Audio Return Channel (ARC) Only passes 2 Channel LPCM Stereo from TV to AVR? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 40 Old 07-26-2012, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

I actually asked a Panasonic rep a few weeks ago whether a smart app DD 5.1 audio signal would pass as DD 5.1 over HDMI (ARC) or wether it would downmixed to 2.0 and was told 2.0 over HDMI and 5.1 over the optical audio output. Now today, another rep tells me it will indeed pass over the HDMI(ARC) as DD 5.1 or DD+ ... so 1 for, 1 against. Your best bet is to get an owner's confirmation in the ST50 or VT50's Owner's thread.

DD, maybe, but definitely not DD+. S/PDIF only supports 2-ch PCM, normal AC3, and normal DTS. It is common that S/PDIF interfaces on TVs only do the 2ch PCM thing because of simplicity reasons - HD audio signals would have to be modified to reencode as plain AC3 or DTS, or to strip the AC3 "core" out of the Enhanced AC3 standards, for example. It seems a bit half-ass to me, but it's also not a big deal in my personal opinion...

I agree with you guys that ARC isn't really that necessary. It can eliminate 1 S/PDIF cable plus potentially slightly simplify the switching of the system a little bit if you don't have an advanced remote such as a Logitech Harmony.

"Vintage" is good for wine, not for A/V equipment.

-Dan D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 07-26-2012, 05:03 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 1333
Oops, .. no DD+ .. I was thinking of Netflix capability rather than what the HDMI(ARC) could do. The Panasonic rep actually called back to say that upon futher confirmation with his peers, the Panasonic TVs cannot pass the DD 5.1 via HDMI(ARC), rather via the optical audio output only.

@sdiver2489 - better plan on adding the optical cable from the TV to the AVR.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #33 of 40 Old 08-10-2012, 02:20 PM

Liked: 10
The 5.1 does not pass from HDMI input X to HDMI (ARC) because of HDMI specification:

When an external device and the TV are connected directly, they negotiate their capabilities during initial handshake (resolution, copy protection, etc.). At that time, the TV tells the source that it is a 2CH device, because it is stereo. In response, the source (Xbox360, PS3, Cable box, etc.) downgrades its own audio output to 2CH. Then, this 2CH audio pass through the ARC and Optical.

In short, the TV does not down convert the audio. It just passes it. The HDMI source device down convert, because it was notified by the TV that only 2CH are available (the TV's own speakers).
post #34 of 40 Old 08-10-2012, 06:55 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 1333
This really depends on the capability of the TV as some are able to pass both DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1 as well from a connected external source.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #35 of 40 Old 11-25-2013, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Nope that isn't the point at all, rather the primary reason is to pass any TV generated smart app audio (eg. Pandora, Netflix, Rhapsody, etc.) or OTA audio back to the AVR/sound system. Your best bet is to contact each TV mfr to determine which models will pass DD 5.1 via ARC. As already noted, Panasonic TVs can only do it via the optical audio out connection.

Hello, I realize this thread is a couple of years old but I would like to ask:
What is the source of the Panasonic comment (not passing 5.1 via ARC)?

Thank you,
Scott

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5005 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 15" Sub
TiVO Roamo OTA
post #36 of 40 Old 03-03-2014, 09:13 AM

I have a 2012 Viera ST50 and will report for the benefit of others that Dolby Digital does NOT pass via HDMI (ARC) when using the Viera Smart Apps.

I do however get Dolby Digital via HDMI (ARC) for OTA programming.

Smart Apps tested were: CinemaNow, Vudu and Amazon Prime.

This really is a pretty lame implementation of a "Smart TV" for it to not pass the signal when using the built in streaming apps.

Bob H
Minneapolis, MN
post #37 of 40 Old 03-03-2014, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHeld View Post

I have a 2012 Viera ST50 and will report for the benefit of others that Dolby Digital does NOT pass via HDMI (ARC) when using the Viera Smart Apps.

I do however get Dolby Digital via HDMI (ARC) for OTA programming.

Smart Apps tested were: CinemaNow, Vudu and Amazon Prime.

This really is a pretty lame implementation of a "Smart TV" for it to not pass the signal when using the built in streaming apps.

Bob H
Minneapolis, MN

I'm pretty sure it does - try the ST thread in the TVs section - I'm sure there's some setting you need to change. Either that or the content you're streaming isn't in dolby digital
post #38 of 40 Old 03-03-2014, 03:49 PM

Thanks jontyrees but 'pretty sure' is not the same as having actually tested it. I was just confirming what another user had posted with information they got from Panasonic since there continues to be people questioning whether it does or not.

Bob H
Minneapolis, MN
post #39 of 40 Old 04-17-2014, 11:54 AM

E5 series here, I can confirm after some testing it CAN pass DD 5.1 from Netflix over ARC.

No joy with other HDMI inputs or anything through the USB ports.:(

post #40 of 40 Old 05-29-2014, 07:18 AM

I'm facing the same problem with my Sony KLV46R452A. I'm only getting 2.1 audio through ARC and my TV doesn't even have slot for optical cable. What do I do?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page