Looking to upgrade from Denon 1910 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 02-20-2012, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My fronts are not the most efficient and the Denon 1910(90wx7.1) needs to be driven rather hard for movies. I'd like something with a little more beef and maybe a slightly better EQ.
I'd like to stay under $900 if possible. Open to suggestions.
I do love my Denon, but more power and possibly an upgraded multi Eq is what I am after.
2 sub outs would be ok, but not needed....3D pass is even less important.
TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-20-2012, 08:09 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S View Post

My fronts are not the most efficient and the Denon 1910(90wx7.1) needs to be driven rather hard for movies. I'd like something with a little more beef and maybe a slightly better EQ.
I'd like to stay under $900 if possible. Open to suggestions.
I do love my Denon, but more power and possibly an upgraded multi Eq is what I am after.
2 sub outs would be ok, but not needed....3D pass is even less important.
TIA!

How about just getting an amp and driving your LCR from that? The Emotiva XPA-3 would work.

I suspect receivers under 900 will probably suffer from similar amp section limitations, and therefore won't be that great an upgrade. That said, Onkyo has some receivers with a bit more grunt in that budget that you could consider.

If you do get the amp, you can keep it even after future receiver upgrades, and remove that constraint from your setup permanently.

EDIT: Nevermind.. your receiver has no pre-outs.. I'd say look at the onkyos then.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-20-2012, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I could get a lower priced AVR that has pre-outs say the Denon 1912/Onkyo/Pioneer equiv...but only if there are any viable alternatives to the XPA-3 that cost less?
post #4 of 11 Old 02-20-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S View Post

I could get a lower priced AVR that has pre-outs say the Denon 1912/Onkyo/Pioneer equiv...but only if there are any viable alternatives to the XPA-3 that cost less?

What speakers do you have? You could also consider investing the $900 into higher efficiency speakers.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-20-2012, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I could, but I have fallen in love with identical fronts and I don't have any desire to buy towers. So bookshelves that are unique.
I am not able to handle bright/forward/fatiguing speakers. I actually need rolled off highs.
I own AV123 Onix X-ls (x5).
post #6 of 11 Old 02-20-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanhoek View Post

What speakers do you have? You could also consider investing the $900 into higher efficiency speakers.

Look here: http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=...s=Receiver&p=f

The problem is that the receivers around that range are all about 100-120wpc... that's not too much gain from your current 90wpc, all else being equal.

You could also try to look on the used market, as some higher powered units can become available at that price range.

May just be easier to get new higher efficiency speakers, unless you have some really really high end speakers that just happen to not be very efficient.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-20-2012, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I do like Denon's SQ.
post #8 of 11 Old 02-21-2012, 02:52 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 1374
Unless the master volume is above 0db, it's unlikely a slightly higher powered AVR (eg. 120W) is going to make any difference. What sub do you have in the mix and what are the speaker crossovers? At 87db, those speakers are not that inefficient. Also not sure how much of an improvement you would hear upgrading from MultEQ to MultEQ XT with those speakers. Also depends on whether you want networking or not ... the 1712 (non-networking) uses MultEQ XT and the 2112CI (networking) uses MultEQ XT. If you don't want networking, wait on the new XX13 models (May/June) which will be firmware updatable via USB.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #9 of 11 Old 02-21-2012, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Unless the master volume is above 0db, it's unlikely a slightly higher powered AVR (eg. 120W) is going to make any difference. What sub do you have in the mix and what are the speaker crossovers? At 87db, those speakers are not that inefficient. Also not sure how much of an improvement you would hear upgrading from MultEQ to MultEQ XT with those speakers. Also depends on whether you want networking or not ... the 1712 (non-networking) uses MultEQ XT and the 2112CI (networking) uses MultEQ XT. If you don't want networking, wait on the new XX13 models (May/June) which will be firmware updatable via USB.

SVS PB12-NSD on its' way now. I will cross between 80Hz-100Hz depending on the content.
post #10 of 11 Old 02-21-2012, 07:20 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 1374
^^
If you currently don't have a sub, then adding the SVS will likely give you the additional headroom you're after.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #11 of 11 Old 02-21-2012, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have two 8"-150w Infinity subs currently. However, this was an issue in my last setup wit the x-ls in which I had a Tempest-X with a Behringer EP2500, so I'm not sure the PB12-NSD will give me that upper bass kick.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page