps, but 125W x 8 channels in 1RU for under 10lbs with no fans is quite an achievement! That's one I'll probably buy at some point to compare with the A-965. And if it's not audibly worse, 1RU and 10lbs beats massive hulk and 80-odd pounds any day of the week!

But anything less than those amps would be a lateral move at best, and more likely a step backwards. Even the Mac and Anthem Statement two are unlikely to provide one anything except better looks and a tiny bit more headroom. Keep in mind that Dr. Rich recently called the A-965 "still state-of-the-art."

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Multichannel music (and video) urban loft living room system 
DS-21 is offline  
post #14 of 17 Old 12-03-2013, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
muzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: MA. USA
Posts: 2,254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I have the Boston Acoustics A7200 which is a clone of the A-965. One of the first amps I had was the A7200 and then I went on an amp buying spree. I have owned amps by Parasound, Sherbourn, Bel Canto, NHT, Outlaw and Emotiva. After all these amps I found another A7200 used for a great price. I have had it for several years and have no plans to replace it. The XPA-5 has more power but I doubt it will sound any better than the A-965. Money spent on room treatments would be the wiser investment IMO.


I only have a 5.1 system and use the two additional channels for Zone2. Unless you have issues with noise the XLR connections are not going to improve SQ. So I would suggest staying with the A-965 as I feel it is an excellent amp
.


Bill

I remember that Parasound amp you had.....not sure it sounds any better than MY A7200......... smile.gif

I want MY Cigarettes, MINE Nurse Ratched!!
Screen Pics
muzz is offline  
post #15 of 17 Old 12-03-2013, 06:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz View Post

I remember that Parasound amp you had.....not sure it sounds any better than MY A7200......... smile.gif

Hey Muzz,

Long time since I've seen you post. Hope all is well smile.gif. I never did any type of decent comparison of the A52 to the A7200. I doubt there would be much if any audible difference between the two. My memory is not the best, did I sell my first A7200 to you?

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

 

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is offline  
post #16 of 17 Old 12-04-2013, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
muzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: MA. USA
Posts: 2,254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Hey Muzz,

Long time since I've seen you post. Hope all is well smile.gif. I never did any type of decent comparison of the A52 to the A7200. I doubt there would be much if any audible difference between the two. My memory is not the best, did I sell my first A7200 to you?

Bill

Yes, that's how I remember the Parasound, I picked up the 7200 at your house, and listened to your system for a few...
You had the Dyn. Focus speakers, with the outlaw(I think) sub(on the left), and the newly aquired Parasound amp.
I think we listened to Dyre Straits IIRC

Everything is going good here, I hope all is well on your end.

Gary

I want MY Cigarettes, MINE Nurse Ratched!!
Screen Pics
muzz is offline  
post #17 of 17 Old 12-04-2013, 06:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz View Post

Yes, that's how I remember the Parasound, I picked up the 7200 at your house, and listened to your system for a few...
You had the Dyn. Focus speakers, with the outlaw(I think) sub(on the left), and the newly aquired Parasound amp.
I think we listened to Dyre Straits IIRC

Everything is going good here, I hope all is well on your end.

Gary

Hey Gary.

Wow redface.gif!!! That shows how bad my memory is. All that "good" living in my early years has taken its toll eek.gif. But now that you reminded me I do recall you coming to the house to pickup the A7200. I'm glad to hear the A7200 is serving you well. They are great amps without a doubt. At least you have a good memory as I did have the Focus 140s and the Outlaw LFM-1 sub (on the left). My system is totally changed and I'm real happy with the way it sounds smile.gif.

I'm glad all is well down "south" smile.gif.

Here is a picture of my room in it's present form.



Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

 

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off