NAD T-187 HDMI/Analog Issues - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 02-21-2012, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just purchased a NAD T-187 and am having major issues with HDMI/Analog/Optical inputs. If I am watching a BD via my Oppo BD-93 and switch to an analog input (say listen to music), switch back to the BD, the NAD loses ability to pick up the digital signal. I can turn it on/off and still no digital signal. The only way to watch movies again is to turn off the BD player, restart it and then try to find where I left off.

I was curious if anyone has had anything similar? I tried switching from analog audio to optical audio and same thing, it just will not pick up digital signal.

I called my local dealer who will not accept returns (complete BS), so I am looking for help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 02-21-2012, 06:44 PM

Liked: 10
Assuming your BD is connected via HDMI, it sounds like an HDMI handshake issue. Maybe try a different HDMI cable to see if it makes any difference? Are you running the latest firmware on the Oppo?

I have a T-187 that should be arriving on Friday and I will be using an Oppo BDP-83 with it so really hoping I don't run into the same issue!

If you haven't already, I would inquire about this over on the NAD Salon as well:
http://nadelectronics.com/salon

post #3 of 21 Old 02-21-2012, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks.....I had thought it may be the HDMI cable, but I have replaced and still no luck. I had inquired to NAD and they said to try different inputs to see what happens - what happened was the same results.

I really think that I got a bum product starting with the dead remote. I should have known better when the dealer didnt want to deal with the remote....

Tomorrow is going to be interesting when I try to return it
post #4 of 21 Old 02-21-2012, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by hays0023 View Post

Thanks.....I had thought it may be the HDMI cable, but I have replaced and still no luck. I had inquired to NAD and they said to try different inputs to see what happens - what happened was the same results.

I really think that I got a bum product starting with the dead remote. I should have known better when the dealer didnt want to deal with the remote....

Tomorrow is going to be interesting when I try to return it

If it is a new product, the dealer has to accept a return! You can complain to NAD directly because they have certain rules in order to be an authorized dealer. I have the T775HD with an upgraded VM150 card. I believe the 187 has the VM150 and AM200 as well. That is the same setup I have with my T775HD and everything is working perfectly on my end.
post #5 of 21 Old 02-24-2012, 07:25 PM

How did it go with returning it to the dealer? My T-187 arrived today so I will be setting it up over the weekend. I'll report back on whether or not I run into any issues.

post #6 of 21 Old 02-24-2012, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

If NAD won't make him return it so you can get your money back try contacting The better business bureau. www.bbb.org/
I wonder if he has done this to other customers not returning items. Maybe the local news would be interested in his shady practices.
I found this old post about someone saying that his NAD Dealer wouldn't let him test or return anything either.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1320765

he said It's expensive upgrade and I have no chance to test before buying nor try and return since my local Rotel/Nad dealer won't accept return.
The dealer should accept returns. Some have a 15 percent re stocking fee, but will accept returns. Call NAD Again and raise heck. Demand they make this right. That dealer should lose his license.
post #7 of 21 Old 02-25-2012, 02:32 AM

Basic install and setup complete. T-187 connected to Oppo BDP-83 via HDMI, analog, and coax. Also connected to a Motorola DVR via HDMI and a phono pre-amp via analog. No issues whatsoever with switching between HDMI, analog, and coax digital sources. Momentary delays as expected with quick signal lock in all cases. I am using Blue Jeans Cable HDMI cables. So far, not a single hiccup.

post #8 of 21 Old 02-25-2012, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

I wound up returning it and getting a Cary Cinema 12 at the same price. The dealer was extremely rude and after threating the BBB, etc...he gave me the floor Cary 12.

All I can say about the sound is....wow!
post #9 of 21 Old 03-28-2012, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Just curious if anyone knows. I just saw this:

http://www.ecoustics.com/electronics...ew/706034.html

So I gather it's pretty new.

But why does it have XT and not XT32?

If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ... Something old and something new :-)

post #10 of 21 Old 04-19-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timkeeler View Post

Basic install and setup complete. T-187 connected to Oppo BDP-83 via HDMI, analog, and coax. Also connected to a Motorola DVR via HDMI and a phono pre-amp via analog. No issues whatsoever with switching between HDMI, analog, and coax digital sources. Momentary delays as expected with quick signal lock in all cases. I am using Blue Jeans Cable HDMI cables. So far, not a single hiccup.

Hi timkeeler, how is the T187 doing so far???? I'm looking for a pro and have thsi one under my sight along with rotel rsp1572.

Another option is the T175hd since have the same price of the t187.. But read in other forums all the issues that 175 had. Hoping that T187 had them resolve
post #11 of 21 Old 05-01-2012, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

A mildly OT ?, but don't see where else to ask:

Does the T187 and M15HD2 give OSD readout of volume and/or mode changes or is it only seen on the front panel. Thx.
post #12 of 21 Old 05-01-2012, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I have the NAD T775HD (which is in the same generation as the T175HD) and it shows volume changes, etc. and has no scaling.
post #13 of 21 Old 05-02-2012, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the info -- the site only mentions OSD for setup.

Quote:

But why does it have XT and not XT32?

Would like to know this too.
post #14 of 21 Old 06-11-2012, 01:49 PM

Anyone care to update their experiences with the NAD T187 pre-pro? I thinking about a refurb'd unit instead of an integra/5508
post #15 of 21 Old 12-25-2012, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Kal Robinson has a review of the T 187 in the Jan 2013 issue of Stereophile.
post #16 of 21 Old 12-26-2012, 07:44 PM

Mark thanks for the update. Nonthe question is nad with its traditionaal emphasis on sound quality or the onkoyo with the newest audessy
post #17 of 21 Old 04-07-2013, 01:00 AM

Hello, I'm new here, its my first post i guess, just wanted to share my experience with NAD T187 & T977 I have bought few days ago. I used to have Onkyo and got an amazing deal during GITEX in Dubai for 60% on these two NADs and without thinking I end up buying them. I always used to dream to have a Pre/Amp setup from one of these well known brands like NAD but wasn't able to afford it. With this deal, I finally managed to get my setup in place. Im connecting this to Jamo sc606 speakers which planning to swap soon and i need your recommendations on what can match these setup well. So far the performance is awesome, a totally different level than what i used to experience with av receivers Onkyos or Denons..etc. I'm so glad I made this decision and I highly recommend them.
abatsky likes this.
post #18 of 21 Old 04-22-2013, 10:06 PM

Hi - I'm new here and hoping someone can help me out with the T-187. I just purchased it about a week ago and am having issues with it when playing DTS HD Master Audio and Dolby True audio formats off of blu-ray. I have a Samsung BD-C6900 blu-ray player connected by HDMI to the T-187. Then HDMI from the T-187 to a Samsung PNC-8000 50" plasma. The blu-ray player came free with the TV when I purchased it in December 2010. Everything works fine except when I choose the "Bitstream (Audiophile)" option on the player to send the DTS HD MA and Dolby True formats to the T-187. Picture on the TV comes out fine, but audio stutters constantly. If I switch back to dolby digital or regular DTS, everything is fine. Only the lossless formats are affected. I have tried multiple HDMI cables and issue persists. I have been able to fix the issue a couple of times by removing the HDMI cable from the TV, waiting a few seconds and plugging it back in. I've also been able to fix it by skipping ahead a chapter on a blu-ray disc. I've tried turning off the CEC connection on all three units which doesn't help.

I'm thinking the issue is with the blu-ray player, but I'm not positive. I used to have the blu-ray player hooked up to the TV by HDMI with the audio out by optical to my old receiver (yamaha DSP-A1 - currently being used as the amp) and never had a problem. However, I never could use the DTS HD MA or Dolby True formats in this set up. Also, I never had an issue with the blu-ray reading a disc, but it now gives me an error when trying to play the new Eagles concert video from Australia quite a bit. Sometimes though it will load fine. Note though that I only just bought this disc recently after I got the T-187 hooked up. I also had the TV give me an error that it didn't support the resolution of the Disney WOW disc when I first loaded it after hooking up the T-187. Hasn't happened since, but never happened when the player was connected directly to the TV.

I'm leaning toward purchasing a new blu-ray player (OPPO BD-103 or Integra 30.3), but am worried I might still have the same issue. Has anyone used these players with the T-187? Or have any suggestions on what I can do to fix the issue? The fact that unplugging the HDMI cable from the TV can occassionally fix the issue has me a little worried as I'm hoping its not the TV and the T-187 that are having the connection issue. Thinking it could also be some sort of HDMI handshake issue, but haven't seen much useful information on the web about how to fix this except for trying different combinations of powering things up. That just seems kind of a waste to work through after spending so much on the T-187. I've read on another forum that some folks believe the blu-ray player I have has some issues outputting these formats that may be a cause of the issue which is another reason I think it might be it that is causing the problem. Just don't want to spend $500 on a new blu-ray player only to not have the issue get fixed.

Thanks in advance for any comments anyone may have.
post #19 of 21 Old 04-23-2013, 09:41 AM

have you updated your player to latest firmware?? usually these updated have a lot of fixes for such issues. At least to be sure its not the player.
post #20 of 21 Old 04-23-2013, 01:01 PM

Yep. I updated the firmware after the first time I had the problem and its still giving me trouble. In fact, I have to keep switching the wired connection to my router every couple of days as the player can't see the connection all of the time. Thought maybe a cable issue or router issue with this problem as well, but I've had no issues with my Apple TV connecting using any of the cables or router ports. This has been going on for about a year or so. Another reason I think it's the player causing the problem.
post #21 of 21 Old 04-05-2014, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by trum4pet View Post

Yep. I updated the firmware after the first time I had the problem and its still giving me trouble. In fact, I have to keep switching the wired connection to my router every couple of days as the player can't see the connection all of the time. Thought maybe a cable issue or router issue with this problem as well, but I've had no issues with my Apple TV connecting using any of the cables or router ports. This has been going on for about a year or so. Another reason I think it's the player causing the problem.

Can you help me how to update the software with the T187?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors