Recommendation for a receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 02-18-2012, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Need a new receiver for my Media Room that is under construction.

I have an old Kenwood, but its dated and one of the speaker channels is toast.

The room is 17' x 20', so I definately need decent power.
Multi zone so I can set up speakers outside on the patio.
Something that is "pretty" to look at (got to keep the wife happy).
Needs to be durable. Since I like to have ALL the electronics run through the receiver, its always going to be on. To take care of the heat, I will be installing cooling fans in the cabinet.

Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon? I notice these brands on here alot. Is it the price? Quality? I was leaning towards Harmon Kardon, but bottom line I want something good.

Top price would be around $800 hopefully. That will leave me about $1200 for the speaker package (which I still have to figure that out too).

Thanx guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 02-18-2012, 07:38 AM

Stereo receiver - I am looking hard at Yamaha's R-S700
post #3 of 26 Old 02-18-2012, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 774
I like HK for 2 channel receivers, but I think their current multichannel units are lacking in features and overall quality. The denon 3311/12 and onkyo 709/809's are what I would look at given your price range.

edit-for overall "sexiness" check out the marantz line, something like the SR5006 would be nice.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
LOL!
Why you wouldn't want to join this forum
post #4 of 26 Old 02-18-2012, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOA cakaroash View Post

Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon?

Hello

The Onkyo 809 offers a lot of bang for the buck. You can catch it for around $700 if do some searching. I have it and the Denon 1912 and like both of them.

oz
post #5 of 26 Old 02-18-2012, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozar View Post

Hello

The Onkyo 809 offers a lot of bang for the buck. You can catch it for around $700 if do some searching. I have it and the Denon 1912 and like both of them.

+2 on the 809. Nice receiver with lots of power.

Jeff
post #6 of 26 Old 02-18-2012, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 243
I would vote for the Onkyo 709, which has all the power anyone can use plus a full set of preamp outputs should an external amplifier ever be needed. Amazon has it now for $535.

You should use the extra money for the best-possible speakers.

A great deal right now for some really good-sounding floorstanding front speakers is the Monitor Audio M6 speakers for under $500.

You could get the receiver and those 2 speakers and have some nice sound now and take further steps later to fill it out.

Quote:

Needs to be durable. Since I like to have ALL the electronics run through the receiver, its always going to be on. To take care of the heat, I will be installing cooling fans in the cabinet.

Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon? I notice these brands on here alot. Is it the price? Quality? I was leaning towards Harmon Kardon, but bottom line I want something good.

Top price would be around $800 hopefully. That will leave me about $1200 for the speaker package (which I still have to figure that out too).

Thanx guys.

post #7 of 26 Old 02-18-2012, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

Thanx guys.

Harman Kardon Stereo Receivers are excellent, but there current HT receivers are horrible as they are usually plagued with software issues that prevent them from working well. 525 series was the last series I liked from them as far as HT receivers go.

Denon/Yamaha/Onkyo: I actually have one one of each... Denon 1712 is a very good model, the Yamaha RX-V667 is good and has HDMI input on front which I like. I have an older Onkyo 705 and I do like the 609/709/809. You can't go wrong with any of those three, another good one is Marantz.
post #8 of 26 Old 02-18-2012, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, etc, they're all good. But also consider the Pioneer 1021/1121. Pioneers run so cool they don't need a fan. Newegg has the 1121 for $449 shipped and decent prices on other Pioneer's like the 821 $329 - $140 Promo code and the 921 for $299. The 1021 was $349 but it looks like it's back up to $549.
post #9 of 26 Old 02-18-2012, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Don't get me wrong, I don't own an Onkyo and never have. But I have read much about their having numerous firmware issues that Onkyo either doesn't fix or is extremely slow to fix. Many claim to stay away from them. Just something I have read on several BD/AVR threads

With HDMI handshake and Bluray required updates becoming more and more frequent I would not own a receiver today that cannot be updated either via your network or USB etc. I'm a Yamaha, Pioneer and Denon guy myself. In that order of precedence. Denons are great but need to be sent in for firmware updates - that's highly inconvenient to say the least. From personal experience Yamaha's have been the least "buggy" not to mention can be updated by the user.

Just something I would seriously recommend/consider when researching an AVR.

On that note, spend the extra for/with "networking" capability. You may not be thinking of it now yet it will give you a few options you will definitely want to use later.

Cheers

Love DIY
post #10 of 26 Old 02-18-2012, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSmitty View Post

Don't get me wrong, I don't own an Onkyo and never have. But I have read much about their having numerous firmware issues that Onkyo either doesn't fix or is extremely slow to fix. Many claim to stay away from them. Just something I have read on several BD/AVR threads

With HDMI handshake and Bluray required updates becoming more and more frequent I would not own a receiver today that cannot be updated either via your network or USB etc. I'm a Yamaha, Pioneer and Denon guy myself. In that order of precedence. Denons are great but need to be sent in for firmware updates - that's highly inconvenient to say the least. From personal experience Yamaha's have been the least "buggy" not to mention can be updated by the user.

On that note, spend the extra for/with "networking" capability. You may not be thinking of it now yet it will give you a few options you will definitely want to use later.

Cheers

Most receivers can be updated know a days without having to send them in. gene also pointed out Pioneer which I have had in the past, very good units for the money. Plus, I believe they have more digital/in and digital outs as more receivers are relying on HDMI for both Audio/Video.
post #11 of 26 Old 02-18-2012, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post

Most receivers can be updated know a days without having to send them in. gene also pointed out Pioneer which I have had in the past, very good units for the money. Plus, I believe they have more digital/in and digital outs as more receivers are relying on HDMI for both Audio/Video.

True, and easy, user able firmware updates are a must. Just something one needs to research and ensure that it's a capability etc. Been a while since I owned a Denon, I stopped looking due to the "send-in" update issue. I thought even the new models remained the same, if not good for Denon in changing that requirement.

HDMI input numbers are important but you only need what you need. But very true, given the ever increasing copyright issues HDMI is going to be the only connection for video thus audio as well. I wouldn't purchase an AVR that didn't have an HDMI input for each supported source etc. In his description of use, multiple HDMI "outputs" might be a must and something to consider as well.

Love DIY
post #12 of 26 Old 02-18-2012, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

True, and easy, user able firmware updates are a must. Just something one needs to research and ensure that it's a capability etc. Been a while since I owned a Denon, I stopped looking due to the "send-in" update issue. I thought even the new models remained the same, if not good for Denon in changing that requirement.

HDMI input numbers are important but you only need what you need. But very true, given the ever increasing copyright issues HDMI is going to be the only connection for video thus audio as well. I wouldn't purchase an AVR that didn't have an HDMI input for each supported source etc. In his description of use, multiple HDMI "outputs" might be a must and something to consider as well.

Good points, having more than one HDMI output, narrows the field quite a bit. I am using a Maranatz 7005 which has been very good so far. Only thing I hate is the display on the front of the unit is way too small. Otherwise it's been a solid performer. I went with the Denon 1712 for my upstairs system as I am just using a sound bar and a Sub for now. I am using a Yamaha 667 system with my Apple/PC system.
post #13 of 26 Old 02-19-2012, 02:01 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 1327
Quote:

Denons are great but need to be sent in for firmware updates - that's highly inconvenient to say the least.

Denon "networking" models have always been user firmware upgradeable and with last year's models that feature moved down to the 1912 which is likely below the level the OP is looking for so no issues with the higher "CI" networking level models. Also note that beginning with the Denon XX13 models to be released beginning May/June, the lower level models will be user firmware upgradable via a USB jack as well.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #14 of 26 Old 02-19-2012, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input.

The more I read about HK, the less I want it.
Yesterday I looked at Yamaha YHT-B6710. Its a package but I can buy receiver only for $600 canadian. So far Yamaha has me very impressed. Especially with the 2 zone seperate control feature and the number of inputs. Plus the sound bypass is nice for the wife.

A different store for same price had RXV671. I notice its ranked #2 on toptenreview.com
I dont know if thats a good site to read from though.

Networking capability? Plugging the receiver into the internet? Is it sort of standard/important or just a "unimportant" feature? How important is it to upgrade the firmware?
post #15 of 26 Old 02-19-2012, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 114
Quote:

Cheers

Moot points - he's looking for a 2 channel receiver.

post #16 of 26 Old 02-19-2012, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

I recently went through the same exercise and chose a slightly different route. Since my requirement was for a networked multi-zone 2 channel receiver, preferably with onboard streaming services, it narrowed down the choices (unless venturing into AVR) a good bit. I also need a receiver that would power 4 ohm speakers. I decided on the Onkyo TX-8050 and picked up a used Anthem MCA-2 amp to drive speakers.

Total cost was about $650, and I doubt any receiver alone can touch this setup.

Edit: I might also add, the Onkyo android and ios apps are great for remote usage. My equipment is in a closet, the Anthem powers on automatically. It's the perfect setup for my wife and I.

It's very important to upgrade the firmware (with some advance research to ensure it doesn't break features important to you). The onkyo out of the box had issues, after the firmware upgrade its fine.

post #17 of 26 Old 02-19-2012, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the input.

The more I read about HK, the less I want it.
Yesterday I looked at Yamaha YHT-B6710. Its a package but I can buy receiver only for $600 canadian. So far Yamaha has me very impressed. Especially with the 2 zone seperate control feature and the number of inputs. Plus the sound bypass is nice for the wife.

A different store for same price had RXV671. I notice its ranked #2 on toptenreview.com
I dont know if thats a good site to read from though.

Networking capability? Plugging the receiver into the internet? Is it sort of standard/important or just a "unimportant" feature? How important is it to upgrade the firmware?

The Yamaha RX line is great. I would even shop around for an RX-V871. I've seen them on sale for $500 US$. It has numerous assignable inputs and two HDMI outputs, not to mention full networking capability.

The more sophisticated the AVR, the more likelihood it could need a firmware update. I run a slightly older Yamaha RX-Z11 (love the thing) and its only had three (if I remember correctly) firmware updates. One of which however was very important to me. Deepening on your use you may never have a specific issue requiring it. However, manufacturers are using firmware updates more and more to speed up the marketing process, thus my comments above where I wouldn't own a component without the capability.

It is very rare to find a device today that can't be updated. It just depends on how it can be done. But as Garman and JD mentioned above, once you get above the lower end gear, most all are capable and can be done either by the user or automatically if they have an Internet connection.

As for the Internet/network connection. Do you listen to Pandora or Rapsody (Internet music streaming)? if so a network capable AVR can be capable of accessing Internet music streaming all by itself. You can also reach out and stream music from your home computer if on a network etc. Very handy capability.

Cheers

Love DIY
post #18 of 26 Old 02-19-2012, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

Moot points - he's looking for a 2 channel receiver.

Are you psychic or something? :-)
Nothing in the OPs post nor his subsequent post mentioned two channel only...?

Cheers

Love DIY
post #19 of 26 Old 02-19-2012, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Cheers

Well, the receiver on Ebay he linked is a two-channel receiver. He may not have understood this limitation, however.

Edit: Oops, that wasn't the OP who linked it. Sorry.
post #20 of 26 Old 02-19-2012, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

I'd start looking at the Denon 1712s and work your way up from there. The 1712 and 2112 and up have MultEq Xt, which will Eq a subwoofer. Unless you have the ability to externally eq a sub, not having sub eq would be a deal breaker for me.

This link is a good place to start understanding the differences between Denon models.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1334369
post #21 of 26 Old 02-20-2012, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

So far the Yamaha RX-V671 is winning the fight. All info I read is good to great stuff.

Plus the price is awesome. Locally its around $600, but I talked to Electronics Expo and I can have it for a little less than $420 with shipping.

That helps to free up a bit more money for the speakers.
post #22 of 26 Old 02-20-2012, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Cheers

You may be right, as "media room" is as clear as mud. I went by subsequent posts and the outrageous assumption that were this for surround configuration it would actually be called a home theater room.

post #23 of 26 Old 02-20-2012, 12:32 PM

I have gone through 3 809's 2 were DOA 1 died on me while I was updating it. I say stay away from the 809...but thats me....
post #24 of 26 Old 02-24-2012, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Pioneer Elite VSX-50

Thats a new possibility. But I cant find much info online for it.

Salesman told me that unless I get into a high end receiver, I will not be able to have 7.1 inside, and different 2 channel in a seperate zone. I thought the Yamaha could do this. Am I understanding things wrong?
post #25 of 26 Old 02-24-2012, 04:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 351
yeah its tough finding a receiver that will run 9 speakers internally at the same time.

According to the RX-V671 manual, when you enable Zone 2, the surround back speakers in the main area will not put out any sound. (pg69). So you'll only have 5.1 inside while running 2 speakers outside.

You can get the 671 manual here.
http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchf.../022RXV671.PDF

The VSX-50 isn't going to allow that either. That's not as full featured as the VSX-1121.

Afro GT
post #26 of 26 Old 02-24-2012, 05:33 PM

+2 for the 1121 or you can take a look at the vsx-53 if you perfer the elite models of the regular model 1121
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page