"Official" Denon App control thread (DenONOFF, Denon App etc) - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 152 Old 03-24-2013, 06:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I found out what the problem was...the app sucks. Looked at the reviews and it appears to work only for the 2013 models and a few others.

Denon isn't really known for it's s/w just look at it's gui.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 152 Old 03-30-2013, 06:00 AM

Hi.

I have just bought a Denon RCD-N8. I would have liked to remote-control this device with my Samsung Galaxytab 2 10.1. The Google Play store is offering Remote App, which is working just fine. However, due to the size of the display (10.1") the resolution is terrible and practically useless. Is there any way to "squeeze" the app to its native size around 4”?

Thanks.

-kiplis-
post #93 of 152 Old 04-29-2013, 05:47 PM

Liked: 10
Hey all,

I recently got my first Denon. Overall, not too bad. I like the new technology, but it does seem like we are getting less and less hardware. Quite a few less inputs than my previous receivers. This is for my second TV and I run whole house HDMI matrix switching. For me I needed one HDMI in and one out. The rest of the network stuff works well so far.

Anyway, since the receiver also serves double duty to run a whole house audio system, zone 2 is critical. I really like the "front" page for source selection in the main zone for the app. I cannot figure out if I should be able to see this page for zone 2.

Does anyone know if there is a page for Zone 2 that looks like this?

Help is appreciated.
post #94 of 152 Old 05-04-2013, 08:29 AM

@Details

Yeah I think you may be a little disappointed here. There is no Zone2 screen like that. I believe the reason for this is zone2 only accepts ANALOG signals - no reason for all of the fancy GUI for the limited functionality offered by this particular limitation (I have a 2113CI, maybe higher models accept digital signals, but I don't think so).

Now I have only owned this model for about a month, but like you have zone2 feeding a whole house system.

Here's what I have found so far that may or may not assist you rolleyes.gif

When you press the "zones" button (upper left of your image), you get the ability to control the second zone (which you can rename whatever you want BTW). You can select the inputs for that second zone by touching the source name on screen. This pops up a list of all your inputs. The crummy thing about this is it allows you to select both Digital and Analog inputs even though the second zone can only output ANALOG mad.gif

This confused me for quite some time until I understood this limitation.

Other observations that you didn't ask for ... cool.gif

I have found that the volume control does absolutely nothing, which is really frustrating. NOTE - volume does work for airplay.

I have settled on Pandora for a majority of my zone2 music these days. The Denon software doesn't do a great job with Pandora IMO, as there is no way to thumb up/down and impact the playlist with what you want. I would love a way to control Pandora via a tablet web browser and output to the Denon zone2. Maybe there's a way to do this (sort of like Apple's ability within iTunes), but I am not holding my breath. Using the Pandora interface would be a good compromise in my situation at least.

Denon software crashes a fair amount on my android device.

You can access the Denon GUI though your network and a browser. I use a tablet and simply point the browser to index page to control the AVR (http://192.168.1.xxx/top.asp) - just plug in your AVR's IP address and you're in business. Something to consider if you'd rather not use the apple or android software (although not as pretty).

Hope this helps!

mm
post #95 of 152 Old 05-04-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermannindy View Post

I have settled on Pandora for a majority of my zone2 music these days. The Denon software doesn't do a great job with Pandora IMO, as there is no way to thumb up/down and impact the playlist with what you want. I would love a way to control Pandora via a tablet web browser and output to the Denon zone2. Maybe there's a way to do this (sort of like Apple's ability within iTunes), but I am not holding my breath. Using the Pandora interface would be a good compromise in my situation at least.

mm

I can "sort of" do this leveraging a Bluetooth audio receiver. Which is limited by the BT's range. If I am inside, I CAN use the Pandora web interface to do what I say above. It would be nice for a similar experience within the Denon app, but I suspect that's a pipe dream. rolleyes.gif

If I am outside the range of the BT (like outside the house), then I have to leverage my wireless network as the BT doesn't reach through all the walls/distance.

Hope this information helps someone.

mm
post #96 of 152 Old 05-07-2013, 06:47 PM

mm,
Thanks. That is some great information. It is disapointing that Z2 function is somewhat crippled. You would think that this would be a common way to use the app. I have a remote control in hand and sitting in front of a display when in the main zone. I am typically in one of the other 15 zones in the house when I want to use the app for control and feedback.

I also found that the android app is about useless on a tablet. Does not scale and looks fuzzy. This is also too bad. This is common though. I downloaded other manufacturers apps and the only one that looked great on the tablet was Yamaha.

The one reason I like the Dennon is that this seems to be the only one that can access Pandora directly from the app. I know others have taken the functionality out of the receiver in favor of Airplay, but this seems more awkward to me (besides having androids). Does anyone know of a manufacturer with better phone/tablet access to Pandora control?

Yeah, the house is far to large for Bluetooth to work. I want control on the back porch in the summertime.

Thanks again.
post #97 of 152 Old 05-09-2013, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Details View Post

I want control on the back porch in the summertime.

Yeah - that's the challenge I have as well.

I just end up using the phone app (android), through the LAN. I did figure out that you can thumb up/down on the main Denon UI, so if you're in the main zone, you can access those Pandora features (still a gimp for me, but it is in their UI after all). It's hidden on the "next" menu when on the Pandora screen of your main zone (FYI).

I have a windows 8 tablet (Samsung Slate) and I love it. Maybe Denon will release a win8 app for the tablet, but I am not expecting anything soon. (I'm sure they will once those devices are more common). Until then, I will use the android phone app.

I have not seen the app on an android tablet, but I am sure it looks nasty and probably doesn't scale to the bigger screen (very common as all the varying form factors keep developers pretty busy these days - newer apps should auto scale to these things, but most aren't coded that way).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Details View Post

Does anyone know of a manufacturer with better phone/tablet access to Pandora control?
Why? Is there a way to pipe Pandora into the Denon from a tablet source? Maybe I just cant see the forest for the trees, but the only thing I can think of is Bluetooth. How else could you "connect" a tablet (or other "smart" device) to the Denon?

Clearly the denon "App" does this via the LAN and your smartphone, so its possible to do in code and the right knowledge.

mm
post #98 of 152 Old 05-15-2013, 02:13 PM

Yes. I have a Yamaha rx-v673 receiver. The Yamaha app "av controller" allows me to do thumbs up and thumbs down. I just helped out a buddy with a Denon receiver and I too was wondering what was up with the missing thumbs up/down.

I hope somebody at Denon is reading this, because it should not be a major financial outlay to program in that feature. These kind of features are what is going to drive sales for Denon (just my opinion of course). But if I was working for Denon, I would be embarrassed by the poor performance and missing features of the Denon iphone app. Seems like if they put forth a little effort into the programming, they could make a lot of customers very happy.

Since you already own the Denon, what can you do? .... Just have to live with it. I would just be happy that Pandora works. We had to upgrade the firmware to allow us to set up a Pandora account
post #99 of 152 Old 05-26-2013, 06:21 AM

I have a Denon 2113 which is attached to a Windows computer via ethernet. The Denon itself can see the shared music (itunes) on the computer, but when I try to use the Denon Remote app on my phone (HTC One XL - Android) it doesn't show up on the phone screen, even when it is being displayed on the GUI on the TV screen! Has anyone got this kind of network music playing to work with a similar setup?

Incidentally I also have the same problem on the apps on iPhone and iPads
post #100 of 152 Old 05-27-2013, 12:43 PM

My IPhone and IPad apps are no longer working with my 3313. I recently did an upgrade for this app and also did an firmware upgrade on the receiver. Prior to these upgrades everything was working okay. Any suggested fixes would be appreciated. Thanks,
post #101 of 152 Old 05-27-2013, 12:56 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465528/the-official-2013-denon-e-series-x-series-avr-model-owners-thread-faq/0_100#user_L1
SanchoPanza likes this.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #102 of 152 Old 05-29-2013, 07:46 AM

Thanks for the page, but I don't see it addressing my issue which is with the mobile app for phones and tablets, rather than another computer on the network.
post #103 of 152 Old 05-29-2013, 02:48 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
Check the link again as it directly applies to your issue. wink.gif

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #104 of 152 Old 05-31-2013, 09:39 AM

Liked: 18
Gonna read this later.
post #105 of 152 Old 06-01-2013, 06:18 AM

I have an AVR 1913 and I just got networking set up a few days ago. It was a breeze, I just needed to pick up a wifi adapter for it. Last night I downloaded the Denon Remote App and love it. Was playing around with it for an hour. Then I did a firmware update on the receiver and this morning, I can not access zone 2 from the remote app. The button isn't in the top left corner of the control page on the app. I can still access zone 2 from the web GUI (192.168.1.91) and I can do it with the physical remote. It is just gone from the app control and I did not update the app. Any ideas?
post #106 of 152 Old 06-01-2013, 06:28 AM

nevermind. Turned the phone off and back on and there it is. I swear I did that once already before posting the first time and it didn't come back. Oh well..
post #107 of 152 Old 06-06-2013, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattRich View Post

I have a Denon 2113 which is attached to a Windows computer via ethernet. The Denon itself can see the shared music (itunes) on the computer, but when I try to use the Denon Remote app on my phone (HTC One XL - Android) it doesn't show up on the phone screen, even when it is being displayed on the GUI on the TV screen! Has anyone got this kind of network music playing to work with a similar setup?

Incidentally I also have the same problem on the apps on iPhone and iPads

im in the same boat as you (ethernet piggybacked to win7 pc) remote app wont see my avr x1000 its got something to do with the IP address.......
post #108 of 152 Old 06-06-2013, 06:36 AM

Liked: 12
^^
This is a limitation of the Denon internal software. It only support a single remote control connection at a time via the so called 'telnet' port..
Means that most 3rd-party app's won't work when some home automation sw is in use that continuously block the telnet connection..
post #109 of 152 Old 06-06-2013, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeRemote View Post

^^
This is a limitation of the Denon internal software. It only support a single remote control connection at a time via the so called 'telnet' port..
Means that most 3rd-party app's won't work when some home automation sw is in use that continuously block the telnet connection..

agreed: the Ethernet and serial ports are shared in the Denon and Marantz AVR's

this is why it is important to disconnect any third party control system connected to the Denon RS232 port before you attempt a firmware update over Ethernet

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin
post #110 of 152 Old 06-06-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwincy View Post

I'm having the same issue with my 2113ci and the iPhone 5. One day it was working, and the next day it isn't. I hope Denon resolves this soon.

Apparantly it's affecting iOS and Android apps, because the exact same thing happened to me. It's frustrating. I'm using a different, third-party app in the meantime, but I liked that the official app displays album covers from Pandora, and the one I'm using doesn't.

Hopefully they figure out what happened and resolve it!
post #111 of 152 Old 06-26-2013, 07:14 AM

I have a 1713 and the remote app worked without a problem on IOS on my iPhone 5 until the update a day or so ago. Now it finds the reciever but is greyed out and not working. I have up to date forward and have tried resetting the phone and power cycling the AVR. The only other thing I recently did was add a harmony ultimate remote to my system and I can't honestly say I used the remote app since I did that. Any ideas?
post #112 of 152 Old 06-26-2013, 07:16 AM

*firmware. Damn you autocorrect.
SanchoPanza likes this.
post #113 of 152 Old 06-27-2013, 10:43 PM

If you are interested in Pandora, open the app and then use your remote to go to the screen on the receiver that lets you give a thumbs up or down. When I did this with my Nexus 7, the screen goes to a thumbs up or down menu in the app! I can't figure out how to get there without using the remote control and video interface, but it is in the app!
post #114 of 152 Old 07-09-2013, 06:50 AM

Glad I found this forum.

I have the 1913 and I too am having problems since the last update.

I am no longer able to wake my receiver via the app. However this is only the case after the receiver has been on standby for a while (how long I'm not sure yet). Once I turn it on manually everyting works fine for a while. Network standby is set to ON.

This does not only affect the Denon remote app as the browser interface does not work either.

Has anyone heard back from Denon?
post #115 of 152 Old 07-19-2013, 07:25 AM

So I have a 3311, which I've been using with the factory iOS app on both iphones and ipad. It's been working well for what I need it to do. Also I added the deremote to the set, just to get some better full screen functionality on the ipad. With the latest build of the apps, everything has been functioning.

I recently added an older htc android device to the house for another sonos controller. I installed the latest 3.5 build of the denon factory android app out of the play store (and one of the other apps too). The non-factory app, picks up the 3311 without issue, and is fine.... the factory app doesn't recognize the receiver. Even putting in the static ip, it says that it's not able to connect.

I'm surpised the differences with the andriod factory app vs the ios one, since one works fine, the other... not so much....

Any ideas? Or is the android app limited to the xx13+ receivers? Going back and reading the description out of the play store it was a little confusing.....

TIA,
post #116 of 152 Old 08-29-2013, 10:51 AM

I have the same exact issue with AVR 1913. Naturally Denon says they've "never heard of this" and have no solutions or ideas. I told them I found their interface primitive given that $30 consumer electronics allow reflashing of firmware.

They won't say when there is a new update or when there is a new app. Pretty useless "tech support". Maybe in a few years Denon will have caught up with the rest of the world . The sound quality is good - I'm just glad I bought this on a black Friday special. I'd be pretty pissed if I had paid their MSRP or anything near it.

Their recommendation was that I take it to a local service center but of course to do so I'd have to produce my original receipt - I laughed and asked if this was their idea of customer service. He told me they don't if I just picked it up on the side of the road.

So now I'm looking at wasting a weekend driving down to the store where I bought it a year ago and hoping they can give me a copy of the receipt. If not, hello craigslist/ebay. Maybe a new firmware update will fix the isse but that could be ???

Next purchase will be from established technology company. My panasonic home theater in a box sounded great but didn't support network control. Apparently neither does Denon,
post #117 of 152 Old 09-15-2013, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Is there an iPad app? Believe I read where jdsmoothie posted in another thread NO.

Will I find La Scala, or better, to displace my La Scala fronts, before I displace my kg1, kg2 & kg3 with Heresy or better?

RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

post #118 of 152 Old 09-17-2013, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Updates (Bug fixes) to both Denon & Marantz apps (iPhone).

Will I find La Scala, or better, to displace my La Scala fronts, before I displace my kg1, kg2 & kg3 with Heresy or better?

RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

post #119 of 152 Old 09-17-2013, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Had no problems with either App; until I downloaded these "fixes".

Prolly has something to do with iOS 7.

RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

post #120 of 152 Old 09-19-2013, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

iOS 7 now neither App works

RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr A100 100th Anniversary 9 2 140w , Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Denon Avr3312ci Receiver , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2312ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2112ci Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver , Denon Networkcd Receiver White Rcd N7w 100v 50 60hz Japanese Import , Denon Avr 4308ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4306b 7 1 Ch Home Theater Multimedia A V Receiver Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page