"Official" Denon App control thread (DenONOFF, Denon App etc) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-29-2012, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just wanted to start a thread for the remote apps available for Denon Receivers. I searched and didn't see one, so figured why not make one.

Post should contain what receiver you are using, what app you have tried and or are using, thoughts, problems, tricks etc.

My receiver is being shipped out today so I am looking forward to using these apps. It amazes me to think just a few years ago we were willing to pay big money for larger touchscreen remotes, and now we can just use tablets, phones and etc that cost less and do more than those remotes did.

I plan on using mine in conjunction with my HTPC which runs the MyMovies application in windows media center. There is an app for iOS allows you to control your Windows Media Center PC and browse your movie collection, pick a movie on your iPhone / iPad and play it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2012, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Apps for iOS

Official Denon app

Denon’s iPhone App is a tremendously beneficial new lifestyle app that lets users control all of the company’s Network ‘11/'12 Series audio/video receivers and Network music system using their iPhone or iPod Touch devices. With the Denon iPhone App, users can now take control of their home entertainment in an exciting new way. Four separate screen modes provide access to everything from audio tuning to the networking and switching capabilities of Denon’s new receivers.

For instance, one iPhone App screen lets users control their Denon model's basic functions, including power on/off, volume, input selection, surround sound modes, etc. Other screens let users delve deeper into the many features and capabilities of their Denon AVR and home theater system, from choosing multi-zone networking to content-streaming to tuner commands, radio station pre-sets, balancing the audio soundfield for specific room parameters and more. With the new Denon iPhone App, your iPhone just became an integral part of your home entertainment experience! New iPod Player function allows smooth operation of music files in your iPhone/iPod Touch without changing applications.

- Compatible Network models: (may require an online firmware update for the use of this application. Please check a latest firmware by following each User manual)

Network AV Receiver : AVR-A100, AVR-4311CI, AVR-3312CI/3311CI, AVR-2312CI, AVR-2112CI, AVR-1912, AVR-991
Compatible Network music system : RCD-N7, DNP-720AE

DenONOFF App

empure and ifie GmbH are proud to bring you denONOFF, the ultimate DENON® and Marantz® A/V receiver App!!

**NEW: We now support Marantz® A/V receivers that have an Ethernet port!! **

With our App you can easily control any of your series 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12(some) DENON® A/V receivers and the latest Marantz® A/V receivers that have an Ethernet port! Everything works 100% bidirectional (2 way) so you can change inputs or volume with the original remote and your App will know and show! We now offer “dual-view” – so everything works vertically as well as horizontally.

Attention:
With the latest receiver Firmware we cannot guarantee 100% stable operation. We know about the issues and are working on a solution.
Sorry for any inconvenience!

Right now we support the following models:

Denon®:
AVR-3308
AVR-3808
AVR-4308
AVR-4306
AVR-3310
AVR-4310
AVR-4810
AVC-A1HD(A)
AVP-A1HD(A)
AVR-3311
AVR-1912
AVR-2112
AVR-2312

- 3D - sound control (user selectable set-up for the main zone with all available control options)
- 2nd zone control: Power On/Off, source selection, mute, volume, bass/treble and balance control
- 3rd zone control: Power On/Off, source selection, mute, volume, bass/treble and balance control
- iPod control (to be used with DENON® iPod® dock or iPod Direct Connection®)
- Internet Radio control
- DLNA Media control
- Analog Tuner control
- change volume on incoming calls (iPhone with iOS4 only)
- cursor Control
- german localization
- iPod/iRadio cover art (xx11 only)
- skin selection (black or silver)

Deremote

DeRemote requires a Denon or Maranz Amplifier or Receiver with BUILT-IN LAN. Following Denon/Maranz models are supported:
* AVR-990, AVR-991
* AVR-4306, AVR-4806
* AVR-3808, AVR-4308, AVR-5308, AVC-4320
* AVR-3310, AVR-4310, AVR-4810
* AVR-3311, AVR-4311
* AVR-1912, AVR-2112, AVR-2312, AVR-3312
* AVR-A100
* AVC-A1HD, AVP-A1HD, AVC-A1XV, AVC-A11XV, AVC-A11X
* SR6006, SR7005, AV7005

Note: following models are NOT supported:
• S32/302 does not provide the same remote control protocol as the AVR/AVC series
• AVR-4303, AVR-3806, AVR-19x1 and AVR-23x1 do not have LAN support
• Cara S-5DB doesn’t support the remote control protocol on the LAN-port
• DNP-720 doesn’t support the full remote control protocol on the LAN-port
• RCD-N7 / CEOL does not provide the same remote control protocol as the AVR/AVC series

Please see http://www.deremote.com/faq for a recent list of supported models.

-----

With DeRemote you can remotely control your LAN connected Denon or Marantz receiver or amplifier from your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad. It is designed for everyday usage and allows full bidirectional control of Power, Volume, Surround Mode, Audio/Video Source, AM/FM Radio Presets and Internet Radio Presets. Additionally it gives full access to all Audio, Video, Surround, Audessey, Sleep and Quick Select settings.

Via the Media Navigation Panel, you can easily browse Internet Radio stations and connected Media Servers or USB drives. Internet Radio Stations can be stored as preset on your Denon.

DeRemote automatically detects your Denon amplifiers and receivers and correctly handles dynamic IP addresses (DHCP). It supports multiple Denon devices and zones.

For more information, download the user manual from http://www.deremote.com or see http://www.deremote.com/faq.

Note: remote control of Pandora, Rhapsody, Napster and Flicker content is still limited and might not work as expected.

Apps for Android

AVR-Remote

Simple remote control for network connected
Denon and Marantz receivers.
Your phone and receiver must be connected to the same WLAN router to use this application.

Supported models:
- Denon AVR 990, 991, 1912, 2112, 2312, 3310, 3311, 3312, 3808, 4306, 4308, 4310, 4311 4806, 4810, 5308, 5805 and A1HDA
- Marantz NR-1602, SR-5006, SR-6006, SR-7005
Old 02-29-2012, 06:36 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 2242 Post(s)
Liked: 1820
For your 3808CI ...

iPhone, iPad = DenONOFF, DeRemote
Android = AVR-Remote

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Direct line 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Old 03-03-2012, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I've tried the free app however it won't accept my IP address.

I dont mind paying for one as long as I can adjust channel levels with it.

Any recommendations?

Old 03-05-2012, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'll have mine tuesday so I'll find out soon enough!
Old 03-07-2012, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My initial impressions so far

Denon official app doesn't list my receiver but i tried it anyway with no luck, same as the poster above I input my ip and it does nothing then erases the ip. This is running with a static IP (DHCP disabled) and a reservation in my router.

Denonoff seems to work ok so far but really needs updated to work well with the iPad since it is a iPhone native app. It has a simple to use and clean layout that again would look so much better with a native iPad app. On the iphone it looks beautiful and is perfect as it is for the iPhone. Functionally the app has been great so far and does just about everythign I want it to do with one exception. For some reason with this app when I put the receiver in to standby, I can not power it back on. When I go in to the app while the receiver is off it can not connect at all. I do have the power saving feature off on the network conneciton and DeRemote can turn the receiver back on, but this one wont. I really like the functionality of this app with Tuning OTA radio stations, switching inputs, changing levels and etc. However for my model receiver I am not getting the option (as shown in other ictures for other receivers) to turn audyssey dynamic eq, and volume on or off.

Deremote seems to be the best looking for iPad and has a lot of options but i'm not too crazy about the layout. Don't get me wrong the look and feel is ok, but I feel it could use some shine and improvement compared to DenONOFF. But since DenONOFF isn't iPad native this one looks and feels a little better on iPad due to the extra screen real estate. I'm still poking around in this one and learning the ropes, for example I ran in to an issue where I couldn;t turn the volume up past -20dB... of course if I read the manual for it I would have found I could go to that zones settings and set the maximum volume limit. OTA radio tuning is a bit off to me, I'm still reading through but I cant find a way to actually tune to stations, I can select preset memory stations... but not physically tune up or down. So if I don't have any stations saved in to memory then I cant tune to them.

What I would honestly like to see in an app.... I'd love to see a hybrid of the DenONOFF app and DeRemote, take the best of both and mix it in together. I like DenONOFF for just about everythign but the problem with my not being able to turn my receiver on when it is in standby, and the lack of a iPad interface puts me off. DeRemote works great in some areas but actual control is not as intuitive as DenONOFF.

I'm still poking through these apps and learnign more as I have time so as I learn more and am able to, I will post the impressions here.

Stay Tuned!

I'm still setting everything up and playing around so I'll post more when I can.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Found the setting to raise the maximum volume in zones
Old 03-07-2012, 06:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by nintari View Post

Deremote seems to be the best looking for iPad and has a lot of options but i'm not too crazy about the layout. I am having an odd problem though that I can not turn the volume up beyond -20dB? Kinda confuses me a bit why that is.

I'm going to test this myself when I get my 4311 up and running in the next few days - is this a problem in the main room (Zone 1) as opposed to Zone 2/3?

Stuart

Denon 4311 with XT32 and Audyssey Pro

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

Sherwood R-972 with its version of the Trinnov Optimizer

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

PSB Imagine T2, Center, and Surrounds (as of 5/2014); HSU ULS-15 subs (2)

The Audyssey FAQ Guide can be found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/...

Old 03-07-2012, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

No it was mostly I'm to hyped up and excited to RTFM lol I haven't tried zone 2 yet as I am still waiting on my speaker cable to come in
Old 03-07-2012, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:

Denon official app doesn't list my receiver but i tried it anyway with no luck, same as the poster above I input my ip and it does nothing then erases the ip

I used to have this problem. I went to my netgear router LAN set up and reserve a DHCP ip for the Denon and it is always there when using the Denon free app. It works for both of my Denons (I have 2 Denon rcvs)
Old 03-07-2012, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post

I used to have this problem. I went to my netgear router LAN set up and reserve a DHCP ip for the Denon and it is always there when using the Denon free app. It works for both of my Denons (I have 2 Denon rcvs)

What models? I have the 3808ci and manually input the ip on the unit as well as setting up the reservation in my router, I can get to the web page over my network for the receiver and use both the denon off app and Deremote app, just the denon one will not work.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Updated my initial impressions Post

Chances are I will be doing a video review of sorts for each app once I can get everything setup properly in my home. I'll post them up here as I do.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

What models? I have the 3808ci and manually input the ip on the unit as well as setting up the reservation in my router, I can get to the web page over my network for the receiver and use both the denon off app and Deremote app, just the denon one will not work.

Denon is using a new undocumented xml-based protocol with their free app that only works with 2011+ models (xx12 series). Other apps connect via the so called telnet protocol.
doctorwizz likes this.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeRemote View Post

Denon is using a new undocumented xml-based protocol with their free app that only works with 2011+ models (xx12 series). .

Is that a good thing, or a bad thing? Assuming you have an AVR that the official Denon app supports.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:47 AM

Liked: 10
-- Repost from another thread --

Hello everyone

I recently added the 3312CI to be the brains of my home AV solution, I absolutely love this little box.

For those iPhone/iPad users - I'm also driven to remote control everything from the iPhone. What I've finally settled on are the following products that integrate quite nicely.

Typical situation -
PC with loads of media, runs Tveristy (free) and Asset uPnP ($26)
PS3 to stream Tversity vids, Netflix

1. RemoteX server (free) for PC, RemoteX applets for iPhone
2. PlugPlayer app
3. DeRemote app

With these apps and just the iPhone I can remotely powerup/shutdown the PC, create and stream playlists from my iPhone or PC library, change sources and push to any zone using DeRemote. I'm in audio heaven.

With RemoteX I'm also looking at pushing/controlling PC video from the couch (experimental stage) - for now the PS3/Tversity still does fine...but the iPhone PC control using RemoteX is pretty slick.

I'm always interested in hearing with others have done, to keep options open and try new things....but just thought I would share these few apps that really do work well together.

Cheers
HAC
Old 04-25-2012, 01:08 PM

Just a quick update to using the iPhone with app controls - I've added a machine running XBMC/RemoteX Server and with RemoteX app I now have smooth iPhone control over a great media streaming interface.

So with Deremote, RemoteX and PlugPlayer, the control and capabilities with just the iPhone is superb. With RemoteX I can also launch the browser to open the Netflix site, which IMHO is better than the PS3 or Sony integrated versions.

I may never leave the couch again.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I am having difficulty connecting any of the denon iphone/ipad apps to my 2312ci. My home network uses an apple airport extreme router and the Avr is connected to it with a cable.

Ideas?

Old 05-06-2012, 04:42 PM

I tried to install the free Denon Remote App on my iPod Touch 2g. Unfortunately, it won't work because Denon requires a newer version of IOS that can't be installed on the Touch 2g.

Is there an older version that will work with the Touch 2g? If so, where do I get it because I can only find the current version on iTunes.

DeRemote looks like it may work, but I wasn't planning on doing anything too fancy and wanted to try the free App first. If anyone is using DeRemote with the Touch 2g, please comment on how well it works for you. Thanks.

Cablevision - Explorer 8300HD- SARA
Western Digital 250 gb (WD2500KS)
Old 05-16-2012, 12:04 PM

Just installed the Denon Remote App on my ipad. Looks like its not optimized for the ipad even with their most recent release. I have to hit the 2x button and everything becomes fuzzy. Lame.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittletank View Post

I've tried the free app however it won't accept my IP address.

I dont mind paying for one as long as I can adjust channel levels with it.

Any recommendations?

Hello...I downloaded the Denon Remote App and I am having the same problem as you did with it not accepting the IP address. Did you ever figure that out? I have the AVR1912. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 05-21-2012, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne7431 View Post

Hello...I downloaded the Denon Remote App and I am having the same problem as you did with it not accepting the IP address. Did you ever figure that out? I have the AVR1912. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Make sure you give your receiver a static IP.

I've been using DeRemote now for a while. I like it OK. Not sure I like the layout, though. Why do we need to waste 1/3 of the screen with tuner presets? I don't even have an antenna hooked up!
Old 06-16-2012, 06:29 PM

Does anyone know which port the Denon AVR-1913 receives commands from the iPhone/iPad/iPod on? (Presumably all the Denons listen on the same port.)

I would like to forward the correct port to the Denon, so that I can turn the unit on and off remotely, when I'm not at home (i.e., over the internet.)

Thanks!
Old 07-13-2012, 08:33 AM

Can you connect to the receiver with more than one device at a time? I have a 2313 and have no problems connecting with my iPhone. However it will never allow my wife to connect with her iPhone. Going to try my son's iPod tonight.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:57 PM

Has anyone had issues with DLNA playback when using the app? Mine will play one song and either stop playing/repeat the same song over and over. This only happens if I have the app off screen, when on screen the app works fine and playback is fine. Unfortunately I have 2000+ albums so using the app interface as opposed to the TV interface is more of a necessity than a convenience.

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-custom/thread.cgi?27903

The guy at the bottom of the thread is having the same issue.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:21 PM

Liked: 11
Am I the only one upset with Denon releasing their remote app for Android and not supporting models before xx13?
If so drop them a line and let 'em know.
I called and their official position is they have no plans to update the app but at least I'm "on record" as disappointed.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:16 AM

So I'm the proud new owner of an AVR-2313CI and was wondering what the consensus was for the best IOS and Android remote apps (free or pay).

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 519
issue with Denon remote app

AVR-A100 on wired network with several devices incl Olive HD music server

Denon app shows cover art from the Olive flac files which is big for me: only a few do this

but the Olive is difficult to connect automatically:sometimes it sees it and connects

if I type in the static IP it searches but nothing:

I can connect to the Olive from several other IP devices including iPad app

I know there are reports of similar app issues: any fixes or workarounds?

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
Old 10-29-2012, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi all,

Dumb question... how do I change sources using the iPhone version of the DeRemote app?
Old 10-29-2012, 11:36 AM

On the bottom, there are 5 soft buttons. The second from the left is "Source". Make your selection. That should do it.

Cablevision - Explorer 8300HD- SARA
Western Digital 250 gb (WD2500KS)
Old 10-29-2012, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullishDad View Post

On the bottom, there are 5 soft buttons. The second from the left is "Source". Make your selection. That should do it.

That's the problem, my soft buttons are Settings, Home, Surround, Tuner and Media. No Source!

Tags
Denon Avr A100 100th Anniversary 9 2 140w , Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Denon Avr3312ci Receiver , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2312ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2112ci Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver , Denon Networkcd Receiver White Rcd N7w 100v 50 60hz Japanese Import , Denon Avr 4308ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4306b 7 1 Ch Home Theater Multimedia A V Receiver Black
Gear in this thread