Need a new receiver. Ohm queston/help. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-25-2012, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I picked up some used polk lsi9 speakers (4ohm). Ive been needing to replace my old onkyo anyway so I guess now is a good time. My question is will a receiver running in 6 ohm be ok for these speakers? Im having a hard time finding a complete home theater receiver that is 4 ohm stable.

Or if you want to suggest a receiver Im all ears.
1000 dollar price range please.
I need 3d ready and phono input.

Was looking at the Yamaha RX-A1010, any thoughts? Yamaha claims if its in 6 ohm it will run 2 4ohm speakers, I have no clue about this.

Thanks for any help, im lost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2012, 08:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 119
As you say, few receivers claim 4 ohm operation.

It's suggested to NOT use the 6 ohm switch, as that will limit power.

So the question is whether the receiver can handle 4 ohm speakers. Some will tell you there's never a possibility of problems. Some will tell you a receiver like the one you mention can handle them just fine if you give it proper ventilation ( as is explained in the receiver's manual.)

Some cheaper receivers are likely bad choices because they don't have a good enough power supply and design to handle them.

If you do get a receiver like the one you mention, with 4 ohm speakers, the worst case scenario, I think, is to play music loudly. That stresses the receiver more than movies. And at moderate volumes, it's likely not an issue.

"But this one goes up to 11"
Old 02-25-2012, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply, im thinking I should have left these speakers where they were. My problem is champagne dreams on a beer budget.

I got a new 3d tv and that has started a ripple effect. I would like to have a better sounding setup for my vinyl listening but it needs to be multi use also, games and movies.

I may just sell these speakers back to the guy and start over from scratch.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I know people have used those speakers with various receivers. Is it only two of them? You could ask in the speaker forum, or do a search. I did some googling, and I saw the usual spiel...people claiming you needed a lot of power for Lsi speakers.

So I could not find much of help for you.

I am somewhat sure some people have used them with mid level receivers. But I can't recall what their experience was.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Yea just two. I was gonna use them up front. I listen to vinyl alot in two channel. Sounds like we got the same google results, ill give the speaker forum a try. Thank you.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Just two, heck I would just give it a shot, unless you want to push the receiver to it's limits while playing "Tool" or something. I personally stick with 8 ohm speakers, but as I say, there are people here who insist you can use 4 ohm speakers with many receivers.

My only point is that they are likely not designed for such. But receivers in the price class of the A1000, should do just fine.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Its not really the 4ohms that kill the receiver its how much lower than 4 it goes and how long it stays there and at what Hz.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:28 PM
Advanced Member

Many of us typically set our towers to small and send the bass to a capable sub, even for stereo listening. This also takes much of the load off the amps.

However, having just said that, lately I've been listening and enjoying "pure direct" 2 channel. Those woofers in my PSB towers must of almost went into shock after not being tested in a few years. Think I might have seen old dust flying though the grills.

I do happen to own a separate amp for the 4 ohm fronts, but if you listen at reasonable levels, there's no reason to believe the Yamaha can't handle it.