AudioSource amp quality? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 36 Old 02-22-2012, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
What is the overall perception of their amp quality? They seem to be half the price of Parasound, NAD, Adcom, or Emotiva with similar power ratings. Does that mean poor quality? What does AudioSource not have that the others do?

I'm looking for a fairly inexpensive (relative) amp to power a set of Jamo C603 (6 Ohm) bookshelf speakers in my half-finished basement, but at some point in the future I may want to power some C607 towers with this amp if I ever get to doing a proper HT setup down there. AudioSource AMP310 caught my eye. Am I going to regret it? Is there something else I should consider? I don't want to spend more than about $400.

FYI, I've never owned a dedicated amp before, so I'm a little green here. I am currently powering four 6-ohm bookshelf speakers with an HK-3490 receiver, but I'm a bit worried that I'm overloading it when cranked up, so I wanted to move two of those speakers over to this new Audiosource amp.

Thanks!

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real." - Abraham Lincoln

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 02-22-2012, 09:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 91
There's some Audio Source fans who frequent this forum. I have seen some complaints about them as well. Cheap binding posts, auto on features that don't work as expected...check out the reviews on Amazon.com on some of their amps.

Another relatively affordable option, if only needing two channels, is the Behringer A500 amp.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #3 of 36 Old 02-22-2012, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

There's some Audio Source fans who frequent this forum.

Are you saying I'm opening a can of worms?

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real." - Abraham Lincoln

post #4 of 36 Old 02-22-2012, 09:46 PM

Liked: 11
I own three AudioSource amplifiers and I have been very happy with them.

1 Amp Three
2 Amp 7T

I do not have any problems with them in my set up.. I do not use the auto on.

The auto on is not that great. I have had it shut off at low volumes. Like i said, I don't use that feature.

The binding post on these amps are not that bad. I wouldn't call them cheap, when I compare them to the posts on my Harmon Kardon or Sherwood Receivers. I don't have a problem with those either. The ones on my AudioSource amps just have some more meat. Never afraid to crank down on them.
post #5 of 36 Old 02-24-2012, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Would I notice any difference in sound quality between this AMP310 and the HK's amp? Even if I start using the AMP310, I will be using the HK's pre-outs to get signal. The HK just sound gutless to me for some reason.

post #6 of 36 Old 02-24-2012, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have the Amp Three (predecessor to the 310) and it is a good amp with a very beefy power supply. I use it to power two inwall subs. Audiosource is made by Phoenix Gold, which is a pretty reputable name in audio (mostly car audio).

As much as I like the Audiosource amp, if I had to do it again, I would get a crown XLS 1500 drivecore for 269-299 off ebay. Almost double the wattage of the audiosource 310 for less money.

You should be able to power those Jamo bookshelves with almost any decent receiver. Audioholics tested your receiver and was impressed by its power reserves.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/r...0-measurements

You really don't need an amp unless you want one.
post #7 of 36 Old 02-24-2012, 07:34 AM

I actually have an HK driving my AudioSource amplifiers.

You will gain some headroom and it may help you if you are driving some demanding inefficient speakers.

My HK wasn't noisy or anything... I didn't pick up any extra noise adding an amp.
post #8 of 36 Old 02-24-2012, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davecraze View Post

As much as I like the Audiosource amp, if I had to do it again, I would get a crown XLS 1500 drivecore for 269-299 off ebay. Almost double the wattage of the audiosource 310 for less money.

$375 is the lowest price I can find on this Crown. I like the fact that it has a configurable high-pass filter so that I could prevent the very low frequencies from going to the bookshelf speakers. However, I don't see RCA-outputs for loopback to bring the signal back to my HK, so that's probably not going to work.

Quote:

You really don't need an amp unless you want one.

The setup is in a wide open half-finished basement. I've got 4 speakers currently running off this HK (2x Jamo C603 6-Ohm, 2x Polk Audio M40 8-Ohm). I've got a lot of room to fill, so I often run this HK at very high volume. I'm worried that I am putting too much load on it. That's why I thought I'd only run two speakers off the HK and the other two off a separate amp. Am I worried for no reason?

post #9 of 36 Old 02-24-2012, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7874 View Post

However, I don't see RCA-outputs for loopback to bring the signal back to my HK, so that's probably not going to work.

Actually, having a second look, it does appear to have 1/4" jacks for loopback. Would I just be able to use a 1/4" to RCA cable to bring the signal back to my HK's line level inputs?

post #10 of 36 Old 02-24-2012, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

You can generally find it for 100 dollars less on ebay- just have to sift through the listings.

Why do you need to loop the signal back to your receiver?
post #11 of 36 Old 02-24-2012, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Why do you need to loop the signal back to your receiver?

So that the receiver can power the remaining 2 speakers that I have.

post #12 of 36 Old 02-24-2012, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

The receiver should output to the pre-outs (driving the amp) and the receiver speaker terminals at the same time. You don't need to loop the signal back from the amp to the receiver so that the receiver can then power the other speakers.

Many people do this same thing - as an example, they use an amp to power the front three LCR speakers and use the receiver to power the surrounds.
post #13 of 36 Old 02-24-2012, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The receiver should output to the pre-outs (driving the amp) and the receiver speaker terminals at the same time.

Not with this HK.

In normal operation (no external amps), there are jumpers in place that link pre-outs with main-in in the above photo. The moment you take the jumpers out (which is what you'd have to do to send signal to an external amp), then speakers that are directly connected to the HK will no longer work. You'd need to bring the signal back to these "main-in" inputs for the HK to be able to power some speakers as well.

post #14 of 36 Old 02-24-2012, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Ok - seems a bit unusual.
post #15 of 36 Old 02-24-2012, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I think a pair of "Y" cords with two RCA plugs and one RCA socket would work. Plug the male's into the HK and use the female as an access point to drive the outboard amp.

Jeff
post #16 of 36 Old 02-24-2012, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The jumpers are not pictured above. Sorry, I could not find a photo like that.

Think of them as two very short RCA cables that link each pre-out with each main-in.

post #17 of 36 Old 02-24-2012, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereojeff View Post

I think a pair of "Y" cords with two RCA plugs and one RCA socket would work. Plug the male's into the HK and use the female as an access point to drive the outboard amp.

Jeff

But I would actually want to bring the signal back to the HK after it was processed by the Crown (ran through high-pass filter).

post #18 of 36 Old 02-24-2012, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Back to the subject of amps, would the sound quality of the Crown XLS be comparable to the AudioSource 310? I want good sound quality. I don't necessarily need 300 watts per channel of power.

post #19 of 36 Old 02-24-2012, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Yes, a clean watt is a clean watt. It doesn't matter what amp it comes from.
post #20 of 36 Old 02-24-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:

But I would actually want to bring the signal back to the HK after it was processed by the Crown (ran through high-pass filter).

Doesn't the HK have a crossover built in to do this?
post #21 of 36 Old 02-24-2012, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, a clean watt is a clean watt. It doesn't matter what amp it comes from.

So this whole Class D amp thing is not an issue anymore? I remember some years back audiophiles would only swear by Class A/B amps and frown upon Class D as being unrefined, harsh, etc. Alas, I'm sure technology does not stand still...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinkeey View Post

Doesn't the HK have a crossover built in to do this?

No. It's just a stereo receiver. No stereo receiver that I know of has built-in bass management capabilities.

post #22 of 36 Old 02-24-2012, 10:02 AM

Liked: 10
No. It's just a stereo receiver. No stereo receiver that I know of has built-in bass management capabilities.[/quote]

The HK stereo receiver does have subwoofer line outs and bass management. It has an audessy-like mic setup as well. Rated at 120 wpc it is plenty powerful enough to drive a decent pair of speakers.
post #23 of 36 Old 02-24-2012, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoDuck View Post

The HK stereo receiver does have subwoofer line outs and bass management. It has an audessy-like mic setup as well.

Which HK model are you referring to? The HK 3490 I have has sub outs, but these are basically full-frequency line outputs. It is up to your subwoofer's crossover to then apply a low-pass filter before feeding the signal to the sub's internal amp.
And the speaker level connections aren't subject to any sort of bass management either. Basically, there is no crossover of any kind in this receiver. No bass management whatsoever.

Quote:

Rated at 120 wpc it is plenty powerful enough to drive a decent pair of speakers.

Sure, but I have two pairs.

post #24 of 36 Old 02-24-2012, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoDuck View Post

The HK stereo receiver does have subwoofer line outs and bass management. It has an audessy-like mic setup as well. Rated at 120 wpc it is plenty powerful enough to drive a decent pair of speakers.

Incorrect..
It does not have any bass management and no mike setup for auto EQ.

Just my $0.02...
post #25 of 36 Old 02-25-2012, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Do I need to worry at all about the XLS's pro-audio input sensitivity levels? I'll be feeding it consumer level output from my HK. I've read some articles and done some volt measurements and I think I should be OK, but I thought I'd ask.

post #26 of 36 Old 02-25-2012, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereojeff View Post

Doesn't that weaken the signal though? The signal coming out of the HK is already fairly weak as it is by pro-audio standards. I wouldn't want to do anything to weaken it further.

post #27 of 36 Old 02-25-2012, 04:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Doesn't that weaken the signal though? The signal coming out of the HK is already fairly weak as it is by pro-audio standards. I wouldn't want to do anything to weaken it further.

Not much I would think with a short Y cable, has wire as little resistance. The voltage is not halved, as voltage does not work like that (the voltage only reduced, at both Y outputs due to the voltage drop of the cable)

Current is the value which would be halved, as all current through a "node" must "sum" but that's irrelevant when discussing line level signals, as they work via a principle of high impedance inputs.

post #28 of 36 Old 02-26-2012, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks, Michael!

I've seen one of your older posts where you noted some hissing noise from an XLS 1000. How bad was it? Was the hissing being generated by the XLS itself or was it a result of something being picked up by the XLS from the signal from your pre-amp?

post #29 of 36 Old 02-26-2012, 10:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The hissing is not bad...you have to be pretty close to the speakers

post #30 of 36 Old 02-26-2012, 10:25 AM

Liked: 10
I detect a hum from my PL-28 being connected to my xls1500. The hum reflects the adjustments I make with the gain controls. It's only noticeable when nothing is playing or playing below normal listening levels.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page